Dental, Vision & Hearing product?

Likely to be expensive, have to decide if she wants to make a long term commitment to premium level involved. When I was looking at dental options, I saw the age break at 65. Under 65 and 65 and over.

Indemnity plans: goillini and rousemark always recommend Manhattan CUL for DVH. I think Cigna has a competing plan. Medico has dental, don't know if it is DVH. I believe they tout a New Dental plan along with their New Medigap plans in some states.

UHC has "over age 65" plans that include a hearing benefit and you can add vision. They are tiered for reimbursement so the first year reimbursements are fairly low. You ought to check any plans you look at to see if they are calendar year or benefit year. You are interested in that with the tiered plans so you know when you can start on the second year reimbursement level. (I think Ameritas has gone from calendar year to benefit year because of agents pushing the Ameritas plans in the last quarter of the year-the purchasers only had to wait 3 months or less to get to second year level of benefits.)

Immediate hearing benefit-at least for hearing aids-may be somewhat limited on any DVH plan.

If the concern is just dental with immediate coverage for preventive and basic services, I would start by checking BCBS or Anthem options and Delta options for Michigan.

You can get a sense of other dental options at these three links:
dentalplans dot c0m
dentalinsurance dot c0m
https://www.investopedia.com/best-dental-insurance-plans-with-no-waiting-period-5069459

For the full spectrum of DVH I don't have other good suggestions except this possibility:

@Travis Price reps an association dental plan. I can't remember if it includes vision and hearing coverage. Prob around $65/mo. I think Benefit level is up to 5 or 6 thousand.

Sam manages another association plan. The name eludes me at the moment, and again I can't remember whether it includes vision and hearing. I think it is in the $60 per month neighborhood. I think Benefit level is up up to 5 or 6 thousand.

When did you become an insurance agent? You could make some money in retirement selling some individual dental plans.

So, Manhattan is the way to go?

(caveat, not an agent)

Whatever coverage you choose, please look at four things to be sure the plan will be suitable for your needs.

---Look at the networks of local providers for the plan you are considering for the services you need

---Look at what is covered immediately and what is not, or how immediate coverage provisions work.

For example:

Dental comes in preventive, basic and major services.
(and the categorizing of preventive and basic costs may not be consistent between plans. For example, bitewing xrays may be preventive in one plan, basic in another. D140 pain exam may be preventive in one plan, basic in another.)
Some plans will give immediate coverage on only preventive services.
Other plans will give immediate coverage on only preventive and basic services.
Other plans will give immediate coverage on everything but will start with a lower percentage of allowed cost payment, phasing into their maximum payouts over a period of 3-4 years.

Vision coverage may make some distinctions between how they pay for exams and how they pay for glasses. Also note that vision plans may only pay for the $30-$40 refraction/prescription portion of the testing the optometrist does. A little different than what some folks would expect based on experience with employer health plans.

Hearing coverage may provide immediate coverage for exams and possibly some level of repairs for existing equipment, but require you to fulfill a waiting period before you can get new hearing aids.

---Look to see if there are lifetime caps on any services. (Orthodontics and implants are two common examples of this in dental plans.)

---Premium structure. Is the policy a benefit year or calendar year and how will the future premiums be changed?

(caveat, not an agent)

Whatever coverage you choose, please look at four things to be sure the plan will be suitable for your needs.

---Look at the networks of local providers for the plan you are considering for the services you need

---Look at what is covered immediately and what is not, or how immediate coverage provisions work.

For example:

Dental comes in preventive, basic and major services.
(and the categorizing of preventive and basic costs may not be consistent between plans. For example, bitewing xrays may be preventive in one plan, basic in another. D140 pain exam may be preventive in one plan, basic in another.)
Some plans will give immediate coverage on only preventive services.
Other plans will give immediate coverage on only preventive and basic services.
Other plans will give immediate coverage on everything but will start with a lower percentage of allowed cost payment, phasing into their maximum payouts over a period of 3-4 years.

Vision coverage may make some distinctions between how they pay for exams and how they pay for glasses. Also note that vision plans may only pay for the $30-$40 refraction/prescription portion of the testing the optometrist does. A little different than what some folks would expect based on experience with employer health plans.

Hearing coverage may provide immediate coverage for exams and possibly some level of repairs for existing equipment, but require you to fulfill a waiting period before you can get new hearing aids.

---Look to see if there are lifetime caps on any services. (Orthodontics and implants are two common examples of this in dental plans.)

---Premium structure. Is the policy a benefit year or calendar year and how will the future premiums be changed?
Manhattan has no network.. Pays full benefit at any provider. However, if you use a Carrington provider, it will save you money on your coinsurance because they discount the charges.

I don't really offer dental and vision. The association plan recently dropped the previous provider and went to another carrier.

I tell people that I'll take their money, but personally I don't think Dental and Vision are worth the hassle.

LD will disagree, and that's okay. My philosophy is to insure the major stuff, pay for the minor. Most of clients agree.

I think Manhattan is probably a great option.. again, I rarely sell any vision or dental because of above.

That is the AMD level.. Most agents are not getting that.. Especially to start. In answer to the question as to how they pay, agents can receive as earned or advance if they qualify.
Oh, thank you! I filled out a form on the Manhattan Life web site and have been contacted by an FMO. I assume there is no direct appointment. Is there an FMO that has the most lucrative contract? Thanks again Goillini52 & Rousemark!

Back