Deny Claim Because of Hobby?

No worries. I go through this several times a week with my clients. There are such similar terms that it can be very hard to keep things straight. I do it for a living and still can cross up the terms from time to time.

Glad to hear the car is in the garage. I HATE the call about a $1500 storage bill!!!!!

Dan

Warning:content contains complaints that the world is not fair.

I find it disheartening that the uninsured guy that rear ended me and my 13 year old son on the interstate won't have any consequences, beyond fixing his shiny, newish SUV that his mommy bought him. (and not my 2100lb car)

The city police that came to the scene asked if everyone was okay. (we were) The policy here is; if nobody is hurt, no report is made. Everyone tells me I should have claimed I "may" be injured.

He also had a 6-7 year old girl in the front airbag equipped seat, without a booster.

I'm becoming a that grumpy cinical old man that nobody likes. (get off my lawn you damned kids):1mad:

DJS,
to answer your earlier question about uninsured motorist property damage ..... 14 states require UMPD, plus a handful of other states require UMPD if there is no collision coverage.

the thing I find really dumb about it are the states that require UMPD even if they have collision coverage. how pointless is that?

Last edited:
Yes, but Oregon isn't one of them.
I actually didn't know that. I wasn't aware of any states requiring UMPD coverage. Why should they? It's my loss if its my car. And heck, the premium is what? $10 a year???? Okay, maybe $15.

On the flipside, I almost never see payouts under UMPD. You have to prove the other person was uninsured, and if they are uninsured, they didn't stop and exchange info. Now, you can't prove they didn't have insurance. I do know some states work differently on this though :)

Dan

Yes, but Oregon isn't one of them.
I actually didn't know that. I wasn't aware of any states requiring UMPD coverage. Why should they? It's my loss if its my car. And heck, the premium is what? $10 a year???? Okay, maybe $15.

On the flipside, I almost never see payouts under UMPD. You have to prove the other person was uninsured, and if they are uninsured, they didn't stop and exchange info. Now, you can't prove they didn't have insurance. I do know some states work differently on this though :)

Dan

Per my agent, I do have UMPD, and we're waiting for the driver of the other car to respond to request for information from 2 insurance companies this week to make sure he's uninsured. (as if he's going to sober up and stumble to the mailbox somehow) The standard deal here in Oregon is a $200 deductable if we know who the other driver was, $300 if it's a hit and run.

So in theory, next week my insurance will settle up with me. (up to $10K)

Silly me, I just read the Oregon DMV website....
Oregon DMV Insurance Requirements

Now, it's very possible there is missing info here, I didn't spend a lot of time on this. Do you have a link to the Property Casualty Insurers thingy??? I'd love to read it and see what other 13 states are as screwy on this.

Dan

Oregon isn't like other states in so many ways...it can be good, it can be bad....Portland doesn't have floride in our water. Some think it's the big boot of the man forcing chemicals on us...hmm...

You've seen the tv show Portlandia? Uh...yeah....embassingly accurate.

Back