BNI Vs Chamber of Commerces

VolAgent said:
Your best referrer, the p&c guy, probably isn't going to send you a darn thing. Depending on how long he has been with State Farm, he is under the gun to sell their life products and their med supps. And even if he doesn't have to sell it and doesn't want to sell it, he's probably use to referring it to the FA or LTCi guy.

Check it out, but don't get your hopes up.

Yeah I got that impression from the SF guy He even had the nerve to try to talk with me about the opportunity of starting a State Farm agency. There was a CPA that was very excited about referring out to me. She said she needs someone with my expertise.

Yeah I got that impression from the SF guy He even had the nerve to try to talk with me about the opportunity of starting a State Farm agency. There was a CPA that was very excited about referring out to me. She said she needs someone with my expertise.

That says a lot about the State Farm guy.

I guess he is bucking for management. Why in the world an agent would try to talk another person into opening an agency in the same town is beyond me.

Also, it sounds like the others may not fully trust him if the CPA is already looking for someone else to refer to.

OR

They are use to this game. He's trying to run you off and she is trying to get some more bodies into the group.

VolAgent said:
That says a lot about the State Farm guy.

I guess he is bucking for management. Why in the world an agent would try to talk another person into opening an agency in the same town is beyond me.

Also, it sounds like the others may not fully trust him if the CPA is already looking for someone else to refer to.

OR

They are use to this game. He's trying to run you off and she is trying to get some more bodies into the group.

Yeah. I thought it was odd for him to bring that up in 10 minutes. One of his customer service ladies was there and she spoke about life. I suspect they are trying to cover 2 seats. Which on my opinion that will really dampen the circle of referrals.

I just want Medicare and/or term stuff.

I joined a networking group this week. They want me to do a 10 minute presentation on what I do to the entire group.

I can join the group as either the Home and Auto guy or the business insurance guy. Any reason to choose 1 over the other?
I personally am leaning towards the Home and Auto because that's my bread and butter..If I do choose personal lines what would/should be the theme of my presentation?

Thanks

Why would you join for anything other than you bread and butter unless you were planning to expand into it??

Do it on why you. What are you going to do for their clients that the referral's current agent isn't doing. How are you going to make the referrer, the BNI member, look better to their client.

Basically, approach it from this perspective. If you were sending a referral to another member, what would you want to happen? I presume you want the referral taken care of and to feel even better about you.

Vol,

Definitely planning to expand into commercial insurance..but my ultimate goal is to insure 500 cars and then branch out into my own agency.

I like your ideas on what to bring out in my presentation. Heres how it will go:

Please give me your thoughts:

1. Introduce Self (including years in business and what type of clientel i am looking for. (anyone that owns a home, a car, rents, basically this includes everyone they know.)

2. Speak to the group for 1 minute on what my goals are: I am looking to insure 500 cars within the next year so that I can open up my own agency..I need your help to do that, I believe that we all need to know what each others goals are so that we can do our part in assisting each person here reach those goals.. but I know your not interested in just my goals but more as to why you would want to refer your friend, mother, sister, brother, aunt, uncle...to me as their agent.

3. Here are the why's: I am independent..I believe that most people like to do business with people that they like..If you decide that you like a Captive insurance agent say.. a State Farm, Allstate, Farmers agent that only has 1 company that they are able to sell for.. yes, you have a sense of loyalty to that agent because you like them..but when your premium goes up next year or in 6 months or whatever.. As much as you like that Agent his hands are tied and he cannot do anything for you except hope that you keep doing business with him. How am I different? I represent 20 different TOP Insurance companies that I can shop for you, if I place you with 1 carrier whose rates go up after a year, I can shop with my other 19 carriers and 9 times out of 10 I can get you something better. You don't have to start a new relationship with a new agent not knowing if he's going to take care of your needs..

4. When you refer me to the people closest to you you are very interested in how this will reflect upon you.. well not only do I have the means to keep the premiums of your referrals at a competitive rate because of all the carriers that I represent, but my office also includes a dedicated staff of customer service representatives that will be there when they have questions or policy change requests. I am not a 1 man show but backed by licensed support members that have over 75 years of insurance experience combined. If i'm out of the office you have my cell #, if I can't get to it right away one of my CSR's will take care of it promptly.

When your referrals are taken care of by me and recieve the one on one attention that they are not used to, they will remeber that this relationship between them and I was started by you and will continue then to trust that when you reccommend a product or service of your own to them, they know it can be trusted, this will allow you to maintain a long lasting relationship with your clients.

If I might suggest, doing your presentation on 'Why You' is a good suggestion, but somewhat incomplete.

You want to spend a moment or 2 explaining what would be a good referral. For home and auto, this is pretty easy, but people don't think about it. You need to explain the catalyst events.

So it might be something simple like:
My ideal client is a married couple with a couple of kids, own their home, couple of cars, even better if they own a small business. What I'm looking for though is couples that have that 'new teenage driver' or are just buying a home, or even selling their home. Recently got a ticket or had an accident? Premiums went through the roof? Great time to have them review the policies.

Just married? Combining assets? Lets make sure they are covered. Just divorced? How long did that marriage last? We need to talk to make sure things are taken care of....

The goal is to plant the seed that life events are insurance events. When someone talks to someone about these things, they are likely a decent referral.

Dan

If I might suggest, doing your
presentation on 'Why You' is a good suggestion, but somewhat incomplete.

You want to spend a moment or 2 explaining what would be a good referral. For home and auto, this is pretty easy, but people don't think about it. You need to explain the catalyst events.

So it might be something simple like:
My ideal client is a married couple with a couple of kids, own their home, couple of cars, even better if they own a small business. What I'm looking for though is couples that have that 'new teenage driver' or are just buying a home, or even selling their home. Recently got a ticket or had an accident? Premiums went through the roof? Great time to have them review the policies.

Just married? Combining assets? Lets make sure they are covered. Just divorced? How long did that marriage last? We need to talk to make sure things are taken care of....

The goal is to plant the seed that life events are insurance events. When someone talks to someone about these things, they are likely a decent referral.

Dan

As always great stuff Dan..I will definitely add this to the rpesentation..Quick question on the Divorce thing..why am I concerned with how long their previous marriage lasted?

That was actually supposed to be funny. Read in context, it was talking about getting married, next statement is about getting divorced.

It sounds better when it is spoken, doesn't work so well when read I guess.

Beyond that, you might care how long they were married, though you care more if there are children in the marriage when they get divorced. Good chance to talk about a life policy, though its probably not a great time to get them to get it, just plant the seed for 6 months if needed.

Dan

That was actually supposed to be funny. Read in context, it was talking about getting married, next statement is about getting divorced.

It sounds better when it is spoken, doesn't work so well when read I guess.

Beyond that, you might care how long they were married, though you care more if there are children in the marriage when they get divorced. Good chance to talk about a life policy, though its probably not a great time to get them to get it, just plant the seed for 6 months if needed.

Dan

Haha..ok I missed that. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back