Dropped DUI Years Ago - Now Applying to Companies.

Years ago I got caught in a DUI checkpoint. I had it taken to court, and dismissed/dropped.

I have been in the process of interviews, etc.. with this Insurance Agency in Pennsylvania. They offered me a contract, and gave me certain applications for appointment/license with companies they deal with.

On one of the questions, It asks if I've ever been convicted, charged with, dismissed, bla bla bla a crime.

I answered no, because I figured it would not appear on a criminal background, but now I'm thinking it will.

The problem is, I havent told the agency about my record (which is nothing, I have NEVER been convicted.) and I'm afraid they'll see the dropped dui charge and rescind the contract.

What should I do/How should I handle it. The applications I marked the answers on have not been submitted as I have not yet faxed my prospective boss my insurance license.

(This means I could go back and change the answer, and try to explain something to the boss.)

HELP! I've changed my lifestyle, and went straight, and I don't want this to haunt my adult life!

My advise is to be honest and up front with the truth. Tell them what happend and that the charges were drop.

Thanks Markin...

I'm concerned about how I should let the owner of the agency know, as the application screened me for convictions, which I don't have, and I thought this would have no bearing on the position, as the state license passed me with no qualms, and nothing showed up on the state background check run when I was licensed.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should lay this out for her? I'm pretty sure I just want to tell her up front, as her and her father worked along with a family member of mine for 40 years, and I don't want to tarnish that relationship.

Thanks for any advice.. I'm freaking out!

Thanks Markin...

I'm concerned about how I should let the owner of the agency know, as the application screened me for convictions, which I don't have, and I thought this would have no bearing on the position, as the state license passed me with no qualms, and nothing showed up on the state background check run when I was licensed.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should lay this out for her? I'm pretty sure I just want to tell her up front, as her and her father worked along with a family member of mine for 40 years, and I don't want to tarnish that relationship.

Thanks for any advice.. I'm freaking out!

I would get off of the defensive and leave it alone. It is violation of state law, in most states, for an employer to ask about any offense where there has been no conviction - period. Just move on and diplomatically put them on the ropes if it comes up. Skip the whole bit about explaining yourself and having reformed your life etc. It is none of their business and you have no conviction.

Almost every carrier has asks about arrests, bk's, complaints, etc.

The prob you now face is you've told your employer no, and you will need to answer yes on the carrier app.

Full disclosure is the way to go. A DUI won't prevent the carrier or DOI from licensing, but non-disclosure is enough to have your license yanked.

Back