Did HHS Just Wipe Out Most WBE's?

I use a couple of the "double-redirect" WBEs, and have since they became available. I'd say it takes me about 15 minutes per app using the double-redirect.

The workflow is:
  1. Quote and compare plans on the WBE site
  2. Enter client basic info into WBE site
  3. WBE kicks over to HC.gov for agent login
  4. Enter client info into HC.gov app
  5. HC.gov gives elegibility notice
  6. HC.gov kicks back over to WBE site
  7. Finalize plan selection on WBE site
  8. WBE has an access button if I need to submit docs to Hc.gov

Yes MWoodbrid, thank-you very much for this workflow illustration! It's a relief to see that applicants don't have to check their e-mail for a verification link that may or may not arrive from HC.gov.. I hope CMS doesn't decide to add that worthless step. Thanks again sir.
ac

OO, oo... Kenny! Spill the beans... what can we expect this to do, and how will it impact the current ACA Express/Sherpa fast enroll?

Cannot speak to other WBE's; we have not as yet received any specific edict from CMS other than the document someone else posted which, as others pointed out, is proposed regulation changes for 2017 OE.

Cannot speak to other WBE's; we have not as yet received any specific edict from CMS other than the document someone else posted which, as others pointed out, is proposed regulation changes for 2017 OE.

Kenny, it looks to me like HHS-CMS is merely attempting to give all Web-Brokers the same "remain on WBE's site" capability that the agency specifically allows ACA Express, HealthSherpa, (and a few others?) to use for 2015 & 2016 enrollments.

The workflow is:
  1. Quote and compare plans on the WBE site
  2. Enter client basic info into WBE site
  3. WBE kicks over to HC.gov for agent login
  4. Enter client info into HC.gov app
  5. HC.gov gives elegibility notice
  6. HC.gov kicks back over to WBE site
  7. Finalize plan selection on WBE site
  8. WBE has an access button if I need to submit docs to Hc.gov

Thanks mwoodbrid!
I needed that refresher course. I used to do it this way from the bcbstx site before sherpa came along and bcbstx went offline.

Last edited:
On December 2, 2015, CMS will publish the Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2017 ("2017 Payment Rule" or "Proposed Rule"), the annual rulemaking that contains proposals to refine the administration's policy for health coverage under the Affordable Care Act. Interested parties have until December 21, 2015 to file comments. CMS previously published a fact sheet on the Proposed Rule.

The 2017 Payment Rule would change how web brokers enroll consumers and allow consumers to complete the enrollment application while remaining on the web broker's or insurer's website while the web broker or insurer obtains the eligibility information from the exchange using the Federally-facilitated exchange single streamlined application.

crowell.com/NewsEvents/All/2017-Payment-Rule-Signals-Increased-Federal-Oversight-as-Exchanges-Evolve

An agent or broker who assists with an enrollment through the Exchange must ensure that the applicant completes an eligibility verification and enrollment application through the Exchange Internet website. Under this standard, agents and brokers that use a non-Exchange website to assist consumers in the QHP selection and enrollment process (“direct enrollment” through a “web-broker”) must currently redirect an applicant to go directly to the Exchange website to complete the application and receive an eligibility determination.

HHS is considering an option under which an applicant could remain on the web-broker’s website to complete the application and enroll in coverage, and the web-broker’s website can obtain eligibility information from the Exchange to support the consumer in selecting and enrolling in a QHP with Exchange financial assistance. The intent is to have this information exchange occur through an Exchange-approved web service as described below, enhancing the direct enrollment process. This option would provide Exchanges offering direct enrollment and web-brokers more operational flexibility to expand front-end, consumer-facing channels for enrollment through a seamless consumer experience.

HHS is also considering how to ensure that consumers understand that they are applying for Exchange coverage, such as through specific branding or wording requirements if a non-FFE front-end website is used for the entire application and enrollment process.

Last edited:
With the problems surfacing about double applications for 2016, I think the redirect will actually save time in the end. I still don't know how to fix the ones I already did before just going with creating an account. The system won't let you remove the application that healthcare.gov started.

With the problems surfacing about double applications for 2016, I think the redirect will actually save time in the end. I still don't know how to fix the ones I already did before just going with creating an account. The system won't let you remove the application that healthcare.gov started.

After about a week, the system seems to recognize the new enrollment taking precedence over the auto-generated app and will allow it to be removed. I've had a few dozen cases so far where I was unable to remove the auto-gen app initially, but went back in about a week or so later and was able to remove it.

After about a week, the system seems to recognize the new enrollment taking precedence over the auto-generated app and will allow it to be removed. I've had a few dozen cases so far where I was unable to remove the auto-gen app initially, but went back in about a week or so later and was able to remove it.

Thank you, I was trying after the new app and it just gives the message "plan chosen " and there is no plan. All of my clients will have the login next year.

Back