Does Aetna offer individual dental plans?

I agree but Aetna has no waiting periods even on major treatments. I think they do require you use a network provider.

I agree but Aetna has no waiting periods even on major treatments. I think they do require you use a network provider.
Manhattan doesn't have a waiting period on dental either(except for pre-existing).

Aetna and Manhattan both have a 12 month wait on Orthodontics.

Manhattan has a 12 month wait on pre-existing(something that's already been documented), I couldn't find anywhere about pre-existing for Aetna.

Aetna's like Manhattan, they have a network, but you don't have to use it.

Last edited:
Most Dental Plans i've seen only cover 50% of costs... What percent does Aetna Cover?

That is a very, very general question which overlooks at least two things.

Dental services come in 3 groups, Preventive, Basic, and Major. I think Preventive and Basic services are often covered by Dental Plans at more than 50%.

Another KEY provision is that the percentages are applied to the Dental Plan carrier's ALLOWED AMOUNT for the service provided, NOT the Dental Provider's billed amount.

There can be significant differences between the service's billed amount and allowed amount.

You will also find there can be noticeable differences between the amounts allowed for a given service from carrier to carrier.
For example,from 2 EOB's:
D2391 filling
Billed at $180.
Carrier A allowed $86
Carrier B allowed $136.91

(And to further complicate things, I think the allowed amount for a given service from one carrier will vary from provider to provider. I assume that relates to different contract provisions between the providers and the carrier, but I don't know.)

Latest posts

Back