Do Not Call Violations-Urgent Question-Help!!!

Bill, I almost completely agree with you. Here is the thing though, in a civil case their has to be a basis for the claim. If you accidentally break my fence by hitting it with your lawn mower, I'll take you to civil court based on the damage to the fence. If you call me and bother me, I have to prove that I suffered some type of a financial loss and usually can only seek that damage amount or some multiplier thereof. The reason why folks in California can sue for these calls is because of the way the consumer protection laws work (hint, I've talked to an attorney about this very issue).

In contrast, if you call me, I have to prove that there was some damage to myself that the courts can remedy with a judgement. If you called my cell phone and I went over by $1 in overages and then wanted to put on $500 for emotional distress, maybe, but that's the type of situation you're having to look at.

What evidence to you have to support your theories?

Again, I'm not saying that any of the above is a reason to ignore the DNC laws, you're better off scrubbing the lists (or buying them scrubbed) and not worrying about it. It's not the civil suit that would bother me though, I'd be concerned about the FTC wanting to fine me $16k/call for 1,000 calls.

Indiana has a state DNC law as well as the federal DNC. However, under the Indiana state law insurance agents are exempt from the regulation. Just a point of information since the fed law would still apply.

xrac said:
Indiana has a state DNC law as well as the federal DNC. However, under the Indiana state law insurance agents are exempt from the regulation. Just a point of information since the fed law would still apply.

Question. Does your Indiana law also exempt politicians like the federal law?

Question. Does your Indiana law also exempt politicians like the federal law?

You're missing why they're exempt. Yes, they absolutely are. They're not selling anything.

Indiana exempts insurance agents because they aren't selling a tangible product (or so the story goes).

Josh said:
You're missing why they're exempt. Yes, they absolutely are. They're not selling anything.

Indiana exempts insurance agents because they aren't selling a tangible product (or so the story goes).

That is BULLSHIp. They are selling something and that something is thier canidates election. The calls are as annoying as any telemarketer call.

The Indiana law exempts realtors, insurance agents and politicians because they all have strong lobbiests.

Had a question on this. I live in indiana, which specifically states that as a licensed agent I can call people on the DNC. Does is matter if they are on the national DNC and state DNC? If I try calling people am I gonna get in trouble?

Back