Cold Doors 2020 - Discussion Thread

That reality really bites! Sorry that's your situation Dave. Are you still running leads, Face Book or DM's?

I haven't bought a lead since about this time last year.

I did a mail drop (1300 pieces) last January using a SS Benefits/Retirement Income card, and I was in the process of knocking that list when the shut down came.

Since then I've basically gone the "project 200 route" and reached out to folks I've known over the years professionally. Had a number of them reach out to me on their own as well.
Very few face to face appoints - mostly used the phone rather than zoom.

January 4th my plan is to hit the doors again: I still have the list I used for my last DM campaign, and I have my eye on a few neighborhoods where I plan to knock every door. I am undecided as to which data vendor I will use for the cold canvass neighborhoods. I like to have the name as I go up to the door. I am looking at Cole Directory, canvass.com, and SalesRabbit.

I believe many agents do not work their books of business. How is it working for you?

It has worked out well. I have just gone over my book and found some that slipped, others that needed additional family coverage. Still need to do some tlc at the beginning of the year. Deaths have yielded additional business as well and continue to do so into the new year.

I haven't bought a lead since about this time last year.

I did a mail drop (1300 pieces) last January using a SS Benefits/Retirement Income card, and I was in the process of knocking that list when the shut down came.

Since then I've basically gone the "project 200 route" and reached out to folks I've known over the years professionally. Had a number of them reach out to me on their own as well.
Very few face to face appoints - mostly used the phone rather than zoom.

January 4th my plan is to hit the doors again: I still have the list I used for my last DM campaign, and I have my eye on a few neighborhoods where I plan to knock every door. I am undecided as to which data vendor I will use for the cold canvass neighborhoods. I like to have the name as I go up to the door. I am looking at Cole Directory, canvass.com, and SalesRabbit.

You mentioned that "you have your eye on a few neighborhoods where you plan to knock every door". If you don't mind sharing what do you say when you cold knock "non-lead" doors?

" I am here to sell you some insurance. How much you want?".. :twitchy:
I know you’re joking, but there was this guy at MetLife who used to dial through the phone book asking, “Do you need any life, health, or disability insurance?” This was before my time, so I didn’t hear any of this directly, but he apparently sold a pile of insurance that way!

You mentioned that "you have your eye on a few neighborhoods where you plan to knock every door". If you don't mind sharing what do you say when you cold knock "non-lead" doors?
I’ve cold canvassed lower income neighborhoods for many years. My door presentation tends to evolve as I go, but it’s generally something like: “Hi, I’m shonceman, and I’m the neighborhood agent for Such and Such Insurance. I’ve got several clients in the neighborhood, and thought I’d pop by and see if I can be of service to you. Who do you have YOUR life insurance with?” Doesn’t matter what their response is. I’ve just started a conversation. I’ll figure out inside of a minute whether they’re a prospect worth pursuing.

I should say that if I’m canvassing a neighborhood where I don’t have any clients, the second sentence changes to: “I’m out talking to people about their life insurance today”. I never lie, and try not to exaggerate!

The last sentence is the important one, so you can’t allow any pauses until you’ve asked that. The point is to get the conversation started, so I give them a question that can’t be answered “yes” or “no”.

This works well in inner city neighborhoods, where life insurance is considered very important. In those neighborhoods, it’s just a matter of finding people who are interested and have some awareness of need already. @DayTimer has moved into other demographics, so I’ll invite him to share his door presentation, which would necessarily be quite different. He’s shared it before, so you could actually search it out. But I hope he’ll respond with what he’s doing currently.

Last edited:
I know you’re joking, but there was this guy at MetLife who used to dial through the phone book asking, “Do you need any life, health, or disability insurance?” This was before my time, so I didn’t hear any of this directly, but he apparently sold a pile of insurance that way!
Actually, I heard Medhi say that when he started with Met Life on the debit, he started out knocking on on doors in high rise tenements asking, "You don't want to buy any life insurance today, do you?" As you know, he went on to be an insurance legend, Met Life's all time leading agent. He was still working at age 95. Got up at 4 am everyday, went to the office and returned home in the evening when his wife called him and reminded him that it was time to come home to dinner. Think he was the one about whom they said his income was 6 times the company's CEO.

Actually, I heard Medhi say that when he started with Met Life on the debit, he started out knocking on on doors in high rise tenements asking, "You don't want to buy any life insurance today, do you?" As you know, he went on to be an insurance legend, Met Life's all time leading agent. He was still working at age 95. Got up at 4 am everyday, went to the office and returned home in the evening when his wife called him and reminded him that it was time to come home to dinner. Think he was the one about whom they said his income was 6 times the company's CEO.
He was definitely legendary! I recently got hold of his book, “Nothing Is Impossible”. I put it on the shelf above my desk, and then forgot about it. I noticed it again just the other day, and made my only New Year’s resolution so far to READ THAT BOOK!:yes:

Another story Medhi told. He kept calling to make contact with a business owner and had a hard time getting past the gatekeeper. He would call, introduce himself and ask to speech to the owner. The secretary would ask, "Where are you from" and he would respond "Metropolitan Life".. She would then tell him that the guy was not available and to leave a message. Finally, Medhi, who was born in Iran, called and when asked , "Where are you from?' responded, "Tehran" ...She put him straight through.
Only got to meet him and hear him speak one time in the 1970s but he was an amazing man. Kind of short, balding and a very heavy Arabic accent...Not at all what you would expect of one of the countries top life producers.

He made this video at age 87.

At 85 he still had big goals.

Back