Final Expense Leads

What I have found over 20 years of being a producer is that the lead wording is doesn’t matter at all.

A lead gets me in front of the prospect/suspect.

It’s up to me to decide which they are. And I do in less than 5 minutes.

I see absolutely no difference in the RGI, TLC or survey leads.

But I will say that the agent not making sales with RGI, TLC,NAL,etc. will not make sales with the survey either.

As for how many use them or don’t, I have no idea. Nor care.

I’m concerned about my business and income. No one else’s.

You’re correct in the end all that matters is your NET income . How you do it’s meaningless .You get a batch of leads there your leads . It’s your job to find a way to make them work no matter how bad you think they are. No excuses . You might do it this way and someone else does it that way . One thing that’s helped me is being open minded to how others do thing and learning new ways . I saw a nifty door knocking technique the other day online that I’m going to try that potentionally prevents any resistance at the door .

I want someone who sent the card in for life insurance,not a gift.

Sounds like anyone mailing the gift card lead and getting 2-3% returns is dealing with 1-2% of broke time wasters,people who want something free ?

That’s a lot of running around for nothing.

I’m looking for buyers. I find out pretty fast if I’ve got one and if I don’t I’m outta there and on to the next card.

I can’t tell you how many leads i write i believe have red flags i tell them”don’t waste my time . I’m busy seeing 20-30 people a week. If you’re not interested in this I’ll walk right now. I’m giving you a chance right now to tell me to get the hell out of here . Are you committed to this $70 a month ?” . It shocks many I’m so blunt but that works for me .Thats for people that have no insurance or might have a history of lapsing I detect .

I want someone who sent the card in for life insurance,not a gift.

Sounds like anyone mailing the gift card lead and getting 2-3% returns is dealing with 1-2% of broke time wasters,people who want something free ?

That’s a lot of running around for nothing.

I’m looking for buyers. I find out pretty fast if I’ve got one and if I don’t I’m outta there and on to the next card.
You sound like me 20 years ago when I created my first custom leads.
I did a full size page in full color. Had my pretty face on them and my name, address, phone number and very detailed description on one side about Final Expense insurance and how I worked for YOU not the insurance carriers and would shop your rates and find you the lowest price possible.
The other side did the same but was for term insurance. Both sides had sample rates and clearly told them I was their local independent insurance agent.
It had a tear off postage paid reply card and I did it as newspaper inserts (back when most seniors got the daily newspaper). 10,000 of them cost me around $2500 I think.
Picture me rubbing my hands together waiting for those sweet, sweet, well qualified leads…

Well I got 4- replies. Same quality as any other lead. Thought it was free. No, not interested. Oh, is this about insurance? Same ol’ same ol’

I was a tough student. I did a few more dumb attempts at designing leads that got me people that were ready to buy some insurance. I finally learned that those little generic cards that everyone mails that look like crap are the best lead that has ever existed. I probably spent $10,000 to learn that. So that the guys who came later didn’t have to. Some still have to learn the hard way though.

I did a full size page in full color. Had my pretty face on them and my name, address, phone number and very detailed description on one side about Final Expense insurance and how I worked for YOU not the insurance carriers and would shop your rates and find you the lowest price possible.
The other side did the same but was for term insurance. Both sides had sample rates and clearly told them I was their local independent insurance agent.
It had a tear off postage paid reply card and I did it as newspaper inserts (back when most seniors got the daily newspaper). 10,000 of them cost me around $2500 I think.
Picture me rubbing my hands together waiting for those sweet, sweet, well qualified leads…

Well I got 4- replies. Same quality as any other lead. Thought it was free. No, not interested. Oh, is this about insurance? Same ol’ same ol’

I was a tough student. I did a few more dumb attempts at designing leads that got me people that were ready to buy some insurance. I finally learned that those little generic cards that everyone mails that look like crap are the best lead that has ever existed. I probably spent $10,000 to learn that. So that the guys who came later didn’t have to. Some still have to learn the hard way though.

Good stuff! It's funny to realize how many people failed out after trying to reinvent the wheel. As the old saying goes, don't fix what ain't broke.

I've had my best weeks writing 2-3 yr old RGI leads. The ones who will set have certainly already bought insurance and some even have cash value for me to dangle in front of them. Worst problem with those are the folks who say, "Yeah, I was shopping two yrs ago. Now I have something in place and I've since lost this leg to diabetes and am on oxygen." Doesn't happen a lot, but I've run into it several times in the same week.

