Celebrating my 100th Post

So, you are basically getting their email address on the first call and sending them to your site... and then follow up with a call in 2 days to further qualify/set appointment?

Yes - it's the zero confrontation approach with so many "sure - send the emails" that it takes the apprehension out of cold calling. Also, the more savvy owners are not gonna allow you to qualify them until you build a bit of a relationship and they come to trust you. Some of my deals take over 3 weeks to close. Fine by me.

2nd call is to ascertain interest and takes 10 seconds to find out if they want my help in going over plans and quotes. It's actually a very easy system and keeps me busy.

Last edited:
John, thanks for all this great advice you are generously willing to share.

One final question...

Do you only set the appointment on the 2nd call and wait for the 3rd call (appointment) to qualify and/or possibly close or set up a 4th call to close?

I know there may be variations of this format depending on the prospect and you may call an audible... but what would be biz as usual?

Thanks again John.

Al D.

That's case by case and depends on many factors. I could have a highly interested single person who "gets it" and will sign up on the second call. I could have 58 year old husband who hasn't run any of this past his wife yet - not a shot in hell I'd attempt any type of close on the 2nd call - more like the 5th call. This is where scripts go out to window and you can either read people and relate to them or you can't.

Thanks John... I knew that, just wanted to hear it from one of the best!

Thats where, in my opinion, this forum becomes a real asset because wheather your new to the business or sales in general... we all have bad days... pros and rookies... its good to be coached once in awhile. Thanks again.

That's case by case and depends on many factors. I could have a highly interested single person who "gets it" and will sign up on the second call. I could have 58 year old husband who hasn't run any of this past his wife yet - not a shot in hell I'd attempt any type of close on the 2nd call - more like the 5th call. This is where scripts go out to window and you can either read people and relate to them or you can't.

Great input on the subject John. Although I haven't been selling insurance as long as John, Scott, Bob or some of the vets on the board, what I have discovered is this.....

1) Stupid people sign up on the traditional one call call method OR people who already have done some homework and are very trusting of others.
2) Smart people take their time when making a big decision.
3) Average time for new deals averages right around 2 weeks when selling on the phone (stats probably will change via face to face appts.)
4) HSA's are extremely too complex for many people stuck in the traditional copay plan mentality (online webinars and/or spreadsheets help with to combat this face).
5) KISS is the best way to go with people. Only go into greater detail when asked specific questions.
6) People care about their hospitalization, prescription coverage, emergency room and maximum exposure.
7) Women want their OBGYN that they have had for the last 10-20 years so network checks are crucial and a great selling point.
8) Accident protection seals the deal, especially when it comes to children.
9) Callbacks to recent clients is important to understand why people buy from you or do not buy from you.
10) Jack and coke helps on the off days, as does hitting some golf balls.

Thanks John... I knew that, just wanted to hear it from one of the best!

Thats where, in my opinion, this forum becomes a real asset because wheather your new to the business or sales in general... we all have bad days... pros and rookies... its good to be coached once in awhile. Thanks again.

Forget about bad days - you'll be bad weeks. I have fantastic weeks where everything lines up nicely and I put in a good amount of business. I have other weeks when I can't get 'em to pull the trigger.

The toughest part of this biz is sitting alone in your house after a bad day and picking the phone up again. The natural feeling is "this is bullshit." The best thing you can do is just get into a habit of making "X" amount of calls per day and stick to it.

Back