Current Business Owner, New Producer, Looking to go IA...

Good choice to choose Commercial Lines! That is where the fun is at! If you were to specialize in Cyber one could use a wholesaler that specializes in this area and own your book without the need for a group or aggregator. Wholesaler like Cyber, Internet, and Liability Insurance Broker- INSUREtrust would offer the product and you could work it on a national basis.

Your problem is the learning curve, and how much time can you invest in learning. IRMI is a great resource for commercial lines, but one needs to take the classroom to the field. Working as a commercial producer for local independent is maybe something to consider, at least until you have a good feel for policy's. With your IT background and desire to niche sell Cyber you might be a good fit for many.

Thanks AZDave. You're right. To be good at something you need to do it and be a student of it. I'm a student of it and have been from other perspectives (IT Insurance Software Dev) for a long time. In order to write software, I needed to learn what the underwriters knew and needed in order to assess applications and underwrite. I simply have not done it from the Agent perspective. I'd want to do right by customers and have the support to make sure that I'm covering everything. I'm willing to give a cut for that and would hope that the working relationship is so good that it would be offset by volume.

Given I'm still actively in the IT space, it did seem logical to focus and get really good at something close as opposed to trying to be OK at everything. I'll figure a way to pick up that other business along the way :)

Back