Don't Sell Med Supps!

Frank's advice works with people who are not seniors too. Most people are leery of the old style sales BS.

But we still have to offer them an opportunity to come aboard if it's best for them!

like a kid on xmas:laugh:

as a side note, me and my gf gifted handguns to each other for xmas. I got her a Taurus PT111, and she got me a S&W 9mm.

Ever go trap shooting Frank?

Exactly like a kid at Christmas. I have waited six months for it and it was well worth the wait. It's a hand built 1911 that defies description. I own several pistols but none feel and shoot like this one does. It shoots like a dream.

Both are nice pistols, great gifts to each other. Can you carry in OH? If so is that your intent?

Yes, I do shoot trap, however, I have also gotten into sporting clays. That can be a humbling experience at first.

I still think you need to present all their options and let them decide because everyone is different. If you are not at least showing them the MAPD plans you are doing them a disservice. Just because you may not like them does not mean it is not what they want. I thoroughly explain A, B, C and D of Medicare and go over what the Med Sup plans cover and also go through the MAPD plan and then let them decide.

There's no way in meeting a client for an hour you can recommend which plan is right for them. Some have been used to copays for 40 years and do not mind paying to go to the Dr. or hospital if they can get their health insurance plus a prescription drug plan for $0 premium.

I totally agree about not being pushy but do not agree about steering them one way or the other, in fact I'm pretty sure Medicare doesn't want you steering them either. Just my opinion.

Right now I am doing 50% Med Sups and 50% MAPD plus a GTL hospital plan and I let every one of the client's decide themselves which they prefer.

In your enthusiasm to bring MA plans into this thread I believe you have missed the point of this thread and what I said. No where have I addressed MA plans and whether or not they are a suitable substitute for a Med Supp nor have I attempted to compare them.

I only deal with people who want a Med Supp and I find that out in a very short period of time. If they prefer to have an MA plan then I refer them to an agent who places MA Plans.

But since you brought it up, yes, unlike MA plans I do know the best Med Supp plan to recommend without the necessity of spending a substantial amount of time discussing it with my prospect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Trap is one clay, skeet is two clays going off in the opposite directions correct? We intend to carry...

Yes, and sporting clays are usually two "birds" that may be thrown in among trees, bouncing on the ground like a rabbit or coming directly toward you. A blast to shoot, almost like flushing a covey of quail at the edge of the woods.

Last edited:
How does the client know they want a Med Sup if they haven't been shown the MA plan and had it fully explained to them?

How does the client know they want a Med Sup if they haven't been shown the MA plan and had it fully explained to them?

Some have their mind made up when you first talk to them. Others are looking for information.

If someone specifically asks for an MA plan I make sure they understand they will need to use the carrier docs and hospitals and they will have several thousand OOP when their health goes south.

As long as they are comfortable with that I refer them out and don't waste any more time with them.

Its really pretty easy MidLevel- If they are on disability, or dead broke they probably want an MA; if they have money they probably want a Med Supp.

Wow, rapidrobert if only it was that simple. I've got millionaires on the MAPD that love it. So what if they pay $20 to go to the Dr. or a couple hundred for a stay in the hospital. I just don't understand all the hate on the MA Plans. I've had people on them for several years and they have had several opportunities to go back to the Med Sup because one MA plan left their County but none want to go back to paying $300-$400/month for their Med Sup plus a PDP between the two of them.

Like I said earlier I do sell alot of Med Sups but I really think you are selling yourself short if you just automatically refer them to someone else if they show interest in a MA Plan. It would be like selling car insurance but when they ask for a quote on their homeowners you send them somewhere else.

Back