Cold Calling Trick

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
Most of the time when agents are cold calling they start off by telling the prospect their name and who they are with, but I want you to rethink this and try to not to start off telling them who you are.

We say things like “Hey, this is Mark Rosenthal with Rosenthal Financial Services.”

Let me tell you what the client hears. "Hey you don’t know me but I’m trying to sell you something".

It is those first couple of seconds they will decide to hang up on you or listen to you.

I’ve notice that if you don’t tell them who you are in the beginning they stay on the phone longer and listen more to you to figure out who you are.

One of the scripts that I use is “Is Mary there? Hey Mary, I’m going to be in your area this week helping some of your neighbors with a free $1,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy and free living will kit and wanted to see if I could stop by and help you also. I’m Mark Rosenthal a local insurance agent and I would love to meet you and help you.

oh.....I know all my neighbors....who are you helping..........

I'm working your area and trying to help people like you.

I'm going to be on blah blah street this week and want to see if you could use any of my services.

I do have programs like zillow.com where I can see everyone info on the street. But I will end up with a couple of appointments in the same area, and after I talk one person into it. I can use their name.

but you said you were helping some of my neighbors....I want to call them and check.....who are they.....

I agree with Mark on this one, don't even mention your business name at first.

I think asking them a question is paramount, but the trick is, what will pull at them?
Offering something for free is in my POV just as good as mentioning the social security death benefit of $255 act..I wouldn't even mention the word FREE its asking for trouble.
Asking a question that appeals to someone's pain or concern is by far the best imo, whether its too high of a premium they are already paying, being uninsured (not uninsurable) and leaving a burden, or having too less of insurance in the first place would be a better qualifier.
But I also agree with Mark, using the herd principle, "people in your area" is also key.
I told each small biz owner that, "I work with small business owners in this area"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Might I offer this:

Hi, Mary. This is Bob Levine. I'll be dropping off FREE LIVING WILL KITS, and wanted to see if I can stop by and hand-deliver one to you."

(if the answer is NO, or Can you mail it to me/email it to me)

Mary, every person that allows me to hand deliver these FREE LIVING WILL KITS gets a $1,000 Death and Dismemberment policy free for one year. Do you have your calendar handy, so we can set a time for me to come by with these?

Back