Don't Buy Leads, Please!

Oh I have never heard of that. I like that!

Also, possibly lead generators that are not selling to 10 agents but one. Possibly a better winning scenario.

Gosh, I've tried to not comment on this post since Shawn first posted, but I finally decided to make an entrance.

Shawn, IMHO, just because you once wasted $15k on internet leads does not make you an "Expert" on the good/bad of internet leads. Like I've posted before on the AllBlueBlog, [yes, where you've enjoyed sparring with me also] there are many ways to find new clients in the insurance business. Internet leads are perhaps the best per the agents that use them correctly, but to others "leads suck." Which always makes those guys that are making them work...laugh all the way to the bank.

If only the 1% could make internet leads work, [to quote you], then it sure makes one wonder how a public company like BankRate can be such a huge company living off the 1%. Ever checked out a public company called QuinStreet? I suspect not. Anyway, I've found sparring with you on posts is like tilting at windmills. If you've got your head in the sand as a "consultant," far be it from me to educate you on how to be successful. I try to keep an open mind when some say "leads suck." If you're interested in learning more....

I'm in Denver on a monthly basis. It appears you are too, so if you'd like to meet up to break bread & discuss how one just might make money with internet leads, shoot me an email & I'll check my schedule.

Until then, all the best!

Last edited:
Bob,

I represent a group with 200+ agents in 20+ states. Lets meet while you are in Denver. If you can get me I can get you in front of those agents. But as you can imagine I will not be an easy sale.

Some questions:

Where do the leads come from?
How many agents are the same lead being sold to?
Is the same lead being sold over and over? (Say, after the initial sale of the lead to 10 local agents does it get sold again six months later to ten more local agents?)
What is the average retention on an internet lead?
How do your leads differ from a company like Bankrate.
Why do lead companies use and buy marketing lists with hundreds of thousands of emails, addresses and Names?
In a world of Good, Better, Best, why would I work with good leads? (Internet leads instead of better or best leads?)
Do lead companies sell the same lead to multiple agents?
Are your leads different that Netquotes leads?
What conversion ratio can I expect on an internet lead?

I met a lead sales guy once working at an agency and he knew nothing about insurance. Crazy. I met a person who worked at one of the large lead providers and they too knew nothing about where or how the leads were generated. Crazy?

Give me a call, we'll meet at my office or for a coffee.

The only good lead is the one that the agent closes. All other leads stink in the minds of many. I find that the cost of acquisition is the most important number. If it takes $150.00 to buy a customer that will pay you $1000.00 over a lifetime that's a pretty good return. That could be one sale out of fifteen cheap internet leads or one sale out of five exclusive well developed expensive leads.
As far as insurance goes. The internet is an important part of the marketing mix and will remain so. The developer of a quality some what exclusive internet lead will do very well both for the agent and for the lead developer. It has to be a win win.
There is no free lunch

Back