Cold Calling Without a Gimmicky Script

DHK- this is what I try to get across when I ask for what approaches work for someone. And they look at me like I have three heads, and then start to abuse me for not wanting to approach former colleagues and ask them to let me see their IRA's so I can help them.

It just doesn't work that way in real life. I have let everyone know what I do and that I'm available and have gotten the kind of response that a big brother gives to a younger sibling -- a lot of slagging, or a quick change of subject. One longtime friend even told me her husband didn't want me to come over until she had made sure that I wasn't going to be hitting them up for a sale.

Veterans are usually at the level where just about everyone they have an appointment with is either a client, friend or family member of a client, referred by a client, someone who has attended at least one and often more of their seminars, etc. There is some connection of something to already establish trust, because they aren't making cold calls anymore. They have forgotten that a complete stranger who has not asked for you to walk into their lives and tell them how you are going to fix them will shut you down very quickly, and worse, tell their neighbors and colleagues about the jackass from company X.

People who know you in a different context absolutely don't want to share the most private of all info with you -- their finances. Friends and family will tell you about their health and their sex lives before telling you about their financial situation. I had a recent meeting with two sisters who were inheriting from a client and the husband of one. The husband got up and left the room when I started to ask his sister-in-law some BASIC questions, like if she had thought whether she would liquidate the holdings so I could send her the check or wait to see what she wanted to do. He thought it was too personal, and this was his sister-in-law in a close family!

So learning how to get a stranger to relax, trust you, and be willing to share info is the whole key. It's something that takes practice. And knowing what to say first instead of wasting time and burning bridges before you find it out helps enormously. That's why I was doing the "research" that someone was insulting me for. I can take what has worked from someone else, not reinvent the wheel, tweak it so it sounds comfortable in my mouth, and get rolling.

One of the best things I've found to do... is to "walk in naked" to your meeting. No, I don't mean being nude, but to carry as little as possible with you to an initial meeting. Leave the big briefcase and computer in the car. Have your notepad and maybe a fact-finder or two...and that's it.

Now, get your prospect to relax by saying something along the lines of: "You can put your checkbook away, because I'm not here to sell you anything during this meeting. This meeting is all about you and your needs. All I want to do is ask you questions so I can tailor a recommendation to meet your needs, goals, and objectives. Does that make sense? Great! Let's get started."

They can relax because it IS all about them... and you don't even have anything with you to create a quote, let alone take an application. All you do is ask questions, show some concepts, and see what makes sense to them.

----------

The BEST source of "research" on insurance sales I've found is with the Insurance Pro Shop.

Sign up for their member's only site for $25/month and watch all the online videos. You'll get a TON of value out of these.

As you can tell, I'm a student of the industry, and of sales in general. I'm not kidding when I tell you that this resource is the BEST resource available to an agent. Sign up and start watching some of those training videos. They are WELL worth your time... and the price is right.

Sounds good to me.
I tell them the first meeting it to get to know each other, so they know it's ok to ask me questions, too. I tell them that's actually what my job is -- to know them, and then guide them to the solution that fits them best and they are comfortable with.

For former colleagues and relatives, etc., send them a heart-felt letter... and then put them on a newsletter mailing list. This way you can stay "top of mind" with them.

Stop Missing the Easy Sales - Insurance Pro Shop

----------

That's also the purpose behind my facebook page. It's a way to let my facebook "friends" know a little more about what I do. Go where the people are... as long as compliance needs are met too.

Use Facebook As Your Company Web Site – It’s F-R-E-E | Insurance Pro Shop's Recipe For Success

If you don't want someone to take your tone the wrong way I'll make some suggestions in the spirit of helping YOU: don't insult or be rude, and stop making assumptions.

I was an award-winning salesperson in a field that involved nothing BUT cold-calling, and have been in sales in various aspects for years. However, I had training, where I went with someone first and watched them, then went with them and did it myself, then was on my own and excelled. Didn't matter what I sold, I could sell.

I have not had any training, and have found that a lot of people have your attitude -- they are smug, nasty, and not really wanting to help, but instead wanting to let everyone know how great they are by putting down newbies and anyone else they can.

That's why I did the "research", because I want to know how to do things effectively. I went to my company's brochure pages and how they recommended you use them. I've talked to other agents who have been around for 20+ years. And i used my own background knowledge of how best to work with people, and not just come in as a one-and-done salesperson, but someone who I intend to be working with for years to come.

If all you want to do is sell a product, you come in leading with that product (like I do when selling Med Supps). If you are building a relationship that will last, you let them tell you what their needs are first, THEN find the appropriate product that fits it. Apparently we are selling two different things, hence the disconnect.

When you say you are here to make money as one of your primary goals, that's the difference between us. Of course I want to make money (who doesn't?) and always have in sales. But my goal isn't to fleece someone and walk away. I knew a salesperson who bragged he would sell broken glass to a toddler if he could make money off it. And yes, THAT'S the type of salesperson I look down on. I admire my colleagues who are excellent salespeople, and got there by doing more listening than talking. There are lots of people on here who have been great at giving advice without grandstanding and are encouraging and happy to guide you if you're off track and you can tell they fall into the latter type. I'm afraid you come across as the former.

----------

LOL!! Maybe he's saying you're out of this world!

----------

I meant that last line from my previous post to go to you, Goillini!
He's saying you're out of this world! :-)

:err:

I said don't take my tone in the wrong way because I realized what I wrote sounded offensive but that's not the way I meant it. Jeez.

In no way was I looking down on you. I even shared some of my personal struggles in this business with you, a complete stranger, to show you that you aren't alone and that I am not "better" than you. I joked about how bad that cold call script opening was but that's not a big deal. Sometimes people need a little ribbing when they won't listen. Even DHK who is always nice got a laugh out of how bad it was.

