Brightway vs Goosehead - Franchise Agency Opportunities

Bad Trout, I am not seeing the reference you are referring to about the Contingency bonuses, but you are correct. They are not small amounts of money and it is a big deal! For groups to explain it away as nothing, or chump change is rubbish. Those checks are large and should be shared.

I was all in on GH, had a great ‘recruiter’ like the model made sense for me. Then I had a “interview”with a director of sales in my state. That was the nail in the coffin. Guy was arrogant, cocky and I could tell his power trip would impede my ability to do business. Told me don’t worry about training do what your told. Not the franchise for me.
I disagree with you and @BADTROUT . When you buy a franchise, you buy a system. If you want to do and figure it out on your own, nothing is stopping you. If you buy a McDonald's you go to Hamburger Univ, you do it their way, why? Because it works. I will say this, and I can tell from your posts you won't agree but that is fine, if you think you are going to open a captive agency and they are not going to tell you what to do, you are sorely mistaken. If you think you are going to go inde and its going to go smoothly, you are sorely mistaken. There is a reason that insurance is the largest section of the "proverbial" yellow pages (LOL, they don't really exist anymore but my point is still the same). I am not saying GH doesn't have issues, but this is "as you perform so shall you prosper" mechanics which is more than I can say about state farm, allstate and farmers. Those were choices I checked out before settling on this. AND this isn't my first rodeo. So, do what fits your budget and conscience best. But if you go into this looking to "put a nail in the coffin" it won't be hard to find... for any business model. Good luck.

I disagree with you and @BADTROUT . When you buy a franchise, you buy a system. If you want to do and figure it out on your own, nothing is stopping you. If you buy a McDonald's you go to Hamburger Univ, you do it their way, why? Because it works. I will say this, and I can tell from your posts you won't agree but that is fine, if you think you are going to open a captive agency and they are not going to tell you what to do, you are sorely mistaken. If you think you are going to go inde and its going to go smoothly, you are sorely mistaken. There is a reason that insurance is the largest section of the "proverbial" yellow pages (LOL, they don't really exist anymore but my point is still the same). I am not saying GH doesn't have issues, but this is "as you perform so shall you prosper" mechanics which is more than I can say about state farm, allstate and farmers. Those were choices I checked out before settling on this. AND this isn't my first rodeo. So, do what fits your budget and conscience best. But if you go into this looking to "put a nail in the coffin" it won't be hard to find... for any business model. Good luck.

I can truly respect a respectful dissension.

This is what I love about the true independence of the industry... and I completely agree with you that you can be successful in any environment no matter how good or bad that system may be. It's proven time and time again that even with the worst of the worst there is the cream that rises to the top.

Please understand, that my disdain for the system comes from the constraints and lack of some of the absolute best parts of independence, but certainly no judgment on anyone it works for. If you are happy, and successful, then no one has any room to tell you that what you did was wrong.

I think unfortunately many people take the sales pitch and drink the kool-aid for this program or that without really knowing ALL of their options... further they don't realize what they didn't know until they have entered a covenant they cannot easily exit.

I can truly respect a respectful dissension.

This is what I love about the true independence of the industry... and I completely agree with you that you can be successful in any environment no matter how good or bad that system may be. It's proven time and time again that even with the worst of the worst there is the cream that rises to the top.

Please understand, that my disdain for the system comes from the constraints and lack of some of the absolute best parts of independence, but certainly no judgment on anyone it works for. If you are happy, and successful, then no one has any room to tell you that what you did was wrong.

I think unfortunately many people take the sales pitch and drink the kool-aid for this program or that without really knowing ALL of their options... further they don't realize what they didn't know until they have entered a covenant they cannot easily exit.
Well said. I can appreciate your feedback.

Still learning....

I am looking at Goosehead and have spoken to two franchisees. It sounds like In addition to the upfront costs, there is a monthly fee of around $500 for E&O and “technology” in addition to renting an office.

I also learned that it still takes a lot of time to get appointments. One person I spoke with said he’s been at it a year and is still not appointed with a number of carriers. I thought this is what you are paying for when you sign up.

@Woods Rider I can understand your apprehension. From my POV, it takes time to get appointments locked in. Most of mine were done in the 2 weeks during training. Some won't start your appointment till you start training, and others started it before training started. I have 20 carriers I am currently appointed with and I can fully operate. I think if I were truely independent, knowing what I have from friends who own agencies, it can take 1-6 months to get an appointment on your own, and that is you doing all the work. So, to have 20 out of the gate is really nice. Like I said before, you are buying a hamburger joint and you are going to hamburger university, you don't have to buy a McDonald's franchise if you want to open a hamburger joint, but you do have to attend their program and do it their way if you want to have the success they said you can have with it. So decide, can you follow a system that has worked for hundreds or do you want to start Woods Rider Insurance and do it on your own. That is what you need to ask yourself.

I hear you. Thanks DW!
For example, I have been in a training all morning for the past hour. This is ALL about the premade templates for the mortgage companies, how to send, and what goes to the customer. These are tips and templates that save agents thousands of hours to create. Further, I used to sell CRM systems, templates are the hardest thing to set up. This is just ONE example of how hamburger university is paying off!

Back