Calling Vs Doorknocking

I'm telling you; you need to see a doctor about bipolar schizophrenia (or whatever is ailing you) before the symptoms get any worse.

Typical response from another pushy, overly aggressive, high-pressure insurance agent in this forum. Lots of them here. No need to wonder why we have the reputation we do... especially the door-knockers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignore the Als of the world. Door-knocking, cold calling and cold walking are interruptive marketing. For the majority of people, their reaction is determined by the timing. If they have time, they are receptive and will give you a few minutes. If they don't have time, they will brush you off as quickly as they can. They may or may not be rude in the process. But its nothing personal.

Ignore the Als of the world. Door-knocking, cold calling and cold walking are interruptive marketing.

Yes it is. But doorknocking OK for YOU to do because YOU are special and the privacy of MY property and home are of no concern to pushy, aggressive, high-pressure sales people (like you?) because as I said, YOU are special, having grown up with an entitlement mentality that whatever is good for YOU is good for everyone else.

So what if you interrupt my peace and privacy. It's far more important for you to tell me about your FE or MedSup or funeral plan... because you are so much smarter than I am and you know what I need better than I know what I need.

Therefore it is absolutely necessary that you ring my bell... even if I'm asleep, even if it at 9 PM, even if I'm sick and even if I have a sign saying not to.

You're entitled... because you are just so special. I'm sure Jesus told you so, too. Maybe you should become a Morman or join the Jehovah people and you can not only sell me insurance but convert me to whatever god you are sure that I should worship.

You insurance agents who doorknock are insufferable with your fractured logic about your right to interrupt and disturb people on their own property. You deserve the reputation you have. It's called... slime.

Yes it is. But doorknocking OK for YOU to do because YOU are special and the privacy of MY property and home are of no concern to pushy, aggressive, high-pressure sales people (like you?) because as I said, YOU are special, having grown up with an entitlement mentality that whatever is good for YOU is good for everyone else.

So what if you interrupt my peace and privacy. It's far more important for you to tell me about your FE or MedSup or funeral plan... because you are so much smarter than I am and you know what I need better than I know what I need.

Therefore it is absolutely necessary that you ring my bell... even if I'm asleep, even if it at 9 PM, even if I'm sick and even if I have a sign saying not to.

You're entitled... because you are just so special. I'm sure Jesus told you so, too. Maybe you should become a Morman or join the Jehovah people and you can not only sell me insurance but convert me to whatever god you are sure that I should worship.

You insurance agents who doorknock are insufferable with your fractured logic about your right to interrupt and disturb people on their own property. You deserve the reputation you have. It's called... slime.

Al, I agree with you more than most on here, but don't you think this was a little irrational?

And because you're a liberal you want us all to basically "shut the hell up" and let the people who don't know anything suffer because they don't know where to turn to for life insurance (or whatever else you're carrying on about)???

You are NOT a prospect for insurance. Therefore, your opinion on the matter means NOTHING. Why? Because you're an AGENT.

When doing interruption marketing, we (as highly pressuring agents - HA!) are looking for only 2 things: Chemistry and timing.

If you can "hit it off", great! If you can't - move on.

If the timing is good, great! If the timing isn't right - ask to follow up.

Individual Life insurance of all kinds is at a 50-year low. With all the other legal obstacles, one of the ways to simply "get the word out" is by canvassing door to door.

It's the same thing with religion.

It's the same thing with politics.

There ARE polite door-to-door salespeople out there. Maybe they just don't exist up in the bay area?

Some people make things happen.

Some people watch things happen.

Some wonder what happened.

No comment.

We are beginning to be very isolated as a people; traditionally we were never this way. People were, for centuries, willing to listen to what a person had to say when they came around- whether they needed help, or were offering it.

And because you're a liberal you want us all to basically "shut the hell up" and let the people who don't know anything suffer because they don't know where to turn to for life insurance (or whatever else you're carrying on about)???

I see, so because you are "called" to spread the gospel of insurance (or whatever else one might sell) this calling gives you the right to violate private property rights as well as privacy rights.

When doing interruption marketing, we (as highly pressuring agents - HA!) are looking for only 2 things: Chemistry and timing.

Why is it called "interruption marketing?" Because it interrupts me. Now tell me, were do you get the entitlement to come on my property and violate my privacy? Is it somewhere in the Constitution or the Bill or Rights or the Magna Carta or in one of the books of the Christian bible?

If you can "hit it off", great! If you can't - move on.

If the timing is good, great! If the timing isn't right - ask to follow up.

You just assume that you have rights that you don't have. Why? Because you are special.

What if every hour of every day between 8 AM and 8 PM someone rang your bell soliciting for a charity or selling a product, or asking you to buy a stock or bond or whatever. Twelve callers a day. How are YOU going to feel about that... especially if you are sick... or you are working... or doing whatever it is you want to concentrate on doing?

Individual Life insurance of all kinds is at a 50-year low. With all the other legal obstacles, one of the ways to simply "get the word out" is by canvassing door to door.

I hear that church attendance is at a 50 year low. I hear that reading levels are at a 50 year low. I hear that saving rates are at a 50 year low. So does that give the zealots of every church in your town the right to ring your bell? Does that give every encyclopedia salesman in your city the right to knock on your door... over and over if they wish? Does it give a BDO of ever bank the right to disturb you asking you to deposit money in their bank?

I don't know about encyclopedia reps these days, but there are a hell of a lot of churches and banks... enough in any mid-size town or small city to keep your door open every hour of every day.

And since you assume this entitlement to disturb me, I would assume that you have the right to jump over a locked fence. I mean after all, your mission has to be really important... or you would not be out there door-knocking, right? If you have the right to enter my property, why don't you have the right to jump the fence.