I can't count how many people's situations are the exact opposite of what they put on the WM survey and, when I get to the door, they look at it and say, "I must have misunderstood this." Then I buy some Internet leads where I have no physical lead card to show them and 100% of them say, "Yeah, I filled out some form on the Internet the other day, looking for info on this." 100% of them say they did it when I have no lead card to show them.

Last edited:
I've had my best weeks writing 2-3 yr old RGI leads. The ones who will set have certainly already bought insurance and some even have cash value for me to dangle in front of them. Worst problem with those are the folks who say, "Yeah, I was shopping two yrs ago. Now I have something in place and I've since lost this leg to diabetes and am on oxygen." Doesn't happen a lot, but I've run into it several times in the same week.

The difference between the RGI and WM surveys is not the quality of the prospect, but rather the return rates in certain markets. RGI gets horrible returns in AZ now, but the WM surveys still do well. I can't count how many people's situations are the exact opposite of what they put on the WM survey and, when I get to the door, they look at it and say, "I must have misunderstood this." Then I buy some Internet leads where I have no physical lead card to show them and 100% of them say, "Yeah, I filled out some form on the Internet the other day, looking for info on this." 100% of them say they did it when I have no lead card to show them.

Why not work the Internet leads then? Aren't they cheaper?

The dirt cheap ones went away recently. There are still some vendors for them and I will try some soon. But they were $6 for a while with a min. order of 40. You really couldn't lose with those, if you did a little work. First time I ever tried some aged Internet leads, they were something like $2 each. First one I touched I walked out of there with $3300 AP. DK'ed the next one and woman was like, "Where have you been? I've been waiting for someone to contact me about this." I couldn't believe it.

Your correct in saying nobody responds to “ you want to buy life ins “ . But if what the lead card says is totally irrelevant just say “ FREE $10 Walmart gift card . Just fill out your name and address and I’ll get it to you “ . We all know you got to be as vague as possible to get a decent response . But you still want some semblance it’s about burial products . What Noah’s saying is when 90% of focus is on a gift card you get a ton of dead brokes who have no burial ins nor will buy any . He’s saying he doesn’t want to waste time weeding threw tons of those . As I said I know many fex agents and I understand your emphasis on wanting the lead to have ins so you can replace it . Knowing there already paying for ins so they’ll keep it .That’s fine but with a free dominated lead the amount of wasted dead beats will be much greater than the standard “ state regulated “ final exp’s. And many face book leads today know there filling out the sheet for burial ins . Like I’ve always said . Deposits and net income don’t lie . Find what works for you and do it

The WM leads don't specify a dollar amount. You could, technically speaking, hand them a card with $0 on it and you've still given them a WM gift card. And at least half the ones I receive, the people do not check the very conspicuous box that says "Yes, I please send me my ....." Some of these folks just think they need to fill out anything they get in the mail.

Your correct in saying nobody responds to “ you want to buy life ins “ . But if what the lead card says is totally irrelevant just say “ FREE $10 Walmart gift card . Just fill out your name and address and I’ll get it to you “ . We all know you got to be as vague as possible to get a decent response . But you still want some semblance it’s about burial products . What Noah’s saying is when 90% of focus is on a gift card you get a ton of dead brokes who have no burial ins nor will buy any . He’s saying he doesn’t want to waste time weeding threw tons of those . As I said I know many fex agents and I understand your emphasis on wanting the lead to have ins so you can replace it . Knowing there already paying for ins so they’ll keep it .That’s fine but with a free dominated lead the amount of wasted dead beats will be much greater than the standard “ state regulated “ final exp’s. And many face book leads today know there filling out the sheet for burial ins . Like I’ve always said . Deposits and net income don’t lie . Find what works for you and do it
You are thinking of the ones that have the $5 or $10 check as the mailer. Where if they cash the check they become a lead. You have way more garbage on those and they already have their money/gift before you ever call them. So that’s a LOT of quantity but much lower quality.

When you offer a gift card on a lead you have very small percent that are just after the gift card. And even the ones who are have to meet with you to bring it to them. I have run those leads since 1996. They were the first leads I cut my teeth on. $10 Shell Gas Card Leads back when you could get close to 10 gallons of gas for that. 😂

Even when people would say, I was just mailing that in to get the gift card. I have no interest at all they usually will let you present what you do and do a comparison to what they are currently doing. That’s all any good agent is looking for. Many of those you can improve their position. Others you give them their card and move on.

Any lead we use can be done with a gift card offer or without it. So, like you said, whatever the agent feels works better for his bottom line is what he does. We have agents that hit over $10,000 and more a week very consistently and none of them is spending even $1000 a week leads. You just have to have a lead source that gets you in front of people and have the right training the right companies and put in the work.

Back