Brightway vs Goosehead - Franchise Agency Opportunities

Totally understand. Honestly I was back and forth between the two companies for a while. Both have similar models. If anyone has any questions my office is out of Virginia Beach and I’ll give you my honest opinion. I’m not a recruiter I’m an agency owner. I’ll give you the good bad and everything in between. It’s a huge decision so make sure you speak to multiple people from many different companies. I called over 20 random agents from both companies and I would encourage anyone else to do the same.

There are companies that specifically hire and train VA's for insurance service work. I know several agents who are producing 100k a month in premium and have zero in house staff. They use only VA's. Franchise contracts sound great upfront until you have a 5 million dollar book and are giving away 50%. I started from scratch over 6 years ago and although it was less than enjoyable, I couldn't imagine giving up 50% right now. My only regret is not knowing about VA's before I started hiring in house staff.

Just my two cents

What is a “VA”?

My thought process is paying for customer service is expensive and a lot of liability. Would also need a manager and other staff which all adds to the cost. Then there is the systems and learning everything on your own. I know a lot of others who own both captive and independent and when everything is done in said this was an amazing happy medium. I totally agree giving away 50% sounds bad however my service team does all the back end work and I can focus on doing what I do best and that’s selling insurance with very little overhead.

My thought process is paying for customer service is expensive and a lot of liability. Would also need a manager and other staff which all adds to the cost. Then there is the systems and learning everything on your own. I know a lot of others who own both captive and independent and when everything is done in said this was an amazing happy medium. I totally agree giving away 50% sounds bad however my service team does all the back end work and I can focus on doing what I do best and that’s selling insurance with very little overhead.

So Franchising out with GH they do take 50% of renewals. When thinking about that do we know what the difference in compensation is from being a corporate agent vs a franchise owner. It seems like franchise you are still not in ownership of your book.

FYI i'm currently interviewing for a corporate agent position with GH and looking for what might be the best options further in my career. I saw someone post about buying someone else's book if they were retiring for example and if that might be the best way to transition into being completely independent.

Don't think I can do that out of the gate, getting some experience and some money in the bank first. Unless you wanna hire me and show me the ropes hahaha

I am a Goosehead Agency owner and I am new here as well. . I agree, some of the things are out of context. I am not really interested in re-hashing a debate that started a year ago. But if someone has questions, reach out.

Last edited:
I was all in on GH, had a great ‘recruiter’ like the model made sense for me. Then I had a “interview”with a director of sales in my state. That was the nail in the coffin. Guy was arrogant, cocky and I could tell his power trip would impede my ability to do business. Told me don’t worry about training do what your told. Not the franchise for me.

Back