Car accident repair taking time - travelling overseas in meanwhile

Nishant

Hello everybody,

I got into a fender bender and reported to insurance company (at-fault) and the shop is saying it's going to take a minimum of 4 weeks to get it fixed.

Issue is I am travelling oversees/home country in 2 weeks for an extended vacation (Tickets, time off from work etc. were already booked months in advance).

Is there a way Insurance company will allow me to postpone the repairs for once I come back from vacation ? Is there a provision like that ? What are my options ? What should I do

Any help will be great.

Thanks
Nishant

You'll need to call the adjuster and tell (not ask) him/her that you will be out of the country and will be postponing the repairs until you get back.

Follow up with an email confirming what you are doing.

Just make sure you don't leave the car at the shop. You'll be charged for storage that the insurance company won't pay.

Thanks for the prompt response, very helpful.

So far the car hasn't been inspected by Insurance adjuster. I had just driven to closest Geico facility (without an appointment as 7 day wait).
So basically next steps:
I need to get an insurance adjuster assigned to my case. Let him come and do an inspection - per Geico he will give me a quote for the repairs. Then I have to tell him my interest is not in getting the quote but having it repaired by a Geico facility BUT after say 2 months once I am back.

Please let me know if that's the way to go ?

What happens if body shop delays the repair - will I still be on hook for storage charges ?

Thanks
Nishant

I need to get an insurance adjuster assigned to my case. Let him come and do an inspection - per Geico he will give me a quote for the repairs. Then I have to tell him my interest is not in getting the quote but having it repaired by a Geico facility BUT after say 2 months once I am back.

Please let me know if that's the way to go ?

You'll still need a preliminary estimate, but that's pretty much the way.

What happens if body shop delays the repair - will I still be on hook for storage charges ?

As long as the shop has the car to do the work, there's no storage charge. If the car stays there before you commit to the work, you could be charged for storage.

Since the car is drivable, keep it home until you have an appointment to meet the adjuster at the shop, then bring the car home.

Thanks a lot for your response.
Adjuster coming tentatively Monday.

Are these adjusters (who come home to check the car at your home) adequately able to assess mechnical/electrical/internal damage to car or they can only check the outside of the vehicle for body damage ? Car is just making a random noise from radiator when I make a turn so not sure if the damage is limited to bumper or internal parts also.

Sorry for questions but I am very new to all this and hence a little anxious.

Thanks
Nishant

An damage appraiser can list any damage that is visible. Once the car is in the shop and tear-down progresses, the shop tech can request a supplement for any hidden damage discovered. As for electrical issues, make sure, when you pick up the car that you check out all the electrical items before you leave the shop. If there are any electrical issues the shop tech will have to determine if those issues are related to the damage.

It's all routine.

Back