BNI Vs Chamber of Commerces

1 60 second commercial for each meeting and the 10 min. Presentation is usually once a year. Depends on how many members are in the group and how many times you meet a month.

Last edited:
The problem with BNI in my opinion is that when you are forced to provide leads, many times they are not that great. And since you are expected to refer within the Group (I know that BNI frowns upon going outside the group), if your Realitor or P&C person stinks, you are in a tough spot. And it may be you have your own Realitor or P&C guy you like to refer to...

I have been a member of many Chambers. The problem there is when you are at their mixers, you are with 50 other people trying to sell things. It's better to get on a committee and get to know the "do-ers" and leaders. Or on a Board.

I have also tried a business association. I like the idea except the one I joined was more of a social group hiding behind a business association. I gave referrals, joined the Board, led morning meetings with no results. When I compared that to a couple of Senior-related networking groups I'm in, I found that those beat my business association by quite a lot. So I guess a lot of depends on the people. Sometimes it is a fit and other times it isn't.

i've only been to one meeting but you only get 60 sec commercial? and only 1 10 min one per year?

A few things on this:

1. You should be meeting with members of your "Power Team" weekly as well. This will give you more opportunities to share/receive business and to present.

2. How many 10-minute presentations depends upon the number of members, obviously. If it's only 1 presentation per person, you might want to suggest having a 7-minute and a 5-minute presentation per week so that people get multiple opportunities annually.

3. Your 1-to-1 meetings outside the chapter meeting will get you most of your business.

4. Be specific in your 60-second infomercial.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The problem with BNI in my opinion is that when you are forced to provide leads, many times they are not that great. And since you are expected to refer within the Group (I know that BNI frowns upon going outside the group), if your Realitor or P&C person stinks, you are in a tough spot. And it may be you have your own Realitor or P&C guy you like to refer to...

You don't have to provide referrals for someone in the group. But if you have an issue with someone, you should be bringing that issue up in writing to the membership committee to address it before it becomes a bigger issue.

And you shouldn't be required to produce a referral each week. That leads to passing paper and not a good referral. It's a terrible practice.

Last edited:
One thing you'll definitely pick up at the chamber of commerce is marketing tips. Most owners will be more than happy to discuss what works and what doesn't work.

I picked up a flyer method that I use right now (other business) - hire someone to go BtoB with flyers but pay per flyer. How do you know they got put out and not thrown in the trash? To get paid they have to bring back business cards and actually get paid per business card.

Then for follow up, you wait a day and call the owner "following up on the flyer...."

Spend an extra few bucks and have the people putting out the flyers wear embroidered shirts with your biz name.

Back