Doctor's Office Idea

I have an idea that I want to run past the forum and see what everyone thinks. I have spoke to a guy who does this, but he sells medical equipment.

He will show up without an appointment early in the moring and take in a small tin with M&M's or some other small candy to the receptionist. He will ask for the office manager or head nurse etc and try to sell them his product. His is a product for kids, so he only goes after pediatric offices.

He says he gets there early in the mornings, always before 9 and more times than not, he gets to see who he is trying to see, simply by delivering candy to the receptionist or whoever the office lady is.

I want to do this for commercial insurance for practices (GL, commercial auto, work comp). I think it has some merit, I can talk about being a young, local agent that will take care of them. My Dad is a doctor so I can tell them, I understand the medical community etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions or ways to make this idea better?

Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Waste of time?

Thanks in advance for any comments or critiques!

M&M s??????

What? Are they out of Milk Duds?

I would raise the bar on the candy a little bit.

I think M&Ms are great. My opinion is that receptionists probably like a small container of something they can put on their desk. Plus, you're not trying to impress them with the type, you're just trying to be nice to get them on your side.

I think it's a good idea. One question though...are you running in to problems just going in and getting to see the owner?

I've used the concept with cookies. It does start to get the gatekeeper on your side. Since your Dad is a doctor, can he provide introductions into some of these other offices for you?

disclaimer I have no experience marketing or in insurance. I think for the morning a thing of baked goods is nice. It's something the whole staff can have. Most grocery stores have small trays you don't need it to be catered. Just get a bag of forks, small party plates and napkins from the dollar store and pick up couple things of croisants and muffins.:1cool:

This sounds silly but a lot of staff love pizza if you wanted to do something later in the day. If you do that, I would talk to the manager, find a deal and make sure it's a driver that will bring the pizza to their office with clear delivery instructions. You don't want a driver calling from the lobby and getting voicemail or telling them they need to go to the other side of the hospital to pick it up.:nah:

I would stay away from Monday mornings too! :yes:

homero-simpson-wallpaper-homer-1024.jpg

One more nice thing I thought of is buying whole grain bread from a bakery and then picking up some dips or spreads for it. People always enjoy those!:)

Go on Fannie May's website. Look up the Truffles Sampler and order $500 at a time.
You'll get free shipping and 20% discount off the regular $15 per box.
They look nice in a classy looking red box. Not too much. Not too little.
I pass them out to everyone I meet. Mail replies, referals etc.

Enough with the lemonheads and milk duds already! Yeeeessshh!!!!!!!!!

Back