Final Expense dress code

I mix it up, but I try and make each initial appointment in a shirt and tie. However, on the stupid hot days in the summer, I am in a polo.

Do clients give a rats ass? Yes they do. I have talked to some clients about working with other agents and they mention professionalism. If you have not heard that from a client, you may be on the wrong side of the story.

Are we making insurance out to more then it should be? Well, that is just separating the insurance slinger from the professional.

Good rule! It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Exactly, in a previous job, I called on human resource managers for most of the large companies in Ky and In. The first time I went to any business, even if it was a salvage yard, I wore a tie. The next time, I knew how the managers there dressed and I went accordingly.

One place always made a joke of the fact that I wore a tie there the first time, but, they never forgot me.:biggrin:

Exactly, in a previous job, I called on human resource managers for most of the large companies in Ky and In. The first time I went to any business, even if it was a salvage yard, I wore a tie. The next time, I knew how the managers there dressed and I went accordingly.

One place always made a joke of the fact that I wore a tie there the first time, but, they never forgot me.:biggrin:

I think that is a very good point, dress appropriately, and that usually means that you need to be dressed one notch higher than your client. Once you get a feel for the final expense industry, you pretty well know how your client will be dressed.

I know agents who sell FE in suit and tie, and do very well. However, I don't think that anyone will tell you that your are going to miss a single sale by wearing khaki's and a polo. That is perceived as "dressy" by the majority of final expense clients. If you display your professionalism through your words and actions, no one will even remember what you were wearing when you visited with them.

Dress For Success, is one of the most important books I read my last semester in college.

Dress appropriately with respect to the client you will be seeing. Where I live, and with my particular market, I do not wear a tie except when attending funerals and seminars, and I have broken that rule a couple times at seminars and have seen no negative effect, but I was uncomfortable, so never again. If I was paying someone to do the seminars for me though, I would always require a suit and tie, but for home appts., it would depend on the situation and the clientele. ;)

I'm all about double standards. :yes:

I know agents who sell FE in suit and tie, and do very well. However, I don't think that anyone will tell you that your are going to miss a single sale by wearing khaki's and a polo. That is perceived as "dressy" by the majority of final expense clients. If you display your professionalism through your words and actions, no one will even remember what you were wearing when you visited with them.

You are right on... again. Dockers and a polo are considered "Sunday's Best" for most FE clients. I know a guy here on the board (Stratus) wears khaki shorts/w golf shirt in the summer, and he sells tons of final expense. What you wear is really more for the agent. Most new agent wearing a tie makes them more confident, and that is the most important part. Whatever makes you comfortable and confident is what I would recommend...

For the best Final Expense opportunity in the country contact me at [email protected]

Dress for success. I am wearing flip flops and I don't feel as productive as when I when slacks and a polo. But when your selling everything over the phone and you don't have to drive anymore you can wear what you want.

Dress for success. I am wearing flip flops and I don't feel as productive as when I when slacks and a polo. But when your selling everything over the phone and you don't have to drive anymore you can wear what you want.

maybe you're not feeling productive because you've spent the entire day on this forum commenting on every final expense thread!

productivity isn't linked to shoes, its linked to hitting the phones and work ethic!

I think you can be overdressed... you should always dress one notch above your prospect... of course there is a cap (if you're going to call on a business man wearing a suit, don't wear a tux).

If you're in doubt, wear a suit... you can always remove the tie and dress it down quite a bit...

Back