Don't Buy Leads, Please!

This post is going to ruffle some feathers. (the feathers of those selling the leads) Every forum I participate on, every agent I meet asks about internet leads. Every group of agents I have ever met comes to the same conclusion: they are no good. (Here come the comments, they'll be nasty I am sure)

To start, I have personally spent $15,000 on internet leads.

Internet leads are no good for 98% of the 1000's of agents I have interacted with over the course of my career (12 years). Literally 2% of the 1000's of agents I have met have been able to make them work. When I find those agents, I am amazed.

Consider:
ROI
Retention
Type of Risk.
LR vs Profit. (Bonus ability)
Conversion ratio
Cost
Ability to network without the need of Purchasing leads.
Other ways to generate leads without purchasing Internet leads. (Millions of ways.

Regards,
Shawn M. Walker
Agent consultant

There is no better lead source out there then internet leads, but you have to generate them on your own, leads companies have been terrible for years..

3. My Personal email address was used as my username, just cause, Better than my professional email address I guess.
Interesting...I thought maybe you used your email address as your name so folks would contact you and inquire about your services and vast wealth of knowledge.

And he puts "agent consultant" underneath his name. Guess that has no reason for being there either. ... Oy Vey......

Jack L. Lenenberg
[email protected]
Consultant to Shawn Walker et al

Last edited:
I've built a pretty decent book both captive and Indy with Internet leads. These leads that become customers turn out to be good customers for me. I get them to refer me to their friends and family and I close them to. I also cross sell all of them so even though my pure ROI is not great my overall ROI is. I protect these people from shopping again by staying in touch throughout the year and holding annual reviews over the phone.

Your right Internet leads are not the best option but they can be a pretty good source of business if worked right.

. Internet leads are no good for 98% of the 1000's of agents I have interacted with over the course of my career (12 years). Literally 2% of the 1000's of agents I have met have been able to make them work. When I find those agents, I am amazed.

It's not the leads it's the agent, Glen Gary Glen Ross is a perfect reference here. Good agents can write business with internet leads and not so good agents can't. I can buy the best golf clubs on the planet but that won't change the fact that I'm a crappy golfer. Even though I still blame it on the clubs to this day.

Shawn you are 100% correct! Internet leads unless developed on your own site are horrible. The problem is that 10 other agents get the same lead and the prospect gets sick of the phone calls. I like the way compulife gives the prospect the free quote and then if they like the price, they can request an application be mailed to them. This way, you definitely know you have a buyer not a price shopper.

Oh I have never heard of that. I like that!

Also, possibly lead generators that are not selling to 10 agents but one. Possibly a better winning scenario.

Shawn you are 100% correct! Internet leads unless developed on your own site are horrible. The problem is that 10 other agents get the same lead and the prospect gets sick of the phone calls. I like the way compulife gives the prospect the free quote and then if they like the price, they can request an application be mailed to them. This way, you definitely know you have a buyer not a price shopper.

Just to clear up what I think will be some confusion.

Compulife employs two different basic strategies for the web, for the benefit of our customers. This refers to the first one.

First, a Compulife subscriber can add their own web quote system to their own web site for only $99 per year (a subscriber is someone who is at least buying our $199 windows quote package; so it's an all in cost of $298 per year).

Most subscribers use the quote system as you will see here:

Life Insurance Quotes

If you want to see example of how they place our page on their website, you just need to peruse those listed on google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pow...=1C1CHMO_enUS554US554&oq=Powered+by+COMPULIFE

NOTE: the "Powered by COMPULIFE®" reference can be removed from the page, but most subscribers recognize that Compulife is to life insurance much like what Kelley Blue Book is to used car dealers. So the above search won't find everyone using our quotes, but a significant percentage.

Even so, there are other options which can be employed for you own website quotes. Those are found here:

Life Insurance Quotes

For example, some agents want to require a consumer to identify who they are before letting that consumer run quotes. That option looks like this:

Life Insurance Quotes

Personally, I'm not big on this approach because a wary consumer who doesn't hit the back button on their browser is likely to give their name as Elmer Fudd, their email as [email protected] and the phone number as 502-555-2345. At least that's why I like to use and I am told I am not alone.

But be that as it may, we have different options for different people who get to pursue their own marketing strategy as they want.

The second way that subscribers can participate in web marketing is by being listed at Compulife's public web site:

Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons

Now to be clear, Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons is Compulife's web site, it's not our customers' web site. You aren't giving comparisons and quotes to consumer, we are. That's different than you putting the page you see at Life Insurance Quotes on your own site.

NOTE: Each customers page is unique. For example, each subscriber controls which companies appear in their quotes. Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons, which is our site, quotes everything we have in the system.

However, Compulife doesn't sell life insurance. What the Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons site attempts to do, for those consumers who want to buy a policy and wonder where they can go to get it, is provide lists of agents who subscribe to Compulife. Every consumer gets the names and phone numbers of 3 subscribers and can easily call those agents or contact them through the email mechanism associated with the listing function.

Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons does not require a consumers to identify themselves in order to run a quote. They can run all the quotes they want - FREE.

To me the web is like your local shopping mall with big glass windows in each store so that people walking by can look at what you are offering, and decide if they want to come in. This is otherwise known as "retail" marketing, and so not everyone who visits your windows, and looks at your wares, is going to buy those wares from you. Your window casts a big net, and you hope to get a few fish going by, not every fish going by.

In my view it is a bad idea to black out the windows and say, if you tell me who you are, I'll let you come in and look at what we have.

That's why Term4Sale - Instant Term Life Insurance Comparisons pretty much looks like and functions the way Life Insurance Quotes can look and function at your website.

But you don't have to agree with my strategy, in order to implement a variation of Life Insurance Quotes it on your website.

If you are new to Compulife, you can get everything I've talked about free for for 4 months by requesting a 30 day free trial.

Compulife ® Software Inc.

In the email we send you you will get instructions on how you get the 4 free months - with no obligation to have to buy anything at the end of the 4 free months.

Back