Closing After Objections

ramdacc

Obviously we all prefer to sit with clients that say "okay let's do this" immediately after our presentation, but that's not always how a sale goes. I almost never have someone come right out and tell me "no" once I've sat down with them & found out that they qualify. But once I get the "I need to think about it" or "let me talk this over with my spouse (argh I hate that one)" I know my chance to close this deal is going to drop dramatically even if I push hard to overcome it. So my question to the experienced Medd Supp agents here is this: Using your best guess, how often do you close a client after they've used one of the most common objections / put offs that people use? ("Let me think about it" or "I need to talk to my wife/husband"). Also, what has been your most effective approach to overcoming those objections?

The best way to overcome objections is to engineer your process to avoid them in the first place.

"When would be the best time to get together with both you and your spouse so we can think about your options all together?"

If you MUST meet with only one, then only give a 'preview' of what you do or a "getting to know you" session, knowing that you'll have to come back and do the real work with both of them. I wouldn't go through an entire process with just one knowing that you'll need the other too.

kgmom made a great post awhile back about closing t65 couples for med supps when birthdays are spread out some. I thoght I would remember the stuff and I don't-not even enough to get it back with a search.

I think the essence was that the one that is turning 65 is the one that will have the interest in a presentation, the other won't want to be bothered but when she gets the first one she becomes the family insurance agent. It also seems like there was a guy/girl difference in the amont of questions asked.

(sorry kgmom-i'm sure I flunked the test.)

One key to remember in sales is the prospect is not only buying you, your product, but also the process you are taking them through.

The more you personalize the process the more "attached" the prospect will be to you and what solution you are showing them.

I put together a white paper on this recently, which I attached to this post. It is a quick read and reviews home healthcare plans, hospital indemnity, and final expense.

Use it at your own risk :biggrin:

Hopefully, this will improve your process that will reduce your objections and grow your connection with your prospects. Of course, you will still get objections, and you will just have to talk them through it. Remember people want a conversation not a presentation.

Attachments

• Medicare Cafe Your Backstory.pdf
    340.5 KB · Views: 47
Obviously we all prefer to sit with clients that say "okay let's do this" immediately after our presentation, but that's not always how a sale goes. I almost never have someone come right out and tell me "no" once I've sat down with them & found out that they qualify. But once I get the "I need to think about it" or "let me talk this over with my spouse (argh I hate that one)" I know my chance to close this deal is going to drop dramatically even if I push hard to overcome it. So my question to the experienced Medd Supp agents here is this: Using your best guess, how often do you close a client after they've used one of the most common objections / put offs that people use? ("Let me think about it" or "I need to talk to my wife/husband"). Also, what has been your most effective approach to overcoming those objections?

You got comments from one person that actually sells med sups so I will echo what he said, don't do one leggers. That will get you ahead of the curve right there.

You got comments from one person that actually sells med sups so I will echo what he said, don't do one leggers. That will get you ahead of the curve right there.

Agreed! The only time I've seen one-leggers work is when the wife really has no say so in much of anything in the household. Very rare these days, so it's nothing that you can ever count on.

You are going to love this answer...who cares if both spouses are present? Write the damn app.

If the quote has a household discount, the answer is "I totally understand; however, because we are getting a household discount, I need both of you."

If its a Part B virgin (The term "T65" is getting pretty outdated in my market) and the spouse is younger, do Medicare 101 with both, explaining that its important the younger spouse understands Medicare "just in case" and remind the younger spouse that you will follow up with them at 64, 5 months.

If its a UW app, same answer applies.

If you get an objection, the response is "I completely understand. Can I follow up with you on Friday via email?" They always say yes. Unless they are rude and hateful. And who wants rude and hateful clients?

LD...you were close, but I think he is referring to UW apps.

And JD...I just hit 250 Med Supps. Give a girl a break. I actually write them, too ;)

You are going to love this answer...who cares if both spouses are present? Write the damn app.
QUOTE]

If I waited for both spouse to be present every time, How many would have got away. I don't even want to think about it

One Leggers are a much bigger deal when it comes to final expense. If there is an app to be written, it gets written.

Back