Contracting SEO Work

I think a lot of the traditional "SEO guys" have moved into broader digital marketing efforts and are moving away from pure, organic SEO. Organic SEO has gotten much more difficult due to algorithm updates - so it takes much more time (and money) to see results. Because of this, it's not nearly as profitable as it used to be for these guys.

Many are finding that they can deliver results much quicker by leveraging newer capabilities like Facebook advertising and retargeting.

These days, most of the real benefit an SEO guy can provide is in making sure your Google local profile is completely filled out and includes a fair number of reviews. Inbound links and on-site optimization are still important - but it's not nearly as easy secure quality inbound links as it used to be.

I used to talk to Dave every few months (mostly about Illinois sports).

Anyhow, for June and July only, I'm offering a reduced rate for my SEO services.

For $249 (regularly $250), I'll review your website, and choose four key phrases that NOBODY else is searching for. You'll appear on Page 1 within 30 days, and will only have to pay a $50 monthly recurring fee.

Money back guarantee if you are unsatisfied after 60 months. Refund amount is negotiable.

Bonefish SEO Services
Naperville, Il.
Service since 1977

I think a lot of the traditional "SEO guys" have moved into broader digital marketing efforts and are moving away from pure, organic SEO. Organic SEO has gotten much more difficult due to algorithm updates - so it takes much more time (and money) to see results. Because of this, it's not nearly as profitable as it used to be for these guys.

Excellent point. Here's another way at looking at this...

If a person is smart enough to keep up with all the SEO tactics to rank websites in moderate to highly competitive niches, then it's highly likely they are also smart enough to realize "Why am I making other people rich?"

In fact you can now intelligently approach this as..."This guy is telling me he can rank my site. If he's that good, how come his sites aren't ranked or he's not doing this for himself?"

So the best SEO's are wisely using their talents and skills to market their own products that they sell, so they get the big payoff on the back end.

I've met with likely well over 100 people/firms that do SEO. I wouldn't hire ANY of them after speaking with them even if you gave me an unlimited budget. And many of these are very big names, very visible companies...they all go to the conferences each year...blah blah. I do my own SEO and always will, outsourcing the mundane tasks only. I suggest if you really want your site to be ranked that you do the same. You simply cannot trust anyone to get, and keep you ranked unless your budget was astronomical. Just be careful as it's a long, dark rabbit hole that never ends.

Remember, if you hire an SEO they always have the ultimate excuse..."Well Google takes time....you have to schmooze them and not go too fast..." But that money from your bank account to them sure goes fast each month. When your budget runs out you realize you were just funding their on-the-job-training, which of course never ends with SEO.

I own an insurance agency and just started doing SEO for myself about a month ago. We already rank # 1 on "convenience store insurance memphis tn, convenience store insurance memphis. I'm # 3 on "grocery store insurance Memphis" and grocery store insurance Memphis TN". I'm on the 2nd page for "restaurant insurance Memphis" right now, but I won't down there for long:). Keep in mind I'm a 1 man shop in a large city which means I have a lot of BIG competition that spends a lot of money on SEO and still do as well as I do.

Insurance Forums won't let be put my url in here cause I haven't posted much but if you google the above, you'll find me (look for rbimemphis).

I would imagine if I can do it for my agency, I can probably do it for yours too. PM me if you're interested please.

Last edited:
I have always done my own, and not very effectively. You tech savy guys care to share any good links for information or reference on some of the basics? Much appreciate the help.!

Honestly, go read up on Moz for basic/intermediate SEO work. The key to SEO I've found in all of my years doing it is that content is king, as long as its relevant. Obviously, you need to make sure onsites like titles, metas, and alts are kept up to date and strategically used but create high quality content and the rankings and links will come, as long as your content strategy helps to spread the word. I know that's not a specific recommendation, but it is still a good one.

The key to SEO I've found in all of my years doing it is that content is king, as long as its relevant.

This ^^^^^^^^

I stopped paying an SEO guy in 2012. I was fearful my business would. Well, guess what?
It did not. Still get organic leads daily and I do zero optimization. Stuff I wrote 5 years ago still makes the phone ring daily. I rarely have time to write anything but when i do write something I try to make it worthwhile for consumers.

Back