Common Mistakes by Rookie Agents

So I will just use the forum for entertainment purposes, and I am worried about getting leads not giving them.

When was the last time someone came on her to brag about a lead vendor and it wasn't the vendor or a shill?

No one is going to share their fantastic lead source with you. Definitely not on an open forum.

When was the last time someone came on her to brag about a lead vendor and it wasn't the vendor or a shill?

No one is going to share their fantastic lead source with you. Definitely not on an open forum.

Not totally accurate.. Everybody shares the names of EFES and Securus.. Especially their "silent recruiters".. :)

I dont expect that, I was responding to the quote

Sorry if I'm being rendundent becuase this thread is so long, but I think one of the most common mistakes rookies and even some experienced agents make is not "Listening" to their prospect! You can never go into an appointment always knowing exactly what you are going to say. If you ask a question to your prospect and while they are talking you are trying to remember what the next "canded pitch" it is that you are supposed to say, you will never hear what they say.

Be an "expert" on the products you sell. If you know your products backward and forward and you listen well to your prospect... then you can respond according to what they actually told you and not to what you want to sell them or what you are supposed to sell them.

You need to have a good product offering to be able to give them good value in the choices you present to them.

Never work for a "Captive" agency with "shelf" products. If you always have to defend 1 company as ALWAYS being the best, it is a very TOUGH sale and you will not have longevity in your book of business.

I came from the old school of selling MEGA and I still have to take extra showers everyday to get the stank off of me for ever selling that crap. But I didn't know any better 20 years ago.

In closing, the most important thing that you CAN do, is to always be ethical and maintain a high level of integrity no matter what it is that you do. One of my greatest mentors was W. Clemont Stone and his saying that has stayed with me for 20 years now is:
“Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.”

Rugerred,
I've been in your shoes... I worked for the world's largest commercial printer and was in it for years and wanted to make a change. Worked many hours there and nights and Saturdays for a solid year selling insurance and flipped the switch to full-time insurance...you can do it.

Solid stuff from Josh and Rob... some of the things I've seen (in no particular order):
-You have to spend money (on leads) to make money.
-Diversify your lead gen methods though you may have a primary.
-Learn underwriting guidelines and study pricing as most products are the same...just different names.
-If you have a bad week(s) you have to continue to feed that lead pipeline and if you have a great week... the same.
-Just be yourself and concentrate on likability.
-Ask for referrals casually.
-WORK at it daily... TIME + ENERGY = SUCCESS.

Too many agents leave money on the table where by asking the right questions for one product can lead to cross-selling of another a little later. Took me years to develop my "client profile" for cross-selling....every annuity I ever wrote (never bought one annuity lead) was from a question asked from another policy. I remember my first appointment like it was yesterday and was just trying to get through it.

Since you're trying to do two jobs (I'm presuming) rather than making a hard switch...PM me if you want to talk about specific things I did being in your shoes. I'd be happy to share.

Rugerred,
I've been in your shoes... I worked for the world's largest commercial printer and was in it for years and wanted to make a change. Worked many hours there and nights and Saturdays for a solid year selling insurance and flipped the switch to full-time insurance...you can do it.

Solid stuff from Josh and Rob... some of the things I've seen (in no particular order):
-You have to spend money (on leads) to make money.
-Diversify your lead gen methods though you may have a primary.
-Learn underwriting guidelines and study pricing as most products are the same...just different names.
-If you have a bad week(s) you have to continue to feed that lead pipeline and if you have a great week... the same.
-Just be yourself and concentrate on likability.
-Ask for referrals casually.
-WORK at it daily... TIME + ENERGY = SUCCESS.

Too many agents leave money on the table where by asking the right questions for one product can lead to cross-selling of another a little later. Took me years to develop my "client profile" for cross-selling....every annuity I ever wrote (never bought one annuity lead) was from a question asked from another policy. I remember my first appointment like it was yesterday and was just trying to get through it.

Since you're trying to do two jobs (I'm presuming) rather than making a hard switch...PM me if you want to talk about specific things I did being in your shoes. I'd be happy to share.

Nice to hear. I take it You worked for Donnely Yes I am working on the 4 on 3 off rotation but never get many off. Once I pass the test I will turn down most of the ot this way bills are paid AMD I can spend some money on business I would love to talk to you,I dont think I can PM yet though

Yo Slushpuppyking,

I know you just started sellinf FE, from your other posts, and I want an update... How are you doing? Who did you decide to work with? I know you were looking at LH...

Back