BOR Drama / Right VS Wrong

This part of the business must be different. In group, a friendship usually rules if the friend is as competent as the other agent. Sometimes it wins even when the friend is incompetent.

I've found business where a client of a friend was upset about one thing or another. I worked to straighten things out and keep my friend as agent on a commission split with me. Everyone was better off. 100% of $0 ain't much.

If you can get the business, go get it. It has already been established that the other agent will take anything he can. I'd say his entire block is fair picking for you if you can get it. He could have worked something out using your carriers/knowledge and his relationship. He chose to go after the business for himself. Treat the client well.

This part of the business must be different. In group, a friendship usually rules if the friend is as competent as the other agent. Sometimes it wins even when the friend is incompetent.

I've found business where a client of a friend was upset about one thing or another. I worked to straighten things out and keep my friend as agent on a commission split with me. Everyone was better off. 100% of $0 ain't much.

If you can get the business, go get it. It has already been established that the other agent will take anything he can. I'd say his entire block is fair picking for you if you can get it. He could have worked something out using your carriers/knowledge and his relationship. He chose to go after the business for himself. Treat the client well.

This bold portion I don't agree with. The rules of a cluster are that you work as a team to share the opportunity of accessing markets you otherwise wouldn't be able and the profit sharing portion. Just because 1 person breaks that trust (breach of contract), I don't think that means it's fair game for everyone.

Believe it or not.... I actually believe you did the 100% correct thing!

Look, you did nothing wrong. This is business. When there are 48,000 licensed agents in your little state, you play to win, you play to PROVE there is a difference between you and the other 47,800 licensed guys.

This is part of being a business owner.

@Placement: "This bold portion I don't agree with. The rules of a cluster are that you work as a team to share the opportunity of accessing markets you otherwise wouldn't be able and the profit sharing portion. Just because 1 person breaks that trust (breach of contract), I don't think that means it's fair game for everyone."

He has demonstrated that he isn't working on your team. He is in fact working on his team and intentionally going against the agreed rules. Like I said, I have friends whose business I won't take. In the event that I was offered the business, I'd be up front with my friend and discuss how to proceed and work something out that doesn't damage the friendship or lose the business. Money doesn't take priority over friends.

FWIW, I worked at a life agency that had the unwritten agreement that any agent calling on another's client would split the commission and anything received from referrals out to the level of the 2nd referral tier. That system worked well and propagated joint work.

This guy isn't playing by those rules. Take what you can. I'd expect him to go after more of your business if he can find an excuse. Also, take this as a warning to strengthen your relationship with your clients.

Last edited:
I get that sales is a competitive business. However there is non compete within the same agency for many and that needs to be respected.

^^^^^ That's my take on this. Just because this guy is in the wrong by taking a colleagues business, doesn't mean the flood gates should open for everyone to do the same.

Cluster's rely on everyone being honest and doing the right thing, it's how the operate and gain marketshare. Without this, there's no loyalty and the system is flawed.

^To be clear...the guy BORed a client from me simply because he was personal friends w/ the client. I turned around and provided quotes from carriers I have that the other agent doesn't, that are saving a ton of money for the client. With the carriers the other agent has, he can't offer any savings.

It's between ME...and the agent who originally BORed my account away.

You are totally in the right here. The deal with a cluster is that you don't touch your cluster partner's business and if you do, you give them a heads up prior to doing anything to make sure they are ok with it.

Doesn't sound like that happened here and I would be frank with him. Is that 1 PL client worth him losing his contract with the cluster if complaints starting rolling in?

The moral of the story is that just because he broke the 'unwritten rule', doesn't mean you should follow suit. I'm not accusing you of that, just replying to those above who suggested you should attack his book.

Not attacking his book (I don't even know how I would do that?) I'm just going after the client he BORed.

I would not solicit any other clients of his.

Back