Final Expense dress code

I tell all my Agents to dress up in a black cloak and carry a pitch fork with a noose around thier neck ... maybe that's the reason for slumping sales, I dont know.

The beauty of being self employed, no dress code.

You want to wear jeans and a polo, or a 3 piece suit, or fuzzy bunny slippers and a robe, then you can.

I've done well with a beaver-pelt loin cloth and Hillary for 2012 T-shirt. I do dress it up with some Doc Martins and a Jughead cap as well as knee-high black socks.

You never get a 2nd chance to make a good first impression, I always say.

Personally, I will be so glad when I can get rid of this choking tie.

All seriousness aside, the image you project does affect your bottom line... I prefer to set a professional image, and my spiel also reflects my professional approach. Being organized in my presentation is as important as how I dress. I wear a dress shirt and tie. Coat in Winter, optional in Spring and Fall, and left home in Summer. As was mentioned earlier, if it gets really hot, off comes the tie, but a dress shirt is still a notch above a polo in my book.

As much as you may want to put your client at ease, dressing too casually "dresses down" your presentation. I slow down my speil and use small talk to put them at ease, rather than just looking sloppy.

All seriousness aside, the image you project does affect your bottom line... I prefer to set a professional image

Some sage advice right there.

I've read a bunch of posts about dressing so that your prospect feels "comfortable".

If this is so important, why don't doctors and lawyers do it?

If you want to be perceived and respected as a professional, dress like one. If you want to be perceived as being like the cable guy...

Some sage advice right there.

I've read a bunch of posts about dressing so that your prospect feels "comfortable".

If this is so important, why don't doctors and lawyers do it?

If you want to be perceived and respected as a professional, dress like one. If you want to be perceived as being like the cable guy...

Didn't know doctors and lawyers did house calls anymore.

Didn't know doctors and lawyers did house calls anymore.

Everybody is going to have their own style; and to those I say to each his own. I will say this if you do not have the money for a decent suit then wear something else.

I was recently invited to participate in an interview with another agent who was also "in the hunt" for the business. I know the title of the thread is for FE, but will tell this story anyway.

The gentleman represented Northwestern Mutual, and it was a rather large life case. When Mr. NWM Agent had the board room floor he stood up and reached to the middle of the table when his Suit jacket sleeve started to unravel. It unraveled leaving an 8" gap, and the agent was so mortified, that after his presentation he did not stay around for my presentation.

So here is this guy pitching the board of this company and trying to convince them it was in their best interest to pay almost 200K a year for life policies; and this agent could not spend a few hundred bucks for a decent suit. What does this say about the agent? Now many will say that I am being harsh, and to those I will say, stay in FE and wear blue jeans. There is nothing wrong with that; I personally value a more professional business look. That is my .02 worth, and worth nothing more.

Now this might not seem like a big deal; but several of the board members were chuckling under their breath during his presentation. Needless to say I got the deal, and going the extra step to make sure I had a fresh suit from the cleaners made a world of difference. I hope this helps.........

Everybody is going to have their own style; and to those I say to each his own. I will say this if you do not have the money for a decent suit then wear something else.

I was recently invited to participate in an interview with another agent who was also "in the hunt" for the business. I know the title of the thread is for FE, but will tell this story anyway.

The gentleman represented Northwestern Mutual, and it was a rather large life case. When Mr. NWM Agent had the board room floor he stood up and reached to the middle of the table when his Suit jacket sleeve started to unravel. It unraveled leaving an 8" gap, and the agent was so mortified, that after his presentation he did not stay around for my presentation.

So here is this guy pitching the board of this company and trying to convince them it was in their best interest to pay almost 200K a year for life policies; and this agent could not spend a few hundred bucks for a decent suit. What does this say about the agent? Now many will say that I am being harsh, and to those I will say, stay in FE and wear blue jeans. There is nothing wrong with that; I personally value a more professional business look. That is my .02 worth, and worth nothing more.

Now this might not seem like a big deal; but several of the board members were chuckling under their breath during his presentation. Needless to say I got the deal, and going the extra step to make sure I had a fresh suit from the cleaners made a world of difference. I hope this helps.........

You are spot on... couldn't say it better. Just to underscore it though, there is a distinct difference between the dress code at NYL and FIG! The clientele you meet with will often set the code. In the case of FE where one meets lower income middle class, you run the danger of overdressing and putting a wall between you and your prospect. I still dress professionally, and think everyone should, but I don't wear an expensive suit to pitch a $50/mo policy, yet I don't see the need to dress like I just stepped out of the barnyard.

Back