Children's Insurance Availability?

R. Paul Aguirre

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hi guys, I am a life and annuity guy so I am afraid I do not know where to go regarding health info. I am looking for a 6 month plan for my 1 year old(2 in January) I contacted HealthNet and was told that they will find out soon if they can accept juvenile apps. Anthem I don't think is doing stand-alone juvenile plans right now either, any suggestions of where I can go to? I live in CA and would like to be the agent so I can learn a little more about health.

Thanks guys

I found this but... not really helpful.

Health Insurance Companies Will No Longer Write Child-only Po
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Blue Shield

Hey, thanks for the head's up. I am hoping HealthNet makes their decision soon(the lady on the phone said should have been today on whether they will continue to offer juv. ind. plans)because their 6 month single premium was $291.60 with a $1,000 deductible.

The cheapest B.S. plan with a similar deductible is $69/month and an out of pocket max of 2 1/2 times higher.

Last edited:
what's the OOP on the HN policy?

$2,000 but I am thinking that there is something up with the quoting engine that I used because when HealthNet sent me their application with rates the rate is $83/month and that's not jiving. Would HN offer such a discount on a single pay basis?

$2,000 but I am thinking that there is something up with the quoting engine that I used because when HealthNet sent me their application with rates the rate is $83/month and that's not jiving. Would HN offer such a discount on a single pay basis?

If it's the policy I am thinking of, the Quicknet short term HN policy has a different rate for a one time policy as opposed to a month to month renewable policy, yes.

Aetna, Anthem BC and HealthNet are all not currently selling plans to children-only under age 19.

Blue Shield still sells to kids as far as I know (they will likely announce soon as well) BUT Blue Shield does not offer a short-term medical product anymore.

Surprisingly Anthem has indicated that they want to sell U19. They support the bill that would make it mandatory to offer child only plans in CA if you offer any CA product.

Aetna, Anthem BC and HealthNet are all not currently selling plans to children-only under age 19.

Blue Shield still sells to kids as far as I know (they will likely announce soon as well) BUT Blue Shield does not offer a short-term medical product anymore.

Yeah that's a shame it looks like a good plan and very affordable on the single pay basis. Do you understand this to be a permanent suspension? The lady on the phone told me to go ahead and fill out the app incase they start accepting them again then made a comment about a decision supposedly being made today. :err:
Next question is what is compensation on an app like Blue Shields?

Last edited:
Yeah that's a shame it looks like a good plan and very affordable on the single pay basis. Do you understand this to be a permanent suspension? The lady on the phone told me to go ahead and fill out the app incase they start accepting them again then made a comment about a decision supposedly being made today. :err:
Next question is what is compensation on an app like Blue Shields?

I wouldn't hold my breath on that decision.

BS comp depends on your contract. As the other poster mentioned, they don't offer short term so you'd have to get a standard policy and just cancel it when you don't need it any longer, however that means full UW. Not that that would be a problem if they're healthy, it just means time.

Back