Cold-Calling & UHC's Unsolicited Contact Definition

DecisionMan

Guru
100+ Post Club
Michigan
Question for those using T-65s for cold-calling or door-knocking for med supps:

Today UnitedHealthCare sent out their weekly email with a clarification of their policy for unsolicited contact (2nd paragraph quoted below).
While CMS does not regulate Medicare Supplement plans, UnitedHealthcare’s contract with AARP® also prohibits agents from the same unsolicited contact as CMS does for Medicare Advantage (MA) and/or Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) products. Furthermore, that is how UnitedHealthcare’s sales policies are written. Unsolicited contact regulations apply to all products in the UnitedHealthcare Medicare Solutions portfolio. Therefore, an agent cannot engage in unsolicited contact when marketing [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]any [/FONT][/FONT]UnitedHealthcare Medicare Solutions product.
They are saying that while unsolicited contact is usually for a PDP or MA, they are including med supps in the non-solicitation prohibition.

In several states such as Michigan, the AARP med supp is by far the most price competitive for a T-65.

Will you stop selling the AARP med supp by phone or door-knocking?

Will you take the AARP out of your product portfolio so you can continue cold-calling T-65s?

So cold call for another company. Or, choose a different state - in MI it is tough to beat AARP/UHC (let's not metion legacy blue...)

If your prospect asks you if you represent AARP/UHC, then you are free to write them. Ask your prospect if they have a preferred company... they may bring it up. I've asked Sales Support this very question numerous times...and each time they've said that this is fine.

YMMV

Yeah what sshafran said. I don't go over in detail what companies I will show him/her on the phone. I let them know that I help in understanding Part A and Part B of medicare.

After doing some fact finding, if a Med Supp is up their alley I whip out the cheapest company. If it's UHC I pull it out. I didn't make the call talking about UHC so I should be ok.

I'm sure UHC is not looking for these violations as CMS is, so I'm not worried about it

UHC contract states as listed above, no cold calling.
So how bout you call and state that you would like to review what they have for insurance and make sure they are in the best plan for their individual needs. No need to mention a company.

Back