Coming Next: Grandfather Marries Grandson

That is a different discussion.

My personal belief is you are 100% in or you are not. My Grandfather died 100% American. 0% Mexican. I am aware there are people with a foot still in their homeland.

Well there is personal opinion and then there is the law.

I freely and openly took the oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

It is not my fault if Canada ignored what I did.

My daughter-in-law took the same oath, and lost her previous citizenship.

On another note, my mother's brother (full brother; born in Canada) moved to the U.S. and was given a passport by the U.S. without naturalization or taking the oath. That was completely legal.

Sometimes the law doesn't make sense, and personal opinions will differ.

I also note that there are many Americans, who move to Israel, obtain Israeli citizenship and do not lose their U.S. citizenship.

I could go on and on.

Well there is personal opinion and then there is the law.

I freely and openly took the oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

It is not my fault if Canada ignored what I did.

My daughter-in-law took the same oath, and lost her previous citizenship.

On another note, my mother's brother (full brother; born in Canada) moved to the U.S. and was given a passport by the U.S. without naturalization or taking the oath. That was completely legal.

Sometimes the law doesn't make sense, and personal opinions will differ.

Then in my eyes, She is an American. You are not.

"""I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;....""

You do or you do not.

""It is not my fault if Canada ignored what I did."" Are you saying Canada will not allow you to renounce your Canadian citizenship?

Again, just my opinion.

Lastly, all immigrants should be required to do some form of service to this country. Hell, we all should.

Get elected to office, change the law, and we'll get on with it. If the law requires me to formally end any previous citizenship, I'll be happy to comply. Otherwise, I am within the law.

On the flip side, a significant number in this country can't bear the idea of stopping illegal immigrants from flooding into the country, and we now have a sanctuary state that accounts for 10% of the entire U.S. population. You would do well to set some priorities and complain about more important issues of this nature.

Guys we are getting off topic of grand sons and their grand fathers banging.

Who the heck said anyone was banging anyone else? This is a discussion about tax planning strategies involving marriage. What should people, simply because they are related, not be entitled to the tax benefits offered to others. That's blatant and heartless discrimination.

Back