Countdown to cms final ruling

I saw one person complaining that they were going to basically get rid of overrides and pay $35 more per app. [Update: it was $31, not $35]

I was like - YES!!!!!!!!!!

That's where the money belongs - those who WRITE BUSINESS.

(This person obviously has a business based on overrides. Sorry ... Go write some business and you'll be just fine)
At $31 it would be, hypothetically, very very close to an agent who is 2 levels above street.

The override structure of the MA model compared to the Medigap model, certainly paves the way to creating conflicts of interest.

It was really just a matter of time until the commission structure came under review.

If Original Medicare was actually a private business rather than government run, it would likely have been modified to be more user friendly and attractive, to stay competitive with its counterpart, MAPD.

That's why competition is good for the marketplace, all players must improve. But instead, original medicare just raises the premiums and deductibles, and in contrast, MAPD finds what people want, and gives it to them.

The carriers have relied on the FMO's in large part for the contracting and training of agents, with MAPD. If the overrides are gutted, who will provide that service? Will the FMO's become a subscription service, like a CRM? I know I myself still appreciate their expertise, when I seldom need it.

I dont think the call centers will disappear entirely, some will, some won't.

In a similar fashion, If the government just decided to scrap the whole MA program all together, citing the costs are too high (or something), I doubt all the agents would get out of the business, some would, some wouldn't.

Lower overrides will also likely create less incentive to recruit and train new agents.

In a recent conversation with a regional broker manager for a carrier, he said there are quite a few agents who get appointed just to sell one or two mapd apps. I would imagine that might also change.

It's a lot easier to find out what people want and give it to them when you are getting over $1100 per month/per enrollee from the feds.

I read somewhere were everything’s released by April 1st . But we’ll see .Remember last yr the 1st draft of proposed new changes wasn’t released till like dec 15 th . This year it was released very early at Nov 7th . Somebody who said he hopes marketing money goes away but the fmo overrides stay is not going to happen . If that happened every agent would be shopping Fmo’s for a big chunk of there overrides for marketing money . I’d be dammed if I didn’t get 1/2 there override to cover my marketing cost .
That’s the rate announcement. Separate from the final rule.

DonP for the win.......

NABIP is expecting the release of two highly-anticipated final rules during the first week of April: one regulation on short-term limited duration insurance (STLDI) and fixed indemnity plans, and one regulation on Medicare Advantage that will impact agent and FMO compensation. NABIP staff and leadership had the opportunity to meet with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) ahead of the release of these rules, further cementing our advocacy efforts in these areas.
---------
Ultimately, our primary message to lawmakers is: Without FMOs to provide quoting tools and a multiple array of back-office support to licensed and certified agents assisting in enrollments, Medicare beneficiaries will have few choices in finding accurate enrollment assistance and will be led directly to the bad actors that the federal government seeks to protect them from.

NABIP anticipates that the STLDI could be released next week, and MA final rules will be released in early April

DonP for the win.......

NABIP is expecting the release of two highly-anticipated final rules during the first week of April: one regulation on short-term limited duration insurance (STLDI) and fixed indemnity plans, and one regulation on Medicare Advantage that will impact agent and FMO compensation. NABIP staff and leadership had the opportunity to meet with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) ahead of the release of these rules, further cementing our advocacy efforts in these areas.
---------
Ultimately, our primary message to lawmakers is: Without FMOs to provide quoting tools and a multiple array of back-office support to licensed and certified agents assisting in enrollments, Medicare beneficiaries will have few choices in finding accurate enrollment assistance and will be led directly to the bad actors that the federal government seeks to protect them from.

NABIP anticipates that the STLDI could be released next week, and MA final rules will be released in early April
I love these Nabip clowns . There outrageous members ( fmo’s) insane overrides on the line and they go crazy trying to change the ruling . The past 2 yrs agents got thrown under the bus and they did Jack shit to help us . Greedy bastards . I was looking at my Aetna book . I have a mga , imo , fmo and nmo ( integrity) all overriding me . Carriers are paying overrides with taxpayer money

It's a lot easier to find out what people want and give it to them when you are getting over $1100 per month/per enrollee from the feds.
I dont disagree with you. I mean, Original Medicare is outsourcing the coverage to the MAPD company. They are paying them, what they otherwise would be keeping, and if they are keeping it, aren't they in turn getting "paid" the money?

(Orginal Medicare could also do something about the $60B per year they pay in fraudulent claims. Why can't they identify these claims more efficiently? Why doesnt this get more attention? )

I suppose to further my point, it's no secret that beneficiaries want dental coverage, and vision. They also dont want a big deductible.

I think the comparison gets muddy when you compare OM + Medigap to MAPD. But, if you are just comparing OM to MAPD, it's a little more clear which sort of plan design people tend to prefer. If you could marry the two types of plan, they could likely produce a decent blended offspring plan. I dont expect anything like that to happen.

What do they each do for you on a daily basis?, weekly basis?, monthly basis?

They send emails to agents ?

I am adding a new non res state appointment today. I do think it's interesting how my NMO has to request the UHC appointment, rather than just calling UHC. This is how it has been in the past, so I assume it is still the process.

Another interesting point. At the top level, say the NMO, using integrity, just for example. They have so many of the bottom downline agents (the agents writing/selling) that even when business gets replaced, it can often stay in their hierarchy. Just an interesting insulation, when you have enough of the agent market.

Back