Can You Have Too Much Integrity?

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm posting this question due to a personal conundrum that occurred this evening. I'm not looking for any kudos or criticisms, just opinions and thoughts.

The situation/story:

I've been working with a prospect since maybe July of last year. Nothing time consuming, just sending quotes and touching base every few months. Their current home, auto, and umbrella policies were set to renew on 01/14/2012. Life happens and things get pushed aside, insurance usually being one of them. She calls me today in a panic and wants to get everything started today because she hasn't paid the current company. I asked her to calm down; her company has a grace period. I firmed up the auto and umbrella policies and a majority of the home(needed house pictures and a rebuild figure). I went to their house, got signatures for the auto and a check for entire 6 month policy. She did not realize our policies are 6 months vs. her 1 year auto policy. In reality, my auto policy is about $200 more expensive for the same coverage per year. She said it's too late and still handed the check over. I got back to the office and worked up the rebuild, which came in just a little less than her current coverage. Instead of uploading the auto in an attempt to force the home and umbrella, I sent her an email explaining there was no rush and that I had not uploaded the auto policy. I asked her to review the policies she has and the ones I've presented over the weekend. I want them to switch because that's what they want to do, not because of a time crunch. In doing so, I will most likely not get the business. Their current company is a good company and I believe when they compare the premiums, we're more expensive. She sent an email thanking me for not uploading the auto and telling them to take their time over the weekend to review their options. She wrote she appreciated my integrity and honesty in giving them the weekend to think everything over.

Granted, I won't know the outcome until Monday, but I'm fairly certain price is going to trump integrity. So, can you have integrity and feed your family/build a big book of business? Realistically, I could have uploaded the auto, written the home and umbrella tomorrow. Sure, they'd have been a little apprehensive and had some buyers remorse, but over time that would dissipate. I call my insureds at every renewal to keep in contact.

I'm fairly indifferent to the situation as I did what I believe was the right thing to do and losing this one policy won't break the bank. In doing so, I earned $0 for a few hours of work. Have any of you made a similar decision and had it work out for the best in the long run? I've not been in the industry long enough to see if integrity pays greater dividends in the long run.

I think I could have gotten a good nights sleep even if I had written them. She created the time crunch and I stated the auto policy was a 6 month policy in my communications and it says 6 month policy on the quote. Uploading the policy wouldn't have necessarily been immoral or wrong.

One of Covey's "7 Habits" is "Win-Win Or No Deal". There will be plenty of win-win opportunities for you. I decided over 30 years ago that no sale was worth lying or misleading someone for it. By the same token, I don't apologize for earning a commission if I help a client.

Good for you, but you need to be careful in telling someone the other company has a grace period like that, you better be DAMN Sure and I wouldnt put it in writing in an email.

It happens once in a while where you can get people to pay more, not often, usually happens when you increase coverages, give them the next level up on the BI limits, might be slightly more, but they could pay for it and feel they are getting something extra.......

Good for you, but you need to be careful in telling someone the other company has a grace period like that, you better be DAMN Sure and I wouldnt put it in writing in an email.

It happens once in a while where you can get people to pay more, not often, usually happens when you increase coverages, give them the next level up on the BI limits, might be slightly more, but they could pay for it and feel they are getting something extra.......
Wouldn't an honest agent advise them to keep the coverage that is cheaper? I couldn't sleep at night selling that way.

As RBA said are you sure if there was a claim over the weekend their current company would cover it? In the meantime you have a check to Bind coverage which was their intention? This could be a bad situation...did you get applications signed? Just FYI I have a few carriers that will only reinstate with a lapse in coverage no exceptions.

I do applaud you though as you are certainly trying to do the right thing.

Wouldn't an honest agent advise them to keep the coverage that is cheaper? I couldn't sleep at night selling that way.

When your rate is higher you need to be able to create and sell the value you bring to the table. Don't be just another price salesman.

I've never advised someone I want to insure to stay put...can't imagine I ever will.

If a policy is due to renew on the 14th and it hasn't been paid on the 20th the renewal is not guaranteed that it will be renewed. Over the weekend by the time she pays it will be the 23rd before she pays it...I wouldn't guarantee every company I have will reinstate. Most will but not all and quite a few will require a no loss form. And if there was a loss-big problem. Even more of one if you are holding a signed application and a check!

I think he was doing the right thing when he realized his premiums were higher...just not sure if I would have spoken for the other company regarding their grace period.

Back