CPA's As a Lead Source

I am sure everyone has thought of CPA's as a great lead source.

I had a rough idea of getting my personal taxes done by numerous CPA's (they don't know which one you turn in) and trying to set up some sort of deal with them like getting them to offer an insurance audit to thier clients.

It can be personal or commercial. I would try to go more towards the commercial. Get them to offer this for something like $100, because people feel better about the results and validity if they pay for something. Strange but true.

Obviously you would have to do this in different towns, but does anyone see any potential problems? Does this seem like a decent idea?

My sister is a CPA. I can tell you that she and the other CPA's I know are very cautious, not at all interested in something that could reflect poorly on them. They guard their client relationships and will not easily jump on some new idea. They will not and should not allow anyone access to their client database.

They are in position to offer great referrals and will do so after you prove yourself to them. The ones I know will offer referrals after you prove you are reliable, honest, and bring value to the table. They also seem to gravitate to agents representing well known companies.

CPA's are a valuable resource, it does pay to cultivate relationships with them. But it's like growing an oak tree not like growing a Chia Pet, it takes time.

That being said you may find someone who will bite on your offer.

I don't claim to have had great success here. The best advice I've heard is make the CPA your personal client and let them see your process in action. Having the same tax return done by a number of CPAs seems ridiculous to me.

I am sure everyone has thought of CPA's as a great lead source.

I had a rough idea of getting my personal taxes done by numerous CPA's (they don't know which one you turn in) and trying to set up some sort of deal with them like getting them to offer an insurance audit to thier clients.

It can be personal or commercial. I would try to go more towards the commercial. Get them to offer this for something like $100, because people feel better about the results and validity if they pay for something. Strange but true.

Obviously you would have to do this in different towns, but does anyone see any potential problems? Does this seem like a decent idea?

Or you could save the money you'd spend getting 10 tax returns done and advertise your own tax practice. It can be a great way to generate customers and leads.

Talk to Padthai on the forum, he knows a lot about this topic.

Sounds like a good idea...Might get expensive having 10 different CPA's do your taxes. Maybe you start with your current CPA, feel him/her out on the idea and thoughts on how to apply to other CPAs.

Good luck getting CPA referrals unless they are friends or family. What are you going to do for them and their clients that every other schmuck calling them isn't offering?

My client list is my livelihood, and you can bet your ass I'm not referring them out to you, even if you are my client, unless I've known you for a very long time. The exception is if you are sending me your clients and they all rave about you.

You might find an *** here or there, but the smart cpa's will already be licensed.

If you want to cross-sell tax clients, then you should start your own tax practice. Otherwise, find another way in the door.

No CPAs are giving anything up to insurnace dogs. Forget about it. We are pond scum to them and they are smarter than the rest of us don't you know?

How about human resource managers? But yeah goodluck on your lead source. Just give it your best shot.

Getting referrals from a flock of CPA's will just have your pockets emptied. I'm not trying to say that you will not get sufficient and wise information from them but there are a lot of wise alternatives waiting to be uncovered.

Back