And talk about being "smug and nasty" saying my goal is to "fleece" people. That was uncalled for and is a lie.

you owe me an apology.

Anyways, I still think you would be happy working as an advisor in a bank. You could sit down with people and get to know them over time. You could say all the things you want to say that just don't work on a cold call because people would see you every week. You could get them to open up about all their problems.

I understand what you and DHK are talking about with the whole comprehensive planning. The problem is that there is no way to communicate all of the information of comprehensive planning in a cold call. You have about 3 seconds to get someones attention on a call and not much more in person. You can either throw up a ton of info or do the creepy wanna be boy friend "I just want to know you."

Brain Tracy talked about businesses would rather "get in bed" with a company and that is probably true. People and businesses like having a go to guy but that comes with time. Do you get a girl in bed by being all needy and wanting to know them? No! You have to make the business or person a client first and then show them what else you do.

Anyways, I still think you would be happy working as an advisor in a bank. You could sit down with people and get to know them over time. You could say all the things you want to say that just don't work on a cold call because people would see you every week. You could get them to open up about all their problems.

LOL! You never worked at a bank as an advisor!

I did. I was a junior broker to a senior advisor. Our monthly quota was to generate $44k+ in GDC commissions per MONTH. Out of that, the partnership would receive 45% payout... and then I got my base salary + 15% of that amount (even though I'd often generate up to 1/2 of that amount because I loved selling variable annuities). This was a few years ago.

($44k x 45% GDC = $19,800 x 15% split = $2,970 + my $2,000 base)

The senior advisors had no base salary after a 3 month period. So you're still a hunter... although it's more like "fish in a barrel".

Oh... and no cold-calling was allowed. It was all generated by client reviews, branch team member referrals, and calling on CD & money market lists.

To be a successful bank advisor, you'd have to have a great working relationship with the bank managers (I worked with a territory of 5 different bank branches) and be able to teach/train/coach all their team members on how to identify referral opportunities. Good promotional contests help to reinforce the behavior we want to see in the rest of the teams.

Anyway, the commission hurdles are higher, and the biggest risk IS the person who wants to come in every week to "review their portfolio".

DHK-- Thanks for replying to him.
I know several people in banks. I did the "research" he makes fun of before taking this job. One of the guys in my office also used to be at a bank.
Another issue that people from the outside overlook is that while you can see existing clients' balances and see who would be the best to talk to, and yes you have built-in credibility sitting behind a desk at the bank, there are a finite number of people you can work with.
Everyone who works at the bank for any length of time will tell you that eventually you have spoken to everyone who has an account there of any investable size several times, and you are stuck. You can't grow your business.

And, as you pointed out, you can't fire the clients you don't want. You are also limited to what the bank wants you to invest them in.

As an independent contractor to a company, I have high costs, especially at the beginning, but I make anywhere from 50-80% of any commission, plus bonuses and trails. I can work with anyone in any state I register in, including that elusive warm market who lives out of state. I still get the brochures and backup from a company, but not the limitations.

I don't have a problem cold calling. The problem is wanting to do it effectively and not take two months of trial and error to find the right words. If what I started with was bad, then thanks for telling me and helping me get it right. I'm not going to throw up my hands and say, "Well, if that initial script isn't right, I'm quitting and going to work somewhere else!"

Obviously if I expected that script to be perfect, I wouldn't have asked experienced people here to help me with it. I DID expect something like what DHK did, although you went above and beyond, my friend, telling me what was wrong, why, and what would work better.

Thanks for all your help.

"The next step is to determine if you are focusing on selling your products... or are you focused more on helping others solve their problems. Problem solvers are in higher demand (and do bigger cases) than product salespeople."

Hi, DHK. Mt name's Dimitri and I'm a new guy here. Can please elaborate a little on this "helping others solve their problem" statement?
Thank you

Hi, DHK. Mt name's Dimitri and I'm a new guy here. Can please elaborate a little on this "helping others solve their problem" statement?
Thank you

Welcome!

All insurance policies are a solution to a problem. But people don't buy a solution, until they admit to having a problem that they would like solved.

What problems do people want solved? We can take cues and clues from various industry marketing research surveys:

Advisor marketing trends for 2015 [infographic] | LifeHealthPro

This survey that just came out (that's the link but the entire survey isn't there) indicated the following as client's biggest fears:

- Outliving their money (69%)
- Health care (55%)
- Having to work longer than planned (53%)
- Economy (48%)
- Government (47%)

If we review LIMRA's Life Insurance Awareness Month (my favorite was 2013), you'll see the following:

- "Everyday expenses" such as energy costs, food, clothing and transportation were cited by more than half of consumers surveyed as limits on ability to save for financial goals.

- When surveyed on financial issues, "money for a comfortable retirement" was the top pick of 67 percent of consumers. By contrast, concerns that life insurance coverage traditionally addresses (such as premature death, funeral expenses and leaving an inheritance) registered as a top priority for less than 40 percent of consumers surveyed.

- Consumers who believe they need life insurance, 86 percent haven't bought it because they think it's too expensive.

- Middle-income consumers are more concerned with reducing debt and having more money for retirement than other income groups.

What does this tell me?
- My odds of setting an appointment are greater if I focus on THEIR needs (retirement, cash flow, debt elimination) than focusing on what I want to sell (a life insurance policy).

- If I can show them how to have it all, and show them how they can afford a life insurance policy... my odds of a sale go up dramatically.

Basically, help your client get what they want... and you can have EVERYTHING you want. Just learn how to speak and solve to their needs and they'll listen to you more closely.

If you need training in this area, I recommend the Insurance Pro Shop.

Back