BNI Vs Chamber of Commerces

People ware what they would to work. If you see your clients in a suite then ware one if it's a polo and dockers then ware that.

i did some general research on reviews, there are so many negativity surrounding BNI. I guess i'll have to go and see for myself.

I was President of our BNI chapter for a year, and during the summer I wore shorts to every meeting. People knew that I take Friday off during the summer to spend with the family, so there wasn't any "lack of respect," and many people started doing the same thing. It's no big deal, but just don't slum it, and try to build up some goodwill prior to dressing outside of your normal daily attire.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
i did some general research on reviews, there are so many negativity surrounding BNI. I guess i'll have to go and see for myself.

Every chapter is different, and more often than not, the people who complain about BNI "not working for them" are the people who are most unwilling to put in time to build relationships, understand the products/services of the other members, and are there "to get something."

You join a BNI group for support and to have a solid network around you that will result in business IF you're engaged and working to grow everyone's business in the process.

Last edited:
iiinycboi said:

I say check it out. What State are you in?
Feedback: So attended the newly forming chapter and out of the nine people that were there only 2 introduced themselves. I was a little turned off. But I did talk to the chapter coordinator and she was understanding that I would like to attend again to see if I'm more comfortable. I'm also going to attend a more established group. My only reservation about that group is there is a financial planner who sells life, a p and c guy-state farm- who sells life, a
LTCI guy who does life. I would be interested in going in as Medicare supplement, term life Anyone's thoughts?

Last edited:
Feedback: So attended the newly forming chapter and out of the nine people that were there only 2 introduced themselves. I was a little turned off. But I did talk to the chapter coordinator and she was understanding that I would like to attend again to see if I'm more comfortable. I'm also going to attend a more established group. My only reservation about that group is there is a financial planner who sells life, a p and c guy-state farm- who sells life, a
LTCI guy who does life. I would be interested in going in as Medicare supplement, term life Anyone's thoughts?

Five people in our chapter handle life insurance, and it's technically my category. We have an agreement amongst us, however, that the person who would fit best with the prospect is who should be introduced. It just works that way.

All of this conversation makes me realize that I'm in a great chapter, and there are many crappy ones out there.

Your best referrer, the p&c guy, probably isn't going to send you a darn thing. Depending on how long he has been with State Farm, he is under the gun to sell their life products and their med supps. And even if he doesn't have to sell it and doesn't want to sell it, he's probably use to referring it to the FA or LTCi guy.

Check it out, but don't get your hopes up.

Regarding the chamber of commerce; you need to be "that guy" to really make it work well for you.

I'm not an extrovert in social situations where I don't know anyone. You really need to be the kind of person who loves to mingle and knows how to promote what you do without over-promoting.

I found that joining my chamber and attending some functions gave my business a quick shot in the arm. But that, effects wears off quickly. As I came to see, the same people went to all the functions which means I was seeing the exact same people function after function.

Returns diminished over time and after a few months, I saw little benefit to going to any functions. It also got a bit old having everyone else pitch me on their businesses.

All of that said, you should join just for the credibility factor.

Certain products/services work in BNI, some don't. Individual health insurance and term life are two of the best niches. FA's don't do IFP, CPA's love tax deductions with HSA's, the mortgage guy knows his clients need term life to protect the mortgage, the lawyer is doing estate planning needing life products. Your "financial" circle are your best friends and make up 1/3 of the group. When you look at the rest of the group, it's made up of 1/3 contractors, and 1/3 health related/MLM's. Each of them are small business owners and need your product. Over half of the 40 members were clients. Turnover in a group happens, and is your new blood for new biz.

For me, it was perfect timing. The prior agent, selling at the same agency as I, selling the same product.....got nothing out of the group. It went downhill when a senior member went fishing with him, and the agent wanted a commitment of business before heading to shore. BNI is for expert small biz consultants, not salespeople.

I always used the services of members in the group, even if it cost a little more. I used the flower lady, the mobile car wash/oil change guy, the plumber (still my best friend), the lawyer, computer guy, promo item, etc. But I never used or referred those that provided bad services (and you'll hear about them), or non necessity items like Avon, or Juice Plus, or any other MLM type. Do right to members and their referrals, or you'll be alienated REAL quick. It's really looks bad on you, when you refer your client, who then gets screwed. Ex: Client wants new deck, refer BNI member, who screws up deck, not a fun next client meeting.

for whoever is wondering, i just came back from a precore meeting, (pretty much trying to become a official chapter and recruiting members)

I was worried that it would be intimidating and kinda of a free for all where you just choose people to talk to. It turns out its really structured well, and people are good to work with. You do take turns giving your pitch and then have after hours talks with people you want to work with.

I think BNI is a great source for insurance agents, but there seems to be a lot of them so get your applications early, i was told.

Anyways, good experience, i left early but i noticed everyone was taking notes, whats that about?

For BNI,

are you penalized for not having referrals within the first few months?

do they typically look for established businesses?

If you can't supply referrals don't waste other members time. We pay money to go there and not real fond of wasting our time.

Our motto is "givers gain". If you don't give don't expect to gain....
People ware what they would to work. If you see your clients in a suite then ware one if it's a polo and dockers then ware that.

and I thought my spelling sucked, WOW!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back