Deny Claim Because of Hobby?

If you don't have comp and coll on your car, it is a throw away car.

Your under-insured or un-insured wont pay for the car, only injuries to you.

Your no tickets, no claims history, really means nothing, why do people think that since I have no tickets or claims the insurance company will re-act differently to their claim?

Another thing, they can only surcharge you if the accident is your fault. Not to sure why you are worried about them cancelling your policy.

On an aside, I very much doubt you're talking to an underwriter, you're likely talking to an adjuster. Two very different job descriptions.

Especially since an adjuster can write a check, an underwriter can't!!!!

Dan

If you don't have comp and coll on your car, it is a throw away car.

Your under-insured or un-insured wont pay for the car, only injuries to you.

Your no tickets, no claims history, really means nothing, why do people think that since I have no tickets or claims the insurance company will re-act differently to their claim?

Another thing, they can only surcharge you if the accident is your fault. Not to sure why you are worried about them cancelling your policy.

My agent has been chatting with the underwriter (the guy at HQ) and hinted to me at the possiblity of canceling me because of my hobby.

WOW ...If I happen to get claims and tickets every month my insurance carrier will treat me the same? THAT is nice to know! Or maybe I should move to YOUR company.

The adjuster that visited me and my damaged car tells me it's "probably" totaled.

I thought my state mandated uninsured property damage will pay for my car.
Oregon auto insurance law gives you the opportunity to repair under your uninsured motorist property damage coverage whether the other vehicle is identified or not. If the vehicle is identified, your deductible is $200, if the vehicle is not identified the deductible is $300. Repairs or replacement is capped at $10,000.
The accident wasn't my fault.

No the car isn't worth much compared to my neighbors. I haven't made car payments in 20 years. I have other priorities in life.

Thanks for helping me learn about this!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Especially since an adjuster can write a check, an underwriter can't!!!!

Dan

I'll try to be nice to both of them to be safe.:)

Last edited:
If you want to preemptively switch so you don't get a cancellation, I'm sure there are plenty of folks interested in taking your business.

FWIW- A lot of folks get cancelled by a carrier (which sounds terrible) and switch only to find a new carrier at about the same or lower rate. You'll be in a better position if you do it now because you won't have to tell them about a cancellation, but it might not be a bad time to call up a local independent agent (I'll shop your case with a bunch of carriers) and explain the situation.

If you want to preemptively switch so you don't get a cancellation, I'm sure there are plenty of folks interested in taking your business.

FWIW- A lot of folks get cancelled by a carrier (which sounds terrible) and switch only to find a new carrier at about the same or lower rate. You'll be in a better position if you do it now because you won't have to tell them about a cancellation, but it might not be a bad time to call up a local independent agent (I'll shop your case with a bunch of carriers) and explain the situation.

Actually, my agent suggested that for the same reasons. I've done it...and yes at a better rate! Too bad really, I liked my old agent.

If your state mandates uninsured motorist property damage coverage and if the other driver was ininsured, then yes, it would be covered under that (given any other rules that may apply).

I don't know every state, but I'm not aware of any states that mandate this coverage though. Oregon may be different, oops, went and looked....
From the Oregon DMV:
Oregon DMV Insurance Requirements
Basically, you have 25/50/25 with uninsured motorist coverage of 25/50 and PIP of 15. Your agent can tell you what all of those numbers mean, but none of them will cover YOUR car.

On your policy though, you still may have had coverage for your car if you have uninsured motorist property damage coverage. If an adjuster inspected your car, you probably do, but its an elected coverage, not a mandatory one.

Here is the other thing nobody likes to hear or think about which is WATCH THE STORAGE FEES. If the car is somewhere that is charging storage by the day, move the car. If the insurance is going to provide coverage, have them move it. Insurance will rarely pay storage fees over a few days, and they can add up very quickly.

Dan

i think you have to read the insurance policy first.beacuse you are depend on this insurance policy

Can someone explain to me how ignorant posts like this add any value to the forum?

Thanks Dan,
I'm feeling like a bit of an *** of an insurance consumer. I appreciate your expert opinion and all the other guys helping out here. I'm thinking I need a 3 grade level presentation of policies. Pictures and symbols might help.

I have an email into my agent now to confirm property damage coverage. I'm hoping she would have brought up the topic over the past two weeks since the accident occured.

Thanks for the tip about storage, the car is innocently sitting in my garage at the moment...waiting it's fate.:no:

Can someone explain to me how ignorant posts like this add any value to the forum?

HEY HEY HEY now, everyone is trying to be nice in the forums now........look at the 1000 post thread..............LOL

Back