Don't Sell Med Supps!

I don't get the big deal with CMS guidelines. Do the AHIP, send out a SOA before you meet with them and explain everything thoroughly. They really are not that big of a deal once you get used to them. I think some people are just lazy and do not want to do the extra work so they just sell Med Sups.

I don't get the big deal with CMS guidelines. Do the AHIP, send out a SOA before you meet with them and explain everything thoroughly. They really are not that big of a deal once you get used to them. I think some people are just lazy and do not want to do the extra work so they just sell Med Sups.

Maybe because "big brother the fed" is tough entity to deal with, and because MAPD, and MA, and part D, and all that jazz, is vastly unpopular with both sides, both R and D politically?

And 30% of all Medicare beneficiaries are now on a Medicare Advantage plan so I think they are here to stay like it or not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nope you sure didn't. Guess that is one that won't be answered. I wonder why????????

I run one appt. for a Med Sup, then 48 hours later one for a MA Plan, then 48 hours later talk about GTL and then 48 hours later I discuss the PDP. Then I take another 2 days to let them consider their options and finally at the last appt. we write whatever they choose. Takes a couple weeks but at least they get to see all their options and don't just get a Med Sup pushed upon them.

Last edited:
And 30% of all Medicare beneficiaries are now on a Medicare Advantage plan so I think they are here to stay like it or not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nope you sure didn't. Guess that is one that won't be answered. I wonder why????????

I run one appt. for a Med Sup, then 48 hours later one for a MA Plan, then 48 hours later talk about GTL and then 48 hours later I discuss the PDP. Then I take another 2 days to let them consider their options and finally at the last appt. we write whatever they choose. Takes a couple weeks but at least they get to see all their options and don't just get a Med Sup pushed upon them.

Your 30% MA penetration is an overstatement just like the "$300 to $400" per month Med Supp premiums are.

There is not one agent on here who "pushes Med Supps" on prospects. That is another embellishment. Professional agents don't have to "push" anything on anyone. They also know how to prospect and get pertinent information during the initial conversation.

Hmm, you do that with every prospect you sell either an MA, PDP or a Med Supp policy to Then, after two weeks of meetings, with each person, you write the app. Interesting. You must literally work 24 hours a day seven days a week during AEP.

Sorry Frank, I gave a dumb answer to a dumb question. I hope you have a SOA done before you get pertinent information during the initial conversation. The $300-$400 I mentioned is per couple and includes the PDP if they don't have the VA or some other prescription plan. I'm betting 30% is not far off after this last AEP.

I will say it again I am not totally pro MA plans but I think it's our job to present both and let the client decide. Obviously you have been doing this a long time and are very successful at it and I am doing pretty good also. Just get tired of everyone bashing the MA plans and maybe it's because they are not real good in your part of the country. Not sure why some people think the Hospital Indemnity plans are such a rip off either since they pay up to 10 days in the hospital (even if client only has 4 days of copays) and can help offset other copays such as follow up Dr. appts or rehab.

I wouldn't go back 4 or 5 times. Heck...I figure they would get tired of seeing me that many times. Usually if they don't buy on the initial visit they won't ever. At least not from me. A small percent it does take 2 visits, but I wouldn't think my percent of doing that would be over 5-10%.

Last edited:
It was a sarcastic answer to those who kept asking if I present all of my client's options at the same time. Since I have a SOA done ahead of the appointment I do show them different options depending if they initialed both the MA and the PDP boxes on the SOA.

Back