Cold calling script with veteran angle?

My VA healthcare is $0 copay $0 deductible. I don't know why anyone would want any other kind of health insurance unless they just didn't know about it. Is there a VA health insurance plan that's worse than a medicare supplement? I know I have to drive like two hours for certain healthcare services but they pay me travel if I have to go there. Is that why they refuse VA healthcare?
That is if you are in a VA facility? What happens if something happens and you don't have time to make a two hour trip?

That is if you are in a VA facility? What happens if something happens and you don't have time to make a two hour trip?
Can go to any ER for an emergency VA covers everything until they can get me stable enough to transfer me to a VA facility. They even refer people to Vandy and specialty hospitals and stuff for things like cancer special heart issues that kind of thing and pay for it.

What happens if something happens and you don't have time to make a two hour trip?

One of my Veteran clients lives about 5 miles from a VA hospital. He has a serious heart condition and (believe I am correct) 80% service related disability.

The only thing he uses the VA for is his annual physical and a heart medication that would normally run $2,000 per refill. His cost is less than $10. Might even be free.

He has a Medigap plan and PDP with me. His thought was, if something serious happened he did not want to wait on the VA to have time to see him. The VA hospital is a few blocks from Emory Hospital. In an emergency he will go there.

Guess that makes him look really stupid when it would cost him $0 at the VA.

One of my Veteran clients lives about 5 miles from a VA hospital. He has a serious heart condition and (believe I am correct) 80% service related disability.

The only thing he uses the VA for is his annual physical and a heart medication that would normally run $2,000 per refill. His cost is less than $10. Might even be free.

He has a Medigap plan and PDP with me. His thought was, if something serious happened he did not want to wait on the VA to have time to see him. The VA hospital is a few blocks from Emory Hospital. In an emergency he will go there.

With all the problems the VA medical system ahs had in recent years, he sounds pretty smart to me..

If it was for the same quality of care I would say that is pretty dumb. Because he is so close to a VA hospital he wouldn't be able to go to another hospital on VA insurance. In a situation like that it makes sense if a client wants to pay for a better quality of healthcare. I'm saying that in the area I'm going to be working there is one hospital and it's not very good. People have to go there in an emergency. Because there's not a VA hospital close, the VA pays for it. So, me personally, I would never be able to sell a med supp to a client that has VA healthcare as an option. Because it's paying more money for the same exact healthcare. In areas where quality comes into play, it makes a lot more sense to have medicare and med supp. I wasn't trying to say it's a blanket idea for the whole country. I was saying me personally, knowing exactly the VA healthcare situation in exactly Southeastern Kentucky, I will never run into a client where it remotely resembles a good idea.

Getting your healthcare through the VA is getting more and more advantageous as they expand programs. For those that don't live close to nearby facilities, they can still go to local doctors and hospitals and have the VA pay for it. Can't get an appointment in a timely manner? That's okay, you can go outside of the VA and have the VA pay for it. It's getting better and better all the time. Heck, event he Doc's are getting paid more nowadays, so they are not scraping the bottom of the barrel for doctors anymore.

My VA healthcare is $0 copay $0 deductible.

Mine is between $5 and $50 depending on the services.

I don't know why anyone would want any other kind of health insurance unless they just didn't know about it

Ditto. But a lot of vets aren't eligible because there are cutoffs depending what years the vet served.

Though you're right about not knowing about it. I qualified for VA health care the same time I qualified for Medicare (age 65) and realized that I could have gotten VA health care earlier.

Is there a VA health insurance plan that's worse than a medicare supplement?

No. Medicare supplements cost a couple of hundred a month and the cost increases every year as one ages. When I qualified for VA health care I figured out that from age 65 to age 84 I would save about $58,000 by not buying a Medicare Supplement.

I've read bad stuff about va healthcare but you know how reading stuff online is.

There was a big scandal about 7 or 8 years ago about vets dying for lack of care. There was a big shakedown and the system has been pretty much fixed. Yeah, I occasionally gripe about some stuff but, on the whole, the VA has taken care of me rather well.

The VA has a community care system for vets that live a long distance from a VA facility.

I would be instantly turned off by the "veteran owned business" angle even though I am a vet (who did nothing of importance) just as I would be if a person called and said they had started a "Christian owned business (even though I am also a Christian.)...

Yeah, enough with the gimmicks. Tell me, in the first sentence, that you can save me money on my insurance and I'll give you a listen. Otherwise, I hang up before you get to the second sentence. LOL.

No, not stupid. You can't fault somebody for choosing to spend his money on something that makes him fees safe and secure, even if it's not necessary.

Every time I call the VA, the first thing I hear is "If this is a life threatening emergency, hang up and dial 911."

So, yes, you get yourself to the nearest ER, get your life save, and deal with the bills later.

Back