Door hangers-Real ROI numbers

Summer is here time for door hangers and water bottles!
Best results I get from door hangers is doing them myself 8am to 10 am. You always get a few people home who stop you and want to talk about what you do. Plus the exercise doesn't hurt me a bit! Water Bottles I get printed with my info on them and on slow days drive around with a cooler in my front seat full of them. I stop and hand them out at construction sites etc and get great conversion rates especially when it's 90 degrees here!

Bottles I get printed with my info on them

Who does that for you?

How much does it cost per bottle?

If you decide to use beer instead, you can come thru my neighborhood. I will let you know next time I am mowing the yard.

I've been doing this insurance game in Austin since 1990. Just my opinion:
door hangers that send somebody to a norvax site for health insurance will not yield great results. Just from experience.

A better use of your time would be walking in to businesses, telling them you offer health insurance, and seeing when a good time would be to come back and quote it in person.

But, try it a while and come back here and tell us how you do.

{ actually, the water thing is a great idea, then you are there and talking to people live, I like live talking, I dislike the "leaving info around", because said info that you left -can get tossed out really easily.}

Last edited:
I've been doing this insurance game in Austin since 1990. Just my opinion:
door hangers that send somebody to a norvax site for health insurance will not yield great results. Just from experience.

A better use of your time would be walking in to businesses, telling them you offer health insurance, and seeing when a good time would be to come back and quote it in person.

But, try it a while and come back here and tell us how you do.

{ actually, the water thing is a great idea, then you are there and talking to people live, I like live talking, I dislike the "leaving info around", because said info that you left -can get tossed out really easily.}

One sale is break-even... Even at a miserable response rate of .25%, you're looking at 25 leads. Sell one in twelve and you've made 2 sales...

John also stated he got lots of hits on his site last year... I would bet more hits than inbound phone calls? He used to have an extremely detailed online quote form... I honestly expect .50% response or better.

There's no doubt at all that "formal" B to B will yield far better results. However, it is what it is and a lot of agents simply do not feel comfortable pitching small biz owners directly.

This is an "anything is better than nothing" marketing method. And trust me - something is absolutely better than wasting time in your office.

We've already established the the return is quite low - .05%. However, you can still earn an extra $1,000 per week with 90 minutes of time invested per day.

For many agents - that's the extra push of income they need to get some cash flow going and get into other marketing methods.

I was actually told BtoB was a waste of time when I was new and to buy leads. However, I did not have the proper lead budget and went B to B anyway - against the senior agent's advice.

I'm glad I didn't listen to them.

B2B is great, but as John has stated, many new agents just don't feel comfortable doing it. I'm not going to recommend a lead generation tactic to my current and future agents without trying it myself first and I feel the door hanger thing could definitely make sense for agents.

OK off the subject of door hangers and sharing a trick out of my private bag. A great way to get business referrals is when sitting a business appointment (i do mostly face to face) bring a list of similar businesses from the area for when your done the appointment. I pull out my printed list and say I was wondering if they know and of these people in their same business that they think may be able to use my services. They look down the list and always pick 2 or 3 that I should call. I get the list from switchboard.com. Works great and it's free!!

Yellow Pages, White Pages, Maps, and more - Switchboard.com

Back