Does "Door to Door" Work Anymore?

Door to Door has worked for me, I haven't done any in the past month but I have received referrals and business from my door knocking.

Basically, knock on doors and leave a flyer. Introduce yourself and ask for permission to give a quote. I think it depends on how you present yourself because some folks say it isn't worth the time but in my experience I can get 2-4 ok's to quote per hour. I do this with auto and home only though.

If you look like a sleazy insurance agent you'll get your ass handed to you but if you come across as sincere with their best interest in mind you can make it worth your while. Lately, I've been working off of referrals and other marketing methods but I do have plans of hitting the "streets" again in the near future.

I tried door to door a few years ago with minimal success. I found that for the amount of time spent and the sales generated, it was not worth my time. I'd rather cold call for the same amount of hours I would spend door knocking. I can reach more people this way.

Disclaimer: IMO this should NOT be your only method of prospecting...alone would be a complete waste of precious time but in conjunction with other methods of prospecting it's a nice change of pace, exercise, and meeting people face to face.

Last edited:
Door knocking works.
Cold calling works.

The problem is, they work less and less all the time as people become inundated/suspicious/defensive.

The are things that work better.

True that, to a point. I think you might not have very much success with certain types of people...you have to know your target market. For me it's Spanish speaking neighborhoods where people are more open to meeting and talking with other people who can speak their language.

Very large spanish speaking community here in the central valley.

Back