Colt 45 close?

I mean she dropped dead right there.

Did you attempt to resuscitate, call 911 or just leave it up to the cadaver dogs?

Still trying to figure which Colt 45 to use if I ever need to close someone.

This

8-colt-45.jpg

or this

s-l1000.jpg

Did you attempt to resuscitate, call 911 or just leave it up to the cadaver dogs?

Still trying to figure which Colt 45 to use if I ever need to close someone.

This

8-colt-45.jpg

or this

s-l1000.jpg
One of my debit managers told me about a guy who used something akin to your second choice.

Every debit agent knows where the hangout spots are located in his neighborhoods. Usually in a vacant lot under big shade trees, you'll find people stopping off after work to catch up with old friends and throw down a couple cans of brew. I've written a few cases in lots just like this. That usually happens because a prospect or client you need to collect says, "You know where everybody hangs out across from the store on ______ street? I'll be over there at 4:30." If you're not too dignified to meet them over there, you'll usually end up with 3 or 4 other prospects just because you're there!

But this particular guy sometimes would have a rough week, as we all do. Nobody ever wanted to go into the Friday morning meeting with a blank. So if this guy found himself short on sales on Thursday afternoon, he would stop by one of those spots with a couple of cold 6 packs, which naturally got their attention. Then after they'd all had a couple, he'd start pulling out apps and writing them up. He never had a blank week! (But he did have some big persistency problems!)

sounds like Albion Mi, down by the river bend! Colt 45 was big but so was Schlitz Malt Liquor. Tall Boys

Every debit agent knows where the hangout spots are located in his neighborhoods. Usually in a vacant lot under big shade trees, you'll find people stopping off after work to catch up with old friends and throw down a couple cans of brew. I've written a few cases in lots just like this. That usually happens because a prospect or client you need to collect says, "You know where everybody hangs out across from the store on ______ street? I'll be over there at 4:30." If you're not too dignified to meet them over there, you'll usually end up with 3 or 4 other prospects just because you're there!

th

And the problem is... ? lol.

The thread asked about the Colt 45 close

I first saw the Colt 45 close in 1979 by John Yost the Regional manager at Combined insurance. I was new he was old, and he liked to meet up with me late in the afternoon so we could run a few leads and then go to the bar and get wasted.

The close goes like this.

It was pitch dark out and we were headed to an old beat up single wide out side of Mt Pleasant to renew a $47.50 policy. That was the 6 month premium. In those days we drove to the house every 6 months and renewed what they had and always tried to sell them more. This was our last stop of the night and John told me as we pulled in, this piece of shit is a reluctant renewal. You always have to resell him and he is full of excuses. He said it was like pulling teeth!

Sure enough this guy made it clear he was not buying more, and in fact he was going to cancel everything because he had no money. John hit with every close I had every heard of and the guy would not flinch.

Finally John got excited , he looked him square in the eyes about 6 inches apart, with his pen stuck in the guys face and in a very gruff, stern, pissed off voice stated.

"If this pen were a colt 45 and I stuck it in your face and said get me $47.50 or I'll blow your fucking head off, what would you do?"

To which he stated, I'd go get the money!"

John stated "Well go get the money then."

They guy got up walked to the far back room and came back with $47.50

We got in the car and drove away and I said Jesus Christ John, what the *** was that?

He said

"That's my Colt 45 close!"

true story

I started in the biz with Combined back in 1992.My first week in the field I had a super aggressive sales manager training me.Never forget the tacky Combined sales achievement gold rings he was so proud of wearing.I was shocked how he got up in peoples faces and didn't give them a chance to say no but I was even more shocked that he sold 5 policies the first day talking to people this way.Found out later though that 3 of them canceled like the next day.I think you can be a good closer with out being a dickweed and that agents who sell products like the ones combined offers should be thankful that ANYBODY would buy or renew their overpriced shitty little accident ,sickness and life policies.

Jasper, you can read and pick the way that works for you. I would much rather speak to them from a position of wanting to help them instead of a position of I want to CONTROL you and make you get up 20 different times doing things I command you to do.
The principle I was referencing is the same principal Attornies and Doctors use. When you go into the doctor do they give you a 20 second spiel about why they need to stick a wooden stick in your mouth and say "AHHH"? Of course not. & them doing so doesn't make you like them any less. You appreciate that they are a professional that is confident enough to not have to convince you to do anything.

When you're at the doctors and he tells you to pull down your pants & turn your head & cough, you do so without question, don't you? Does your doctor have to CONTROL that situation?

Telling must work because we hear about stuff like. Wiping your feet and pushing your way in, sit over there, get me water, do this do that.

You guys work with dumber people that I do.

My clients thank me for helping them before I leave. Sounds like some people make be thanking some of you for leaving.

It's not like I walk in and say "go get me some water, lady". That would be irrational. I don't think any successful agent would even dream of talking to someone like that even if they could get away with it.

I would never even start the presentation until I get a laugh out of them. When someone likes & trusts you, they perceive what you say a lot better than someone who doesn't.

Then, when I tell them to get something for me, I word it in a way that builds urgency & allows me to keep the authority in the appointment (but is not rude or demanding). I won't show you my exact wording on here because 2 weeks later I'd see a YouTube video put up with someone ripping me off & not giving credit. ;) (You know who you are.)

The principle I was referencing is the same principal Attornies and Doctors use. When you go into the doctor do they give you a 20 second spiel about why they need to stick a wooden stick in your mouth and say "AHHH"? Of course not. & them doing so doesn't make you like them any less. You appreciate that they are a professional that is confident enough to not have to convince you to do anything.

When you're at the doctors and he tells you to pull down your pants & turn your head & cough, you do so without question, don't you? Does your doctor have to CONTROL that situation?
You'd better HOPE it's nothing more than a wooden stick tha he sticks in your miouth when you say AHHHH. :twitchy:

It's not like I walk in and say "go get me some water, lady". That would be irrational. I don't think any successful agent would even dream of talking to someone like that even if they could get away with it.

I would never even start the presentation until I get a laugh out of them. When someone likes & trusts you, they perceive what you say a lot better than someone who doesn't.

Then, when I tell them to get something for me, I word it in a way that builds urgency & allows me to keep the authority in the appointment (but is not rude or demanding). I won't show you my exact wording on here because 2 weeks later I'd see a YouTube video put up with someone ripping me off & not giving credit. ;) (You know who you are.)

"" I won't show you my exact wording on here...... ""

Oh Dang it! What am I going to do now

Many was to do what we do. Very few new ways.

Back