Dropped DUI Years Ago - Now Applying to Companies.

I stated originally honesty is the best policy. I was answering a question as to whether it would appear on his "record" or not. I welcome anyone nationwide to show me when someones "criminal history" is checked if there is a DUI listed. It is not, only once again, if there was an accident involved and injuries or a fatality. If someone ran his motor vehicle record which is totally different from a criminal record then and only then would you see a DUI, but in his case you wouldn't even see that because the charge was dismissed. By the way, MADD has nothing to do with it. I've worked closely with them over the years and have endless respect for what they've gone through. Just so you know, everything I've stated to you does not mean I agree with it. Its just the way it is. To get more personal, I personally lost a member of my immediate squad this past summer that has worked with me the past ten years due to a drunk driver while he was transporting a prisoner, so in no way shape or form do I support any drunk drivers. I'm merely calling it like it is. In this case it is criminal because he killed the one offcer and seriously injuried the other officer that was with him along with the prisoner who was also injuried. This "criminal" now faces 50 years, and I hope he gets every bit of it.

Alright then. There are other issues and technicalities that go beyond what can be fleshed out here. Some of it has to do with the aforementioned question of whether the dui was a misdemeanor or a felony etc with different implications in different states for licensing.

The other finer point that comes up, is the difference between what can legitimately be asked by a hiring insurance agency versus the licensing agency. It goes beyond just the issue of arrested versus convicted. Some states may license you even if your dui was a felony but the hiring agency/company may still have an issue because the applicant often can not get bonded with a felony conviction even if they are licensed. Bonding may or may not be an issue.

Things like that, and others.

I honestly just went through the same thing. In my case which is like most you employer asks generall about felonies which I replied no to but when it came time to get appointed the question what have you ever had any type of misdemeanor and/or had any license suspended which I had to reply yes to because I lost my license and had to get a work permit for 120 days so I had to disclose it then to me employer. It didn't affect me either way because in both instances I read EXACTLY what was being asked and answered accordingly. Just go back and reread the questions and as I found out it worked in my favor.
Good Luck!

What's the point to admitting to something that you weren't convicted of. If it was dismissed there no criminal record to show and regardless of who pulls your cr it will reflect that. Your building this up in your mind as a big deal when it doesn't have to be.

I say leave it alone.

When I was much younger in the military I got a DUI. When I started my appointments I told them, and it was not a big deal at all. Never a problem out of it besides being ashamed to admit it.

Back