Florida Adult - Unemployed - Health Insurance Options?

Jan 19, 2016

1. samgood

samgood New Member

I will appreciate any input on this issue.

Unemployed male adult approx. 32 years old.

No major health issues, non smoker, no drugs, etc. Normal weight and height

Not sure why, but he quit his job and has no coverage. He won't at this time qualify for Obamacare due to no income. And I understand that since Florida has not expanded Medicaid, he won't qualify for that, either.

He is living at his parents' home and they would pay premiums.

What, if any, options are available, please? Are there good companies with affordable premiums?

Thank you.

samgood, Jan 19, 2016
  2. Zanetti90

Zanetti90 Super Genius

State:
    Florida
    Humana off exchange is one of them
    .... pm me for more details

3. samgood

samgood New Member

Thanks, Zanetti90. I pm'd you.

samgood, Jan 19, 2016
  4. YouGotMyMoney

YouGotMyMoney Guru

State:
    Florida
    Humana POS, put him with something he can actually use like BlueSelect from FL BLUE :D

5. samgood

samgood New Member

Okay, YouGotMyMoney. Thank you for your suggestion.

What do you mean by that? Please elaborate.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    samgood, Jan 19, 2016
  6. Norwayguy

Norwayguy I have spent way too much time here.

State:
    Maine
    Tell him to put his big boy pants on and get a job....32 and living on mommy and daddy really.

7. samgood

samgood New Member

Norwayguy....thank you for your helpful suggestion. I am very happy nothing has ever happened to you or your children that would affect you so greatly.

I do understand there are a lot of snarky comments on this site and I suppose that is fine for some.

If per chance you and your family suffer some situation that throws you all for a loop, I hope you come on here looking for help and get it, and that someone like you does not answer your request.

I thought the purpose of these forums was to share pertinent information regarding insurance issues, not personal judgments.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    samgood, Jan 20, 2016
  8. Chazm

Chazm Guru

State:
    Florida
    I mean you've received some suggestions but if his parents are going to pay his premiums just have him go to healthscherpa.com and look up some prices. It's not that hard. Most agents don't get paid a dime in FL so I wouldn't waste too much of your time.

Chazm, Jan 20, 2016
  9. FLM2

FLM2 Guru

The snarky comments are because premiums off exchange in Florida for him will start at $200+ per month for the lowest level Bronze plan, how is he going to pay that without any income?

FLM2, Jan 20, 2016
  10. samgood

samgood New Member

Thank you, Chazm. I did not know about healthscherpa.com

I am not a health agent; just trying to find information for someone I care about.

----------

FLM2..Thank you also for your input. Yes, I have now seen what off exchange premiums are. Not too bad. His parents would start him off and I surely believe he will be employed again as soon as he possibly can. I don't know exactly what happened, because he had a responsible and rewarding job and has a good college education. I am not asking. It is highly unusual for anyone in this family to be unemployed at all. There is something I don't know and I am sure it is temporary.

samgood, Jan 20, 2016