Cold Calling Med Supps

flower35

Anyone know any answers to some objections when calling Med Supps to set appts. Objections such as not interested, have Med Supp already and/or busy. Or answers to any other objections. Thanks :biggrin:

To tell you the truth Ive realized that when trying to set an appointment for med supp. and the person on the other end is already mad that you are calling and say's "I'm not interested" or "I already signed up", then my chances to set the appointment are pretty slim.

For T65 I usually try to say, "Ok, great! You already signed up, may I ask which company you signed up with"? If they tell me, I go from there and try to set it again.

This may be different for me because I work mainly with T65's so overcoming the objection seems to be a little harder because they may have already made their decision. I just move on to the next person and keep on keeping on

Using the phone is a learned, well practiced art. An agent just can't pick up the phone and wing it.

The "secret" to handling objections is to design your phone presentation so you don't get any or give them the opportunity voice them. (The timing with which the agents says things is extremely important. Pauses in the call are death to an agent.)

The agent must control the phone call. Allowing the prospect to gain control by saying something like "I'm not interested" takes control away from the agent. Now the agent is on the defensive, not a good place to be.

If the agent loses control it's probably best to thank them for their time and go on to the next call. Keep talking and all you are going to do it piss them off and eliminate the opportunity to call them back at a later date.

Start the call with simple non threatening questions you already know the answer to. After the first ten to fifteen seconds begin moving the phone call to a conversation. Nothing is ever sold during the phone call portion.

When they tell me the name of the company they currently have their insurance with I say "They are a really good company". They don't expect this and in doing so it gets their attention and makes them want to hear what I have to say next.

Using the phone is a learned, well practiced art. An agent just can't pick up the phone and wing it.

The "secret" to handling objections is to design your phone presentation so you don't get any or give them the opportunity voice them. (The timing with which the agents says things is extremely important. Pauses in the call are death to an agent.)

The agent must control the phone call. Allowing the prospect to gain control by saying something like "I'm not interested" takes control away from the agent. Now the agent is on the defensive, not a good place to be.

If the agent loses control it's probably best to thank them for their time and go on to the next call. Keep talking and all you are going to do it piss them off and eliminate the opportunity to call them back at a later date.

Start the call with simple non threatening questions you already know the answer to. After the first ten to fifteen seconds begin moving the phone call to a conversation. Nothing is ever sold during the phone call portion.

When they tell me the name of the company they currently have their insurance with I say "They are a really good company". They don't expect this and in doing so it gets their attention and makes them want to hear what I have to say next.

Not in the least putting down those who purchase leads, but I'm sure you've saved 10s of thousands of dollars over the years through mastering the phone.

Last edited:
Not in the least putting down those who purchase leads. But I'm sure you've saved 10s of thousands of dollars over the years through mastering the phone.

I don't have to work nearly as hard, sell as many policies or work as long to make more money than the agent who is purchasing leads.

Back