And if you can do that, where is it written that you can't just kick in the door to sell me your insurance? Will ringing the bell be any less intrusive if I'm asleep than if you just break down the door?

By your account I have no right to privacy. I have no right to forbid you from walking on my property and knocking on my door as often as you wish.

And by your account you are entitled by virtue of your insurance license and by virtue that what you are selling is so important that it gives you carte blanche to my door on my property?

I'm sorry folks. You can spin it as much as you want, but I fail to see where I have somehow relinquished my right to privacy and my right to NOT have to be bothered by someone wanting to talk to me at my front door.

And if your logic was correct, then it might follow that I have the right to hit you with a blast of pepper spray, or have my dog chase you, or maybe tag you with a stun gun?

Well, of course I don't have the right to cause you any discomfort... but you are entitled to cause me discomfort, right? Of course. Why? Because you and your generation have an entitlement such that the rules apply to everyone but you.

Al, if I were you, I'd move! You're obviously not happy where you're living. I get at MOST 1 solicitor per week.

Maybe one of those solicitors might be a real estate agent?

If you sold some more insurance, you might be able to afford a house in a gated community!

Once you find a place to move to, you can find a church. You can use some of the Lord's love in your heart. You're obviously a bitter man.

The Lord called the Seventy to go out 2 by 2 to preach the gospel.

My insurance license allows me to sell insurance.

My local solicitors permit allows me to solicit others at their homes to talk to them about insurance.

I suppose I'm "special" because I can do these things within the confines of the law - and I understand the law and respect others. It's quite simple!

But again, Al... you are NOT a prospect! So you don't MATTER! If I ran across you, what do I say??? NEXT!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is it somewhere in the Constitution or the Bill or Rights or the Magna Carta or in one of the books of the Christian bible?

Yes.

What if every hour of every day between 8 AM and 8 PM someone rang your bell soliciting for a charity or selling a product, or asking you to buy a stock or bond or whatever. Twelve callers a day. How are YOU going to feel about that... especially if you are sick... or you are working... or doing whatever it is you want to concentrate on doing?

I'd move.

I hear that church attendance is at a 50 year low. I hear that reading levels are at a 50 year low. I hear that saving rates are at a 50 year low. So does that give the zealots of every church in your town the right to ring your bell? Does that give every encyclopedia salesman in your city the right to knock on your door... over and over if they wish? Does it give a BDO of ever bank the right to disturb you asking you to deposit money in their bank?

You need to move to a gated community.

And since you assume this entitlement to disturb me, I would assume that you have the right to jump over a locked fence. I mean after all, your mission has to be really important... or you would not be out there door-knocking, right? If you have the right to enter my property, why don't you have the right to jump the fence.

Because the local laws and ordinances forbid it.

And if you can do that, where is it written that you can't just kick in the door to sell me your insurance? Will ringing the bell be any less intrusive if I'm asleep than if you just break down the door?

Because the local laws and ordinances forbit it.

By your account I have no right to privacy. I have no right to forbid you from walking on my property and knocking on my door as often as you wish.

By your account, every person who engages in capitalism and getting the word out about what they do is infringing on your privacy.

Is it a violation of privacy by forcing you to watch television commercials?

They might as well break down your door and sell you!

Or you can just ignore the door, break your door bell... or just MOVE.

And by your account you are entitled by virtue of your insurance license and by virtue that what you are selling is so important that it gives you carte blanche to my door on my property?

Insurance license allows me to sell insurance. If I thought breaking down doors would actually create loyal customers... I think more people would actually do it.

Could you please show us pictures of your broken door?

I'm sorry folks. You can spin it as much as you want, but I fail to see where I have somehow relinquished my right to privacy and my right to NOT have to be bothered by someone wanting to talk to me at my front door.

Let's get to the real point: You don't have any money and are tired of feeling like you can't help other people because you don't have any money.

And if your logic was correct, then it might follow that I have the right to hit you with a blast of pepper spray, or have my dog chase you, or maybe tag you with a stun gun?

If someone does something STUPID on my property, then such actions are probably necessary as part of protecting yourself and your property.

Well, of course I don't have the right to cause you any discomfort... but you are entitled to cause me discomfort, right? Of course. Why? Because you and your generation have an entitlement such that the rules apply to everyone but you.

I just agreed with you numbnuts.
By my account, you must also have a very hard time saying NO to salespeople!

You think that by kicking in the door, and jumping fences are the ways for salespeople to make sales???

What world are you living in?
1420474244_7435409db4.jpg

Last edited:
Al, just a refresher course. The Constitution governs the interaction between the Federal and State governments and the people. It does not govern the interaction between two private citizens.

That said, my job is to sell, as is yours. I do not create sales by deliberately harassing people. Of all the examples you've given about harassing door-knocking, none were from insurance agents. It sounds like the vast majority were teens that had not been taught basic etiquette. It sounds like a few others were cable, phone or satellite guys.

When the Mormons knock on my door, I just politely tell them "No thank you." and close the door. Try it sometime, you'll be amazed at how well it works.

Nor do I think I'm special, I'm just doing what is legally allowed. That said, I don't door-knock. I don't want to deal with the rejection, but I admire any one who can do it. I hate the idiots out there as much as the next guy. Again, no one is teaching proper marketing methods anymore.

Just something to remember Al, insurance was build on door-knocking. That was the original distribution method, cold calls didn't come until half a century or more later. The internet and leads is a very new thing. Strangely, the more we seem to rely on the new methods and the less on old methods, the worse the industry does.

Back