Farmers Insurance?

Since this thread started I have gotten several sets of dec pages from Farmers. A young couple with a 125k house and a $2500 deductible? How bad are the rates where they have to jack up the deductible that much to stay competitive?

I know quite a few ex-Farmer's agents. I would stay away. Farmers tends to lure you in with a unicorn and then saddle you like an a$$.
You COULD make it work if you have a lot of capital... but if you have that- do your research and start an independent.

I can only speak for CO where Farmers has rates that are generally double anyone else. If you can put a positive shine on that, you are a better salesperson than me.

They burned the IA channel years ago & tried to re-enter and nobody would write them so now they went captive. Much of Allsnake's head management & their minions went over to Farmers.

It's a hiring blitz right now saturating the market w/ agents & buying up marketshare. There's a Farmers agent on here who drinks their koolaid & advocates for them, however they're just another rotten captive.

i doesn't matter what company your selling for. You are not going to win them all. If you need more sales then you need more leads. It's a numbers game and you need to know your ROI. If the pricing always gets you down you won't be successful. This is a five year gig. That's how long it takes to start making the money you want. Of course that's relative but I think it holds true for most. The person investing 30k month in the business has a different mind set than an agent investing 1000/ mo but the five year thing seems to be the magic number for both. So strap in and be prepared.

So I was at a charity event and a guy working with me said his rates were really high with farmers but the agent said not to worry and stay put because they have a massive overhaul and nationwide rate drop October 1st. Has anyone else heard this. I had a couple of people with this agent that said they were going to move with me in the last few weeks but now they are MIA.

It all comes down to one thing and one thing only. You will not make it if you don't know how to market and sell. First and foremost you are a marketing machine. Generate enough quotes in the market your carrier WANTS market share. It's sad to watch decent Agents fail because they don't understand how to market and get a good ROI or ENOUGH quotes. There was an amazing sales Agent I talked to at a training class the DM had me talk at who was talking trash about rates. I asked him how many quotes he was doing a month. He said 30 and they were 30 internet leads he purchased. I tried not to laugh. Then I explained almost 50% of internet leads are bad, 90% of those 50% are hardcore rate shoppers and avg closing ratio on an internet lead is 10-15%. No wonder you're pissed about rates! Then I explained Farmers in his area are going after "Preferred" (good credit) and no accidents type of customers. He wasn't using any filters on his internet leads because they were too expensive.

The above is why Agents are failing. They don't understand how to market. They don't understand how to discover where their carriers are competitive and focus their marketing and Increase ROI.

And hiring the right people which I know is one of the hardest things to do. At least in my area it's near impossible to find good people.

Hopefully my software will help these agents make it. Taking the above issues and solving them for you. (Excluding hiring)

Last edited:
When I first got into insurance I gave Farmers a try.

In my case I didn't make it because I didn't know anything about the business at all, of course the recruiter promised that I was going to get all the training that I'll need but that never happened.

I got some theory but never any actual experience. I would get some names from Cole's to do cold calling and I was expected to do everything for myself, including figuring out their computer system. The DM was always harping about the numbers and his mantra was "sell, sell, sell". Not a bad expectation if I knew anything about the business, which I didn't.

Back