Common Scams and Warning Signs when Dealing with Web Designers

Re: Common Scams and Warning Signs when Dealing with Web Designer

There's some good stuff here! A few things to keep in mind:

1. Web Designers are selling their time.
If they offer you a flat rate to build a site, they still have an amount of time in mind. And of course, if they can do it faster, they will. This means for fixed projects, they're going to do things like re-use code (templates) and generally cut corners (not optimize graphic size, not build to w3c compliance, etc.) to allow themselves to make more $$$ per hour.

And for projects where they are charging hourly, they're motivated to reinvent the wheel because it takes longer. This means writing custom code when something off-the shelf will do, pushing the important of a highly customized design "because your business is unique?!!!" when a template will do, and generally will look to find ways to increase the scope of your project.

2. They're going to charge you for changes.
Because you're paying for their time, expect to be hit with lots of surprise charges when you want to add a logo, add a page, change your address, or do any of those little things you're going to need done on an ongoing basis. You should be updating your site constantly, so expect this to add up. These charges are never included in the estimate or fixed rate package - they're pretty much always hidden.

3. Not all hours are created equal.
Think about that old joke where the guy hires the plumber to fix his boiler. The plumber looks at it for a minute, takes out a wrench, and tightens one bolt. He then gives the guy a $101 bill. When the guy complains, the plumber says it's $1 for tightening the bolt and $100 for knowing which bolt to tighten.

I know some developers who get 3x more done per hour at $100/hour than another at $50/hour. Plus, (to refer to that joke) the $50/hr guy is going to show up and ask which bolt you want him to tighten, while the $100/hr guy is going to show up and be able to figure it out for himself. In my experience, web developers who understand building websites for a specific goal (generating leads from your site, for example) are much more valuable than those that just understand HTML.

4. A generic wordpress install DOES NOT equal a great insurance website
It's going to take time to make it look like an insurance website. Even if you buy/find a template, expect to put in some significant time writing content, getting things organized, and generally rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty. Do not underestimate how hard it is to write good content!

Obviously, I'm in the business of building websites for insurance agents so my opinions are biased. After years of working as a website consultant for some of the biggest insurance carriers in the country (I won't even get into my hourly rate for them!), I co-founded AgentMethods to help agents get online with a great site and avoid the issues of custom-development. We don't charge anything up front, have no contracts, no cancellation fees, and give you 30 days to try it for free. And best of all, we'll have your site up today. So even if you're building your site yourself, you owe it to yourself to give our insurance website platform a try. At the very worst, you'll have a temporary site up for free for 30 days while you finish your custom-crafted masterpiece.

Aaron

I don't disagree with the analogy of the 100$ vs 50$ plumber but there are 50$ plumbers out there that are better than the 100$ plumber you can get by shopping from the wrong source.

Good example would be hiring a graphic designer for a website template. You can spend 1000$ on a template that isn't even unique by going to the wrong website to do it, or you can hire out someone to make unique landing templates for 100$ a page.

You do still need the guy that knows how to tie the template to wordpress, tie the landing form to your email, tie the server together, and make all the pieces work.

The rate isn't what determines the quality of the work though, just like every other service in the world. I'm sure there are just as many shitty 500 dollar an hour mechanics out there as there are good 50$ an hour ones.

Don't trust "reputations" or what so and so said. Ask for work samples with website names, if they wont give it to you, walk.

Problem is...I don't want to spend my time at X$/hr researching web designers. So...I tend to trust others who've given glowing testimonials.

Problem is...I don't want to spend my time at X$/hr researching web designers. So...I tend to trust others who've given glowing testimonials.

I think a good rule of thumb there would be to trust the people who you can actually verify aren't lying to you.

I trusted a reputation but never talked to someone who had actually had work done that wasn't directly referred to me by the vendor and I didn't do my homework.

It might take you 2 or 3 hours, but unless you make 150 dollars an hour it's worth your time.

I asked my designer to add a logo for me. This would take like what, 2 minutes? (just guessing because I really don't know).

It's not done yet. Of course, in all fairness, I only asked a little over a month ago!!

It would actually take a lot longer than 2 minutes even if the logo was already designed. You have to figure out where you want it to go. You need to know what size it should be. You will probably need to resize the logo in PhotoShop or some similar program. Then you will need to place the logo on the site probably using CSS or a table. You may need to modify a template since you probably want your logo on every page.

If I were going to do it for someone else, I'd charge them for at least an hour's work. (I'm not soliciting for work. I only work on my own sites.)

That being said, 30 days is a a ridiculous amount of time to wait for a relatively simple request.

You can have a logo created on elance.com for about $40. I had this logo created for my agency's site a couple of years ago.

I was referring to a carrier logo to place on my site adding it to the other ones already there.

It would actually take a lot longer than 2 minutes even if the logo was already designed. You have to figure out where you want it to go. You need to know what size it should be. You will probably need to resize the logo in PhotoShop or some similar program. Then you will need to place the logo on the site probably using CSS or a table. You may need to modify a template since you probably want your logo on every page.

If I were going to do it for someone else, I'd charge them for at least an hour's work. (I'm not soliciting for work. I only work on my own sites.)

That being said, 30 days is a a ridiculous amount of time to wait for a relatively simple request.

You can have a logo created on elance.com for about $40. I had this logo created for my agency's site a couple of years ago.

This particular thing, he just needed 2 carrier logos added.

It took almost 5 minutes, including fixing the alt text on all the other graphics on the rest of the page.

Great stuff here from people who know what they are talking about.

Just my opinion based on observation of how my and other websites were built...I don't like the idea of falling into a trap of having to pay a monthly maintenance fee. Sure, you're going to need help at times, but it's OK to pay your site builder as you need those things.

I know less about building a website from scratch than anybody here, but I still learned quickly how to write and publish my own content and find a decent hosting company.

My site builder provided me exactly what I wanted with every site we built. My only complaint is that I don't think he charged me enough money for his services.

My only complaint is that I don't think he charged me enough money for his services.

He agrees.

A revised bill is in the mail.

Ive seen hosting charges from an isp using shared hosting charging like 2 dollars to 4 dollars a month, and looked at rate sheets from web design companies charging 120-200 dollars a month for LESS bandwidth, storage, and account use.

Prices are all over the place, and there is no rational reason for the differences in a lot of cases.

Back