FE Mailer I Created With Results

posted by JDeasy

"I don't have to fool with that crap anymore, thank God!! I tell Ryan at EFES how many leads I want for the next week and bam! They are in my box on Sat. morn. I don't have to be concerned about the return % or whether it was sent first class or not. All I have to do turn on or off the spigot."

Hey JD,

I don't understand how the number of leads you choose to get for any given week can happen that fast if your using mailers. Do they have a bunch of excess leads sitting around in your area? Are you working old lead cars as well as new? I have worked mailers and from the time the order was placed it took several weeks for them to come in and even then they came in very randomly?

What am I missing?

They are constantly mailing my counties. Sometimes they will tell me they just mailed 5000 pieces for me. I don't know how much they mail every week for me. That's something I don't have to deal with.

I agee that thjey come in randomly when you are doing your own. That's another advantage to being with EFES. I'm sure they 4-5-6 leads siting in various counties that I work waiting until they 15 for that county or until I am working that county again. I know it takes a couple of months to get 15 leads in some of the small counties I work. So yeah, when I work a county like that some of the leads are going to be a week old and some are going to be two months old.

Sometimes someone else has gottn to those people and sold them something by the time I get the card. That's great. The other agent has found a buyer. I replace policies all the time that are less than a month old.

It's not really an issue of old leads. The returns here are so bad that they will tell me that they only have 8 in one county and 7 in another. I will take it that way and work one county one day and the other the next day.

There is only fairly large cith near me and that's really the only area where I know I'll be for 3-4 weeks at a time with 15 leads every week.

1. You are guaranteed to NEVER lose your coverage, no matter how old you get, or what happens to your health. Your coverage is with you your whole life. Guaranteed.
2. Coverage is guaranteed and immediate from day 1, regardless of your health, even if you’ve had a history of heart, lung, cancer, or diabetes problems.
3. Your rates will NEVER go up. They are locked in the rest of your life.
4. You coverage can never go down. In some cases, it can actually increase over time.
5. Rates are easily affordable for people on a tight budget or a fixed income.
6. Coverage is available from as little as $1,000.00, all the way up to $75,000.00.

There it is.

I have to say, how are u offering someone immediate coverage for HA, Cancer, COP with Oxygen, or Stroke??

Id like to be appointed with them!!

I have to say, how are u offering someone immediate coverage for HA, Cancer, COP with Oxygen, or Stroke??

I take it that since it doesn't say "full coverage from day 1" that it is referring to the ROP benefit coverage from day one which is always in excess of premiums paid. Not much coverage but it is "coverage".

A HISTORY of those things doesn't mean you have it currently. Many companies only worry about a 2-year lookback.

A Lot of good ideas with this mailer. I think you gave upon it too early Dave.

A HISTORY of those things doesn't mean you have it currently. Many companies only worry about a 2-year lookback.

A Lot of good ideas with this mailer. I think you gave upon it too early Dave.

Yes I understand that, but if u read his flier, he talks about Colonial Penn and others who have 2yr waiting periods & how hes not offering that! Then he goes on to say IMMEDIATE Coverage is GUARANTEED.....

I would change that, otherwise for some ppl, all he can offer is a 2yr waiting period type policy, which is exactly what he said he doesnt do on the other side of the flier....JMO!

Last edited:
I'm attaching the FE mailer some of you may remember I discussed using back in March or April this year for your review and free usage.

Results from it were around a 3:1 ROI. Goal was 5:1 ROI.

The goal of the piece was to drive high-quality leads to call a free 24 hour recorded hotline to learn more about how my burial insurance programs worked, in order to eliminate tire kickers and so on.

However, I still had to door-knock some of the leads, as opposed to setting appointments via the telephone, as many did not pick up the phone.

Would I do it again? Maaaaybe. I definitely needed to drop closer to 10,000 pieces (only did 3000 total) before getting a real comfortable idea on the true viability of the direct mail piece.

I think with some tweaks (perhaps tweaking some of the body copy... making the headline bigger... and shortening the recorded message down (was around 9 to 11 minutes in length -- and YES, people did listen to the WHOLE THING and leave a message), it might be possible to hit 5:1 ROI over a large sample and roll it out.

That was where the strength of the piece was -- if you could set appointments with highly qualified people (as they listened to the whole message and voluntarily left their information), you could potentially spend all your time with highly qualified folks, and close a lot more volume.

But right now I'm sticking with BRM generics, as those are tried and true and work consistently.

Thanks for sharing this information this is something I have wanted to try and I think with the changes I make to this I might just have a shot...But where did you come up with the Cost of $5,000....you used a Bulk Mailing stamp...and if you are mailing in the same zip codes the cost is normally cheaper...and the list you can get that cost low due to the fact that you are mailing to everyone....or did you target this list to seniors?

Good questions.

1) I think 15-20 calls; most had some level of interest. Some would listen to the message and hang up. We'd call behind those asking for an appointment and most wouldn't set.
2) I closed something like 33% to 40% of leads.
3) I forget the list parameters I used; I'm sure I could dig it up if I was motivated. I think I dropped to 60-75 year olds with no income filter.
4) It was more or less your typical FE market -- I did nail a huge whale ($200+ Monthly AP) and did a few smaller $30-$40 apps.
5) I WILL say on second thought, while you had a few folks living in projects, I did see people who on the surface have done OK.
6) Typical FE environ as far as payments -- a few money orders, bank drafts, some had no bank account, others just had direct express. Personally, not enough information to arrive at any sort of distinction.
7) Some people had health issues, but not a bunch of people dying on the vine.

The results as far as closing percentage and interest level were on par with a VB campaign.

PS: One thing I would definitely do differently is sell the appointment without qualifying on the phone (maybe just qualify for checking accounts) and see and close them in person.

Reason is I explain everything on the pre-recorded message, and the assumption is they're interested if they just spent the last 11 minutes listening to me describe life insurance.

The way I approached it was to do however I wanted to do it, versus staying disciplined with one approach. I set unqualified appointments, pre-qualed hard over the phoned, without a one-track approach.

I would have probably gotten superior results that way if I just sold the appointment hard; especially if I was a more advanced agent and could sell annuities, or if I was prepared to sell things like cancer insurance or grandchild insurance.

If you had set the income ceiling at say $40k rather than no income filter you would have had a higher % responders. The people in the incomes above $50k hardly respond at all. Good data you have.

Readon, who'd you use to drop the campaign? How much did the 3000 piece drop run you?

Latest posts

Back