Do I Need to Make a Hard Copy of Auto Policy?

But auto insurance is auto insurance.

Rick
Spoken like a real health agent.

Rick, what kind of car do you drive? Chevy? Ford? Dodge? Porsche? When it's wrecked, what kind of parts is your auto policy going to buy for it? Keystone? Certifit? New World International? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your collision and comp coverage will pay to have your car repaired to the standard of the insurance company. Those standards vary HEAVILY from company to company. If you have a total loss, you will be paid based on whatever system the company uses to value your car. This also varies by company.

Call 10 different body shops and ask them which is the most "fair" insurance company (or even the top 3) to deal with. Ask them who repairs the car to the highest standard. Ask the body shop owners who the insure their personal cars with (that's always telling). Then ask who does the lowest quality repairs. Ask them who attempts to have them hack a car back together. They're neutral. Even if they are a direct repair facility, they'll still throw the carrier under the bus. Being a DRP gets the shop money but it does not get the IC loyalty. You'll see trends in both ends of the spectrum. There are a few companies that do it right. Then there are a few that go for what they can get away with. Then there's the lizard; the lowest lifeform...

Then there's the lizard; the lowest lifeform...

I switched to Geico from Allstate a number of years ago and within a month or two I totaled my Passat that was only a few years old (it was a snowstorm, but I firmly maintain that the guardrail was at-fault) and they not only gave me a rental car lickity split, but they checked out the car, determined it to be a total loss, cut the check, and gave me a rental car for two weeks (which I put almost 2k miles on) so that I had time to get a new car. Say what you will about them, but I saved money when I switched and they handle the claim wonderfully.

Spoken like a real health agent.

Rick, what kind of car do you drive? Chevy? Ford? Dodge? Porsche? When it's wrecked, what kind of parts is your auto policy going to buy for it? Keystone? Certifit? New World International? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spoken like a P&C Agent.

So, do you represent every carrier or just the ones you have a contract with?

I'll bet that the "best" carrier just so happens to be one of yours.

Do you have ANY reason to believe that the company I am with will not allow genuine MB or Lexus parts on my cars?

Also, I was in P&C before you were born and still have a license. So I know I all the hype.

But tell us, which carrier is the best? And then tell us which carrier is the best of who you don't sell.

Rick

Spoken like a P&C Agent.

So, do you represent every carrier or just the ones you have a contract with?

I'll bet that the "best" carrier just so happens to be one of yours.

Do you have ANY reason to believe that the company I am with will not allow genuine MB or Lexus parts on my cars?

Also, I was in P&C before you were born and still have a license. So I know I all the hype.

But tell us, which carrier is the best? And then tell us which carrier is the best of who you don't sell.

Rick
I don't sell for any carrier. I'm not an agent. I'm an auto adjuster. I get paid to walk into bodyshops for a living. I do have reason to believe your car will no be repaired with OEM Mercedes or Lexus parts. There are only a handful of carriers that will use OEM parts for the first X amount of years old (typically 3 years old). After that, there is only 1 company that is required to buy OEM sheetmetal in all 50 states and safety items per company policy excluding when specifically requested by the insured (not approved by the NI, but requested - and that for all intents and purposes doesn't happen). There are companies that will offer a rider for OEM parts (rare) but then you'll pay an extra premium for them. That kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

I see repair estimates from every company. I see what type of repairs they'll authorize, what they push on the customers/shops against manufacturers recommendations or ICAR, the non-CAPA A/M junk they buy, their cut throat sheets if they think you're cash settling, etc. I talk to all the adjusters from all the companies. Most have no problems airing out all the issues with their own company. I hear all their stories about the stuff they are made to do. I see the companies with the high turnover rate due to ethics. Most importantly, I talk to the body shops. If you want to know how insurance companies pay to repair cars, ask the people they pay to do it for them.

While you're sitting around today, call a reputable bodyshop in your area. Tell them you recently had a bad experience with your insurance company and you're looking to change. Ask them which company you should choose for the best repair. Tell them you want a company that will 100% of the time buy you your OEM Mercedes and Lexus parts. That list will be very small.

I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone. But seeing on a daily basis the differences in what your coverage really gets you when you actually need it, I do not agree that all auto coverage is the same.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I switched to Geico from Allstate a number of years ago and within a month or two I totaled my Passat that was only a few years old (it was a snowstorm, but I firmly maintain that the guardrail was at-fault) and they not only gave me a rental car lickity split, but they checked out the car, determined it to be a total loss, cut the check, and gave me a rental car for two weeks (which I put almost 2k miles on) so that I had time to get a new car. Say what you will about them, but I saved money when I switched and they handle the claim wonderfully.
Be very thankful your car was totaled. Had they paid to repair it, it would have been about 100 lighter. :laugh:

Last edited:
Be very thankful your car was totaled. Had they paid to repair it, it would have been about 100 lighter. :laugh:

So you're saying it would have been more fuel efficient? Awesome!

On a more serious note, what are you basing that on?

You notice he never said that by doing it yourself you can't get a good policy with one of his preferred companies.

I'd be willing to be he is employed by Allstate.

Also, I challenged anyone to show me that my policy was deficient compared to a non-direct writer. Nobody bothered because when push comes to shover, they all have the same benefits.

Rick

Actually, auto policies vary dramatically on how they cover repairs and what they will cover. Also, carriers vary dramatically on how much they will stick up for you when the at-fault person is in dispute.

But, to a P&C agent, health insurance (and life) is easily bought online, after all, its picking a deductible and a premium. To a health agent, auto insurance is easily bought online.

If increased coverages at a higher premium is what an agent brings to the table, the client should go direct. It really is that simple. Now, if I can get you increased coverages at a lower premium, then I bring value to the table and its worth working with me.

Rick - I could take you up on your offer to find you a better rate. Since my system actually shops virtually every carrier in California (some exceptions, but few), even if I don't have them, I know what their rates are and could tell you who has the best rates for you. I can quote carriers you don't even know exist, but thats what I do. From there, we would have a discussion about what happens during an accident. It sometimes is worth paying a bit more.

By the way, having OEM sheetmetal on your 2001 Honda Accord is probably a waste of everyones money. Not having to go get it off a car in the junkyard? Priceless!!!! Different carriers do this different ways.

Dan

Back