Can doctors refuse Med Supps from certain carriers?

Thanks Chazm and sshafran....I am still very new and have focused more on MAPD because in central Florida they sure do like those plans. I have only sold one supp, a Plan F, and wouldn't you know it....the first time the guy goes to his doctor with his very first Medicare visit, he has to pay $157 out of pocket because his doctor doesn't accept Medicare assignment. He calls me and asks what is he paying all this money for...I told him he will get reimbursed, and now he thinks he wants MAPD instead.
Back to the subject at hand....so do you mean when one goes to a doctor who accepts Medicare assignment, they don't have to bring their supplement into the equation at that time? That this all works in the background? I don't understand...please help. Thanks.

How long have you been selling mapd for? I’m in orlando, I live downtown right on Orange Ave, and I sell only about 10-12 apps per month. Of those, 4 are probably med supps. How have you not done any before? How are you presenting them?

Also good to know, LostDollar. Thanks.

It's just a simple matter of getting along with physician staff.

My physician does not accept Medicare advantage.
He does accept medicare assignment.
The billing people make no arguments in relation to "accepting" Medigap plans.

What the billing clerk DOES want to be able to do is track payment information for claims.

As a result their patient paperwork process requires both the Medicare card and the Medigap card.

As long as they are not telling me they won't accept insurance coverage they are required to accept, I am not going to be telling them how to monitor their cash flows/claims reimbursements in process.

I have a HiF, rather than a plain F, but that has all worked very smoothly over the last 12-14 months. Medicare processes the claims and the physician then bills me for the correct amount subject to my Plan F deductible.

No it’s not. You say, “here’s my insurance card” “it’s my Medicare card”. How do they know you have something else to go with it? The answer is, they don’t.
I'll have to disagree with you on that. If they insist on having it, you need to provide it.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. If they insist on having it, you need to provide it.

Or what? You can disagree all you want but a doctor will never require you to buy a med supp plan.
You’re saying I can’t walk into your doctors office and just give my medicare card. You’re 100% wrong here bud.
If they insist and I don’t have a med supp, they are turning people away? I doubt it

Or what? You can disagree all you want but a doctor will never require you to buy a med supp plan.
You’re saying I can’t walk into your doctors office and just give my medicare card. You’re 100% wrong here bud.
If they insist and I don’t have a med supp, they are turning people away? I doubt it
My Dr. wanted a copy of my Med Supp card for my file. They just want to make sure you have a Med Supp, if not they like you to pay what your Med Supp would.:yes:

@ LD, When switching some one to a different Med Supp company, I always tell the client that as a common courtesy they should show the Dr.'s office their new card.....but Medicare will get your claim whether the Dr. knows who your Med Supp is with or not.

My Dr. wanted a copy of my Med Supp card for my file. They just want to make sure you have a Med Supp, if not they like you to pay what your Med Supp would.:yes:

@ LD, When switching some one to a different Med Supp company, I always tell the client that as a common courtesy they should show the Dr.'s office their new card.....but Medicare will get your claim whether the Dr. knows who your Med Supp is with or not.

Yes. But they can’t force you to buy a med supp. If you don’t have your card you just give them your Medicare card. He’s saying they won’t see you if you don’t give them a med supp card. That’s just nuts.
I’m sure if they find out later on that you have a med supp and they want the info they can get it. But you’re not required to hand them a card.
I have one client that i signed up 5 years ago and she just told me she never got a med supp card lol

Yes. You are the one that is wrong. I have no idea what you can do in your doctors office, but I know what happens in mine. I went in with just my Medicare card and was specifically requested to bring my Med Supp card with me too on my next visit.

It would be stupid to tell them you don't have a medSupp if you do.

(And my doctor has plenty of patients.)

Yes. But they can’t force you to buy a med supp. If you don’t have your card you just give them your Medicare card. He’s saying they won’t see you if you don’t give them a med supp card. That’s just nuts.
I’m sure if they find out later on that you have a med supp and they want the info they can get it. But you’re not required to hand them a card.
I have one client that i signed up 5 years ago and she just told me she never got a med supp card lol
Oh, well if you don't have a Med Supp then they'll make you pay the 20% that Medicare doesn't after the Part B Deductible. No, they can't force you to buy a Med Supp....but they can force you to pay what Medicare doesn't...up front.

Back