Brand New Agent!

omaerdna

Recently passed my Life/Annuities exam in FL and remember nothing..... Now I need to choose an area upon which to focus i.e. FE, Mortgage Protection, etc. Plus could use a mini/crash course to UL/Term/Whole Life, etc. Want very much to be successful and don't think many managers want to hold my hand, but that's what it feels like I need. Any suggestions? (Please don't tell me to get a job at McDonald's!!:)

Recently passed my Life/Annuities exam in FL and remember nothing..... Now I need to choose an area upon which to focus i.e. FE, Mortgage Protection, etc. Plus could use a mini/crash course to UL/Term/Whole Life, etc. Want very much to be successful and don't think many managers want to hold my hand, but that's what it feels like I need. Any suggestions? (Please don't tell me to get a job at McDonald's!!:)

I hope you were joking about not remembering anything. If you were serious then, yes, you do need to pick another line of work. Hopefully one that you can't ruin someone's life by your lack of knowledge.

As for needing to learn the different types of life insurance, I assume you at least bought a study manual. In the Florida (26th edition) study guide read unit 5 (starting on page 83). At least know that much. You would also benifit by reading unit 4.

In all honesty I had to calm down a bit before I wrote this. Agents that get out there and write policies without knowing what they're supposed to know gives all the rest of us a bad name. Last month I wrote a guy that used to have a 1st to die Joint Life. After his wife died he thought he was still covered, he wasn't. This guy during his lifetime had been screwed twice by past agents. Granted he always has the option to read his policies, but really, not many do. Our clients rely on our knowledge and honesty to help them. Anything less is just wrong.

Can I get that with no pickles?

Last edited:
Jerard, let's get real here. Licensing exams are simply glorified IQ tests to see if you're intelligent enough to memorize a few things and take an exam. It's all about seeing if you can be held liable for your actions. (That's why states require a license - for liability purposes, NOT for 'competency'.)

omaerdna, you are now licensed, with nobody to see and no presentation to give even if you did see them.

You need training. And it's part of the dues you pay in order to be successful long-term in this industry. You may *think* (read that as 'assume') that no manager wants to 'hand-hold' you, but that's part of what they get paid to do.

Find some agencies in your local area and interview with them. Learn about them as much as they will want to learn about you. Even if you affiliate with a company for a short time until you are functional on your own... it's one of the 'rites of passage' we all do in this industry.

Once you find a company, in addition to taking any in-house courses, I would also highly recommend that you enroll in LUTCF courses through The American College. These are basic sales skill classes and nearly every agency should reimburse each class as you successfully pass them.

Academics - Insurance Education - LUTCF - Insurance Skills - The American College

You might start by purchasing some of these products yourself. I bet if you are putting your hard earned dollars into them you will want to know what they mean and do. Find a mentor. Every 8 seconds someone is retiring. Guarantee there is an old life guy that would love to talk shop and share his experience. You could borrow his stories and carry them through your career until you get some of your own.

I just got my P&C license and I'm in the process of opening my own agency. I already a member of wholesale Broker (Appalachian Underwriters) which will provide most of the carriers that I need but it is very difficult to find an insurance carrier to appoint me. I need to have at least one appointment in order to get my agency license. I'm located in West Palm Beach Florida. If anyone knows any insurance carrier that will appoint new agents in Florida please let me know. I tried Progressive, and some others when they check my license in the state database it shows that I have no current appointment therefore they denied my application.

You might start by purchasing some of these products yourself. I bet if you are putting your hard earned dollars into them you will want to know what they mean and do. Find a mentor. Every 8 seconds someone is retiring. Guarantee there is an old life guy that would love to talk shop and share his experience. You could borrow his stories and carry them through your career until you get some of your own.

Or he might do like Kramer did and sell them to you for $8 per story.:twitchy:

I just got my P&C license and I'm in the process of opening my own agency. I already a member of wholesale Broker (Appalachian Underwriters) which will provide most of the carriers that I need but it is very difficult to find an insurance carrier to appoint me. I need to have at least one appointment in order to get my agency license. I'm located in West Palm Beach Florida. If anyone knows any insurance carrier that will appoint new agents in Florida please let me know. I tried Progressive, and some others when they check my license in the state database it shows that I have no current appointment therefore they denied my application.

I'm not familiar with Florida but in SC I had my agency license first. Then E&O. Then Appointment.

I hope you were joking about not remembering anything. If you were serious then, yes, you do need to pick another line of work. Hopefully one that you can't ruin someone's life by your lack of knowledge.

As for needing to learn the different types of life insurance, I assume you at least bought a study manual. In the Florida (26th edition) study guide read unit 5 (starting on page 83). At least know that much. You would also benifit by reading unit 4.

In all honesty I had to calm down a bit before I wrote this. Agents that get out there and write policies without knowing what they're supposed to know gives all the rest of us a bad name. Last month I wrote a guy that used to have a 1st to die Joint Life. After his wife died he thought he was still covered, he wasn't. This guy during his lifetime had been screwed twice by past agents. Granted he always has the option to read his policies, but really, not many do. Our clients rely on our knowledge and honesty to help them. Anything less is just wrong.

Can I get that with no pickles?
I greatly appreciated your thoughts. The reason I've posted is that Iam unwilling to even consider speaking with a client w/o the necessary knowledge. The agent from the first company I chose to align my self with, actually told me to go out and door knock. This is w/o ever seeing a presentation and having virtually no materials to refer to. So..... I'm a little more than just frustrated and confused.

